4.6L oil ?

N1265

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 explorer
Is anybody running 10W30 in their 4.6L

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5w20 is what I have stayed with

The 5/20 is designed for use to improve your gas mileage.

My 05 Limited 4.6 is at 167K, been running Motorcraft 5w20 and Motorcraft filter for 19 months and 27K (just about due for fifth oil change) and burns/uses almost a quart in 6500 miles. I change the oil when the message center tells me to.

Currently I am using Mobil 1 5w30 syn in my 2002 with 234,000km. No oil burning issues. From everything I have read, 5w20 is to improve gas milage. I run 5w30, just so I don't have to keep 2 different weights of oils on hand (using 5w30 in my other vehicles).

Per owner's manual, I stick with the perscribed 5w20. Not that I'm taking a subtle jab at anyone's opinion, but I trust what the engineers spec'd over internet/trade rumors on gas mileage or other theories.

You can use 10W30 and be just fine...but unless you have a specific reason to, stick to 5W20. There is not a lot of difference between 5W20, 5W30, and 10W30, but why run heavier oil? 5W30 was specified for the 4.6L for a bit before Ford updated to 5W20 for fuel economy, so it is not unreasonable to run a 30 weight oil.

No theories, just Auto manufacturers trying to comply with emission standards however possible. While most improvements cost money which is past on to the end user (us) some don't. Like oil viscosity. Now, me an you may not see any improvement from using 5w20, but collectively, Ford produced vehicles will have a reduction. Those are figures that Ford can use to demonstrate new Federal Emission Standards compliance.

Run 10w30, 10w40, 5w30 or what have you. Argue the protection differences all you want, taking into consideration mileage and longevity. Obviously, straying from 5w20 during warranty periods could pose an issue for you if something does go wrong unrelated to the oil you used.

250k on my '03 4.6L V8 using blended 5W20 since new. It still doesn't burn any oil. If it did start buring oil, I think I'd swich to a thicker oil.

Back