Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4.0L SOHC Explorer with an OHV belt tensioner.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by phord2112, June 14, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. phord2112

phord2112 New Member

City, State:
      Milwaukee
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 Explorer Sport
      Hey there! I would appreciate any help on this. My belt tensioner recently snapped on my SOHC Explorer, but it seems to have a OHV belt tensioner!!! How is this possible? The one on my engine is lighter duty, thinner spring, narrower distance from pulley to spring, but most important it has the wider opening and slot , for shaft with locating key, very different than the SOHC.

I HAVE AN SOHC ENGINE, NO DOUBT. I then suspected that the parts store had it wrong. Every store and online shop have the SOHC belt tens. as the heavy duty, larger one. THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE.

Questions:

1) Is there something that could have been swapped from a OHV engine?

2)How do I know which serp belt to use?

3)Is it safe to say that OHV/SOHC engine swapping would be a bad idea due to the numerous engine compartment,etc. differences?

4)Can I punch someone if they tell me I have a SUV, not a truck?:D

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    4. RomeovilleIL

RomeovilleIL Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Illinois
      98 LTD, 00 XLT
      Encountered the same issue with the belt tensioner on my 2000 xlt with SOHC engine. You are correct they are not interchangable as one has a peg the other a slot to mate up with the block. I took the orginal with me to the parts store to match it when the book part did not fit. Why? Dont know but at least there is a part that works available.

5. phord2112

phord2112 New Member

City, State:
      Milwaukee
      2000 Explorer Sport
      SOHC Belt Tensioner

Thanks for the reply. I wish I knew why, but as you said, at least I got the right part, and the better engine!! That's the last time I skip bringing the part (if possible) to the parts shop.

6. viking4949

viking4949 New Member

City, State:
      Portage, In
      1997 XLT
      Had the same thing happen to me, when I returned the first one, the parts guy argued with me over what engine I had. The "computer" can't be wrong lol.