• Register Today It's free!

4.0SOHC BLOWER!!! AND MORE MODS!?

DrAgMaStA

Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Xplorer Sport
:D Well im glad 2 hear that the BLOWER for the 4.0 sohc is almost complete, hopefully it will all do us some justice in giving us some good HP. From what i kno if no 1 already heard, it's $3599.00 and will give you approx. 75RWHP! Decent for a blower at 6LBS/PSI. Im guessing you could increase the pis for more HP.? There is also ignition systems for the 4.0sohc designed by MSD, suppose to give you 15-20hp (about 10RW HP), they do have the Diablo superchip (18HP) the granetti MAS (15HP) but i have yet to believe that much hp. Then universal X-Pipe muffler, NOLOGY has recently devoloped plasma ignition wires for v6 wit S-1 sparks (Plasma also) i heard a 5% HP gain, i dont have them but im curious to buy thn since for the set its almost $200 so they babies better b frigen good! K&M and KKM make intakes for the 4.0sohc, and u can also buy that little tornado thing (but i can use a soup can and cut it fr the same effect lol so i dotn believe its worth it...... Ummm i know there is a nos kit for the engine but im not sure witch brand, if any one knowsthe brand of nos or any more mods that im missing please let me know...... Other then that good luck with gaining power. USE THE ART OF CUSTOMIZATION!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After the first three lines of your post, I knew you'd say something about the Tornado. WHY DO PEOPLE FALL FOR THIS CRAP?

$3600 for a blower kit! haha, im guessing thats the explorer express kit? what a rip off. sohc's have fairly high compression anyway, i wouldnt be messing around with a blower kit on it, and i certainly wouldnt pay almost 4 grand for it (even if you install it yourself, most people will still have to have it professionally tuned, so you can tack on a few hundred more right there.)

though it would be pretty cool to supercharge a sohc, that kit is way too expensive, and i have a feeling its just gonna cause problems with that engine.

and, yes, you can get more boost out of it if you use different pullies, but what pullies would you use? and where would you get them? and then those pullies will void the warranty on the blower, and if you start running more than 6 lbs of boost, plan on doing some fuel work, bah, thats just too much aggrivation.

whew, ok, im done now, heh :p

As for getting the pulleys, you can get smaller blower pulleys at tons of places. That kit uses the M66 I think, to small IMHO. The SOHC has too high compression to run more than 6psi non intercooled. Even intercooled I wouldnt push it past 8. 3500 for 75hp? I'll guess thats at the crank first off. Second thats a rip off.say 3800 for the average person to get it on and tuned. $50.67 per HP, not so great man. The torque will be great I'm sure, but the kit just isnt expandable without new pistons. If you do that I think the M66 wouldnt even be able to feed enough air to justify trying ti run 10-15 psi.

So how many honda civics have you built up so far? A HP gain from spark plug wires is rididiculous and good look running a blower on the SOHC. Kaboom!

What's wrong with the SOHC engine? I thought it was one of the best engines Ford has made for trucks/suvs of its class?

Originally posted by crashwave
What's wrong with the SOHC engine? I thought it was one of the best engines Ford has made for trucks/suvs of its class?
I'd rather not go into it. Do a search for SOHC problems, you'll see what I mean. It appears that the top end of the motor is a dud. This being true especially for the older ones, but alteast partially true for the new ones as well.

Originally posted by Jason_25

I'd rather not go into it. Do a search for SOHC problems, you'll see what I mean. It appears that the top end of the motor is a dud. This being true especially for the older ones, but alteast partially true for the new ones as well.

****. I have a '99 Sport with a 4.0 SOHC engine. Honestly, what's wrong with it? Is the OHV version better?

Originally posted by crashwave

****. I have a '99 Sport with a 4.0 SOHC engine. Honestly, what's wrong with it? Is the OHV version better?
You have a PM. I don't want to hog this thread up. No, the OHV version is not better. I have nothing against the motor, but I just want to give people a heads up before they buy it and grenade their motors.

