• Register Today It's free!

4.0 V6 Rebuild and bullet proof

Oliver Grey

Reaction score
City, State
Reno, NEVADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Alright, as we all know the 4.0 V6 has its fair share of issues. I have a 2005 XLT with 125,000 on it and I plan to try to keep this motor running smooth as possible. On the other hand I have an 04 XLT with 212,000 on it and want to pull the motor and rebuild it, this leads me into a few questions.

is there anyway we can adress the timing issue so I won’t have to worry about it for the life of the engine other then adding a pre Oiler? Is there a way to change the tensioners to someting more reliable,
Is there difrent chain guides you could instal, maybe metal ones?
What are some things that would be beneficial to add to the motor or change while rebuilding it... forged internals? New cams?

Other than the typical timing chain issue what other issues seem to be unavoidable and is there a way we can change that with the rebuild?

Thank you in advanced for everyone’s knowledge and information.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do your rebuild and install a pre oiler
There is manual tensioner
No all metal rear guide ...yet...

Why no pre oiler ??? It's the best engine investment I ever made

IMG_20181207_1100061_rewind.jpg

I definitely plan to ad a pre Oiler and oil bypass filter soon. But has the pre Oiler proven to keep the timing from failing at this point? Has there been reports of the pre Oiler failing the drivers and timing still being an issue?

Yes it has saved my timing guides ...my original engine had the rattle on startup I installed the pre oiler never heard it again

No I have yet to hear someone report a failure with the pre oiler

@donalds Can you provide me with any additional info about this pre oiler? :) Sounds good

Back