Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

4.0L SOHC V-6 Question

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Bobbylew, April 16, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Bobbylew

Bobbylew New Member

City, State:
    Pisek, ND
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 Explorer XLT
    Hi, Folks,

I'm looking at a 2000 Explorer XLT in very clean and straight shape for cheap. "Minor" problem....the owner says it needs a new timing chain and is not running. It quit just as he rolled into his driveway.

Now, for the dumb question. Is the SOHC engine an interference motor? My guess is that it is an interference engine and damage to the pistons/valves has happened. I talked to my buddy in town, who runs a shop and he said he's heard both, but I'm inclined to believe that chains would not be installed on a "free-wheeling" engine.

Does anyone have a "for sure" answer on this? I'd sure appreciate anything you have, if you are certain.

Thanks And Best Regards,

Bob

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. A.J.C.

A.J.C. Member

City, State:
    Kennesaw, Ga
    1998 Explorer Limited V8
    Yes, It is an interference engine. The valves are probably bent. It would be cheaper to find a used replacement engine for it unless you can do all the work your self.

4. rb142

rb142 Active Member

City, State:
    Detroit, MI
    2001 Ranger XLT 4X4
    Yes it is interference and yes it has internal damage. Fixing it will be well into four digits -- so it is hardly a "minor" problem. Walk away.

5. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    the engine is now a ball of junk. truck is worth scrap value unless you have another engine ready to drop in.

6. Bobbylew

Bobbylew New Member

City, State:
    Pisek, ND
    1994 Explorer XLT
    Thanks everyone! My friend has since gotten in two, 2005 Explorers. One is a Sport Track and the other is an XLT. Both have the same "minor problem". Seems like the SOHC is about a 100,000 mile engine, as both are around the 120,000 mile mark. Too bad. Nice units.

7. 429CJ-3X2

429CJ-3X2 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    '01 & '02 Sport Tracs,
    Not true. There are a couple of threads on here about "how many miles does your Ex have". There are LOTS of 4.0 SOHC Explorers with 200,000+ miles on them. Some even approaching 300,000. Craigslist is loaded with Explorers with 180,000+ miles. Yes, there is an issue with the timing chains, but it doesn't affect all of them, especially if they're maintained properly.

8. 1992fordgreen

1992fordgreen Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Inside the Rehabilitation Center
    95 SC400 92 SC400 96 Ex
    Valves bent. Time for a new engine, better time to walk away.

9. chefduane

chefduane Texas Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Plano, TX.
    None: SOLD 9/16
    I've got 182K+ on my second 4.0L SOHC XLT 4x4. Got 96k out of the first. That said... yes I know that I'm on borrowed time. I have not really babied it but I have properly maintained the vehicle. Regular oil, fluids, etc at proper intervals, and I fix what breaks or needs service. No timing chain issues or strange sounds so far. Never really busted a trail but have had it off road at times, and a few winters in Oregon and Tennessee.
    I'll drive it till she gives up the ghost. Probably get another at that point.

Chef Duane
    Plano, TX.

10. morbid81

morbid81 Active Member

City, State:
    Keller,TX
    1998 5.0L AWD Eddie Bauer
    Thats the only plague on the 4.0 is this timing chains. If your still wanting a explorer go with 5.0 engine its strong and will run forever I currently have 155k on mine and no issues out of it yet except for normal wear items. Its 16 years old and spent most of its life in the rust belt till I moved to Texas.

11. kevinspann

kevinspann Active Member

City, State:
    Richmond, VA
    1997 EB
    For the right price, I would have no problem buying a SOHC Explorer that needs to be fixed.