Let's just let EE finish their kit and let them run it for awhile. Someone on here will run out and get it right away, crap, it might be me. I am a guniepig for everything else! LOL. Anyway and then see what happens. If the kit is strong and trouble free we might get a few of them arround here.

Originally posted by DrAgMaStA
:D Well im glad 2 hear that the BLOWER for the 4.0 sohc is almost complete, hopefully it will all do us some justice in giving us some good HP. From what i kno if no 1 already heard, it's $3599.00 and will give you approx. 75RWHP! Decent for a blower at 6LBS/PSI. Im guessing you could increase the pis for more HP.? There is also ignition systems for the 4.0sohc designed by MSD, suppose to give you 15-20hp (about 10RW HP), they do have the Diablo superchip (18HP) the granetti MAS (15HP) but i have yet to believe that much hp. Then universal X-Pipe muffler, NOLOGY has recently devoloped plasma ignition wires for v6 wit S-1 sparks (Plasma also) i heard a 5% HP gain, i dont have them but im curious to buy thn since for the set its almost $200 so they babies better b frigen good! K&M and KKM make intakes for the 4.0sohc, and u can also buy that little tornado thing (but i can use a soup can and cut it fr the same effect lol so i dotn believe its worth it...... Ummm i know there is a nos kit for the engine but im not sure witch brand, if any one knowsthe brand of nos or any more mods that im missing please let me know...... Other then that good luck with gaining power. USE THE ART OF CUSTOMIZATION!!!!!!
:rolleyes:

Well, people said I'd blow my motor up with the s/c and nitrous and I haven't yet. Of course the OHV is a stouter motor than the SOHC. Ford did put a blower on the SOHC for a concept vehicle, but who knows what else they did to the motor to beef it up. I agree that an s/c on the SOHC isn't a great idea unless the motor is beefed up. Also, the EE kit has been "pending" since 2000, so I'm not holding my breath.

The things I see as a problem on the SOHC are the timing chain tensioners on any motor (Stock or modded). The problem with a blower on the SOHC is that it has a higher compression (9.9:1 I think) ratio that makes it not boost friendly. I highly doubt 6psi will blow up the engine. Go beyond that, and you might wanna cross your fingers whenever your stomp it.

As far as a factory engine they make pretty good power in my opinion. But thats just it, beyond minor mods like intake and exhaust you cant do much because of the compression. If you wanna yank the engine and throw some forged rods in there with some lower compression (say 8:1 for boost or juice) that are forged and youd be good to go ( duh for making the fuel system keep up)

Originally posted by Magicfan25
forged rods
I remember reading somewhere that it came with forged rods/pistons from the factory. ??

Who knowz with the explorer express blower, i mean im glad and all that it was designed for the engine, but CMON:p alittle on the penny side huh?? I could see if i was smoking 100hp at the petal DIFFERENT STORY then $3600 might just be worth it, but having a blowen explorer (charger or really blowing it up lol) might just b the thing we need to smoke virtually every car on the road....... And yes NOLOGY makes ignition wires that cost $200!!!!! FRIGEN INSANE!!!! check em out on truckperformance.com. I just want sum serious HP i know my truck is decent the way it is but hey lets get real we all want to push it to the max!

I have a ?:confused: Now i have no klew wut my explorer runs nore can i get an accurate 0-60 but i want HP and i dont know what else to get beside all the things that are on the shelves such as MAS, wires, sparks all that crap with really wont give you Rear Wheel HP which is what counts..... Is there any ENGINE mods, pistons, heads, injectors?? ANYTHING :( I've been looking relentlessly and have come up with crap, so if anyone has any ideas please i'm open to all (NOS if i knew wut brand, and a blower are a serious consideration 4 me!)

I do not believe there are any aftermarket engine internals for the SOHC.

Originally posted by yob_yeknom
I remember reading somewhere that it came with forged rods/pistons from the factory. ??
Maybe so. But the pistons are still not "dished" for lower compression.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:mad: figures the only engine i have i cant get not 1 internal for it, i hate this crap!

Back