4.0 w/5r55s will a 4.6 cobra motor bolt up.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 w/5r55s will a 4.6 cobra motor bolt up....

bluebeast

Reaction score
City, State
buras, la
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 explorer xlt awd
I know it has been talked about alot i just have a few questions because the search option is not giving me a straight answer.

Will the 4.6 cobra or any 4.6 bolt up to my 5r55s (my truck is AWD 3:55's)?

Will i need a wiring harness for that motor?(I'm sure ill need the computers for it)

Will i need new motor mounts?

Will my accessories bolt up like alternator, ac, mainly those two?

Can I run and e-fan on this setup?

Current modifications 3 inch body lift, 3 inch truxx suspension lift, 285 70 17's custom intake, and thrush turbo muffler with 3 inch tip

And what else will i need to make this work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No it Will NOT bolt up... Your 5r55s like mine is a one piece case/ bellhousing.... The bolt pattern is totally different... Advanced adapters used to make a adapter but no longer do...
Trust me I was trying to get a tci mustang trans(05-09 has the 5r55s) but I was assured by many companies it won't work...

Every accessory is different also... It's not worth even trying unless you do a complete drivetrain swap + standalone pcm.... If you were to do all that you could just keep your x and with what'd you'd spend you could buy a second x...

Thanks but wat about an explorer 4.6 would that work?

No...you'll have the same challenges Will mentioned even with a motor from a V8 Explorer. The problem is after swapping motors, transmissions, electronics, accessories, etc (because you'll need all of that) its prob not worth it.

If you want your truck to have more get up and go, the most straightforward thing on a v6 would be to regear the axles.

Now if you found a 4.6 v8 explorer with good transmission and a dead motor, you could definitely swap in a 5.4 with a lot less work than a v6 to v8 swap. For that all you need is a tune and some minor tweaks to the y pipe. Everything else fits right up and works apparently. After that it wouldnt be a big deal to lift it and you wouldn't even need to regear.

the cheapest way is to sell you truck and buy 2006+ V8, and you'll get 6 speed trans in the deal along with AdvancedTrac® with RSC and SYNC

Well my truck is already lifted so the 4.6 trans with a 5.4 and computer and harness sounds better

Well my truck is already lifted so the 4.6 trans with a 5.4 and computer and harness sounds better

Agree, it would be a sweet setup, and it would be cool to see someone pull it off. With that said, it will take a serious amount of work and money to do it properly, but if that's not an issue and you have another vehicle to drive for a while when you're doing the swap then maybe it isn't a big deal.

Last time I'll say this, but you would be amazed at the result you would get from regearing your axles to 4.56 ratio with your current setup. Even if you paid a shop to do all the labor you would likely spend a lot less money on that than you would for a full on transmission/motor swap, and rewiring of the truck.

On my 2004 I went from 3.55 to 4.10 gearing with 265/75/16 and it felt like a new truck, and the mileage improved too. Just my two cents.

Well ronin ill try and be safe im a firefighter so im staying with my station, and ill look into regearing but i have AWD would i need two sets of gears if so where could i get the gears?

Well ronin ill try and be safe im a firefighter so im staying with my station, and ill look into regearing but i have AWD would i need two sets of gears if so where could i get the gears?

Gotcha....hopefully you guys won't be needed too badly, thanks for what you do.

Yes, you'll need gears for both the front and rear differential as well as installation kits. You can get the parts you need from www.ringpinion.com. give them a call, they are really helpful over the phone and can help you order exactly what you need. I would recommend a 4.10 or 4.56 ratio front and rear for your setup.

Find a good driveline shop near you that does a lot of ring and pinion installs. The diffs definitely need to be removed from the truck to install the gears, but seeing as you were able to pull off the body lift and spacer lift yourself then you shouldn't have a lot of trouble. Look in the aussie locker install thread at the top of the 2002-2005 forum for details on how to pull the rear diff. The front one is easier. It's probably worth doing all this yourself to save you money on labor.

Anyway once you have the diffs out, take them and your gears/install kits to the shop and they can install the gears in for probably around 600-700 bucks.

I got my gears from rock auto 150 ea...

I know it has been talked about alot i just have a few questions because the search option is not giving me a straight answer.

Will the 4.6 cobra or any 4.6 bolt up to my 5r55s (my truck is AWD 3:55's)?

Will i need a wiring harness for that motor?(I'm sure ill need the computers for it)

Will i need new motor mounts?

Will my accessories bolt up like alternator, ac, mainly those two?

Can I run and e-fan on this setup?

Current modifications 3 inch body lift, 3 inch truxx suspension lift, 285 70 17's custom intake, and thrush turbo muffler with 3 inch tip

And what else will i need to make this work?
Hey guy, keep your SUV you have now. Get a parts lincoln aviator. If it has good heads and intake even better. These trucks come with a 32v 4.6 already in them. You will need the steering assembly, and a lot of odds and ends. You do not need a body lift unless your going with the 5.4. Use the heads from the aviator. They are the 2nd best flowing heads the market has available and the intakes are really great for stock. If you plan on off road the aviator has a traction control that would make for good comparison even for a rubicon jeep. These aviators are great SUVs but little heavier with the extra beeffing up. On the frame and comforts. Your explorer will be lighter. I got my wife a black 4x2 aviator ive lowered, lightened up around 200lbs off the front end, Performance exhaust, tuned, with a turbo and cams to come later. And I have a white AWD/4WD one I'm putting in a navigator 5.4 bottom end and heads from the aviator. 3"body and looking for little 3-6" suspension lift to put some 35s under it.

Back