4.6l DOHC ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6l DOHC ?

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Lake, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 EB 4.6l DOHC
Does anyone know of anyone that has succesfully completed a swap like this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know of anyone that has succesfully completed a swap like this?

Youre better off buying a 4.6L DOHC from an Aviator or Mustang Cobra, than doing a conversion

Sorry my bad I should have been more arcute, has anyone heard of anyone who has competed a 4.6l dohc engine swap. Im not tryin to sound like a a** lol. Ive shearched around and all ive have found is people talking about, and attempting it but nothing else no finished project, no runing explorer lol.

Sorry my bad I should have been more arcute, has anyone heard of anyone who has competed a 4.6l dohc engine swap. Im not tryin to sound like a a** lol. Ive shearched around and all ive have found is people talking about, and attempting it but nothing else no finished project, no runing explorer lol.

Yeah I havent heard of anyone actually doing this. The 3V SOHC is nearly as powerful. Just about 30 hp less depending on the rating. I know it can most definately be done possibly with the same ECU. Just probably need a new tranmission (at least). I'd rather spend the money on a forced induction.

Well I guess I have gottin further then anybody else then. Btw please dont tell me I shouldnt run the dohc cause your already to late :D, pictures to follow once I get them uploaded. Now just to get wiring figured out :rolleyes:

Look Im not tellin you that you shouldnt run the DOHC I was merely pointing out a fact. And I was stating my opinion. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.
Any more powerful engine swap is a great idea and it is a cool accomplishment. I am looking forward to seein the pics of the swap

Yeah I havent heard of anyone actually doing this. The 3V SOHC is nearly as powerful. Just about 30 hp less depending on the rating. I know it can most definately be done possibly with the same ECU. Just probably need a new tranmission (at least). I'd rather spend the money on a forced induction.

The 3v is not a bad engine but it doesn't have nearly the potential that the 4v has; especially when you start modding them. Of course the 3v being an SOHC design does fit into a smaller width. But then again the 3rd Gen Explorers are wide enough to accept the 4v as proven by them being fitted in the Avi's.

I like the one in my wifes aviator :D

Well it diffenetly fits in the 3 gen! But it is TIGHT! A little background on the explorer first, its an 02 EB that I picked up pretty cheap, with a 4.0 v6 broken rear timing chain. First I was goin to put in one of the newer mustang 4.0, but thanks to good olde craigslist:D I found an 04 aviator engine with tranny for the same price as the v6. A litte tid bit it would be alot easyer going into an 4.6 explorer( ie ac lines, fuel lines, tranny lines, and other things the 4.0 doesnt have). And heres some eye candy!
http://s527.photobucket.com/albums/cc353/Benshorses/dohc explorer/

I am definately jealous of that! :D

is the bottom end the same as in the 2v 4.6l? I ve heard of people putting 4v cobra heads on a 2v block....is that the same setup? Oh and BTW props for trying something new with your ex!

Pretty sure there the same but could tell u for sure, althought the swap so far has been a bolt together swap. Ya it been pretty fun and frustrating at the same time but what else can u expect when u do somthin no one else has done. Btw once I get all the aviator stuff furgered out it would be easyer to drop a cobra engine in:D

looks great...did you get the transmission with the aviator engine or are you using the original one from the ex? :thumbsup:

Using the aviator tanny, as its a V8 (larger bellhousing) instead of the V6(small bellhousing) there's a pic in the photobucket album of the difference in the tranny size. Same tranny as all the V8s run I think. Bolted right to my transfer case no problem.

:p:

Video :D

Sorry for bringing up an old post. Fordexplorer98, do you have any more details regarding the swap? Did you have to modify the harness, what PCM did you use, any other recommendations?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back