• Register Today It's free!

4.0 swap for stock explorer 302

geharbison

Reaction score
City, State
Cullman Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt
I have a 97 with the ohv 4.0, and it's getting on in age. It still runs very well, but I want to be prepared when the engine does decide to go. I don't want to do anything drastic, but I do want a bigger engine. I want to find a junkyard explorer with an intact 302 and manual tranny. I also want to keep the fuel injection system, no carburetor. I just want to know what all would need to be changed to go from the smaller to the larger engine. And I also only think that explorers came with a stick shift. If I can find one I would much prefer it, mainly because that's just one less thing hooked up to a computer. Thanks.

Search the forum its been done many times.

Ford never had a manual tranny come with a V8 explorer.

There was never an V8 Explorer with a Manual transmission.

It CAN be done, but it requires quite a bit of tuning, as the Transmission functions are encoded into the ECM.

Your best bet is to buy a wrecked 96-97 V8 Explorer off craigslist, park it next to your current one, pull EVERYTHING from the engine bay, and start swapping parts.

Ryan

If your car is a 2wd, the manual trans swap wouldn't be that difficult a proposition. That would make a very cool driver! But it also isn't plug and play. You are going to have to come up with some innovative ideas to get past a few of the wiring problems, cross member location, shifter location, PCM work, etc. But it's sure something that's doable and worth looking into! Think about how cool a T56 would be in one of these...

Back