• Register Today It's free!

4.0L Rear Timing Chain Jump

greenierjoe

Reaction score
City, State
South Windsor, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Hello, I am a new member and been a Ford owner for 48 years. I just experienced a cracked right valve cover on my 2005 Explorer. Also I received 7 engine codes relating to the right bank of cylinders misfiring. I removed the valve cover and observed gouges where the chain came in contact with the cover. I see that the plastic guide had moved a bit and was able to pop it back in position. I removed the tensioner and discovered it to be grinding as I depressed it. I expect the loss of tension caused the chain to jump a tooth on the sprocket and crack the cover, giving me the codes. I expect replacement of the bad tensioner will solve the original problem, but how do I know which direction to move the chain on the sprocket to get it back to the correct timing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh god, don't even try. Pull the engine and drop in a wrecker, or replace your guides. If it actually jumped time odds are all the valves are bent on that side anyway.

Oh god, don't even try. Pull the engine and drop in a wrecker, or replace your guides. If it actually jumped time odds are all the valves are bent on that side anyway.
I did drive it for about 20 miles after the event to get home and the engine seemed to run fine except for the oil leak from the valve cover.

Also, i just want to get it back together so i can get a new F150.

I see now its the passenger side. Only option is to pull the engine and replace the guides or sell it as a mechanic special for pennies on the dollar. That or scrap.

Which side went driver or passenger side?
My '97 popped a hole in the left cover a month or so back. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet (parked it).

Back