• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC

frj00

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport 4wd 4.0 SOHC
Where can i get performance parts other than the chip and cat back system..Looking for Saleen explorer parts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont think you can get saleen stuff anymore (www.saleen.com) unless someone has some stuff they want to sell you. the only other thing you can do really is to get a KKM or K&N, then theres always rims, tires, shocks, sway bars, but nothing for power really. i mean, you could do a nitrous setup, but no supercharger kits or turbo kits. you can get a bigger maf, but thats pretty much a waste of cash cuz it wont give you much of a gain.

theres no underdrive pulleys, or anything really for the SOHC.

well, if you want 22hp and 5 lb/ft torque for $205, Dead Link Removed

Go to www.truckperformance.com

I know that there is an intake kit by K&N and a higher performance MAS by Granitelli. aside from that.... there are not too many mode for it just yet. Just check out that web site.

Oh ya....and don't forget about NOS and the supercharger that is just about done by Explorer Express......... got an exttra $3600 lying around burning a hole in your pocket?:rolleyes:

Wow, I never believed Explorer Express would ever finish it. I thought they dropped the project all together. I guess I'll have to think up some good reasons for my Wife why I need one.

Attachments

• supercharger.jpg
    supercharger.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 491

too bad that's been up there for a while :rolleyes:

I'll believe it when I see it.

:eek: :eek: Holy Crap!!! EE updated their site!!!:eek: :eek:

Alec, the sight has been updated within the last few months. A couple of years ago, EE had a small text message mentioning it. Sometime about a year or so ago, they took all information regarding the SOHC blower off their sight. The last time I checked was about three months ago. It wasn't there then. Now it is, which tells me they are still working on it and according to their add are in the final stages. I would guess that we'll see them start showing up in about 6 months.

Wish I had the cash for it. :rolleyes:

Geez, isn't the SOHC like 200-210 HP stock? I mean, that ain't too shabby for a SUV. My 5.0 has about the same power and I think it is fine for what the vehicle was produced to do. It is not a sports car! It is not meant to be! If someone wants a vehicle to go fast and drive on the street, get a fast car. It is incredibly cheaper (and less hassle) than buying a SOHC X and making it into a fast street vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I understand having more power in a truck (used as a truck) is very helpful, but 210 HP in a 4300 lb SUV is more than needed to do what it it meant to do. I just can't see 3600 to get some more power out of it. From what I have learned, the SOHC is stretched out about as far as it can go with only 4.0 liters. Seriously, it is only 4 liters, it ain't a 351.

Robb

btw: I await the flaming

if u have an X and you really want some power.. the ONLY way to go is get an X with an 8... it the only motor then can be modded they way people want to.. 3600 for the SC is a RIP IMO

I'd like to have more power just because I think it would be pretty cool to tear ass out of the hole and whoop something that would normally blow the explorer away. I have no plans of getting a supercharger, or doing any more engine mods (I don't think there are anymore), but it sure would be cool to have one.

So do y'all hate me?

Alec, have you been on a dyno?

200hp at the wheels right after the install. Based on mods and tuning since, and accel times I have in the neighborhood of 235 at the wheels now.

Originally posted by Alec
So do y'all hate me?

Alec, you know I don't! I actually threw in that line about trucks wanting more power just for you.

Robb

Originally posted by Alec
200hp at the wheels right after the install. Based on mods and tuning since, and accel times I have in the neighborhood of 235 at the wheels now.
So if mine is 210 stock, plus a superchip (supposed to be 20HP), KKM and catback, that would probably put me right around 240 at the crank. Assuming that there is a 20% loss in the drive train, that makes 192HP at the wheels... and I only spent $700... so no, I don't hate you.;)

I cry BS!!! hehe, I'd guess more like 180 with those mods, if you're lucky.

180? That would mean I've only gained 12HP over stock. I sure hope I've got more than that out of these mods.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are been a few dyno tests of OHVs with minor mods. Usually the bolt-ons give a total gain of 10-15 rwhp. However, remember that it's not all about peak hp. There's also your power curve and throttle response. There's no doubt that the bolt-ons better throttle response. As for power curves, the majority of my 235 hp is available from 2500 rpms on, as opposed to only at high rpms. The stock OHV and SOHC have fairly "pointy" power curves, meaning you only make good power in a small range. Mods usually widen that curve until it really starts to flatten out, like mine:

Attachments

• pass3graph.jpg
    pass3graph.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 441

Back