Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

4.6L P0340

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by 05FireRed, September 3, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 05FireRed

05FireRed New Member

City, State:
    McConnellsberg, PA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2005 XLT
    hi, thanks for the registration and the welcome. i have a 2005 explorer, 4.6l that's setting dtc's p0340 and p1336. checked the cmp output to the pcm, getting proper voltage, but dropped a little when reconnecting to pcm, so replaced sensor - same results. disconnected alternator, same results. i did hear some pretty loud rattling once in the engine on start up about the time the codes appeared. also idles rough, and fuel mileage dropped. as i understand the pcm uses the cmp to find compression stroke to fire injectors and coils, but don't see where it verifies cam timing. guess my question is; would a timing chain out of time set the p0340 code, or what other possibilities could anyone suggest? thanks...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. SyberTiger

SyberTiger Active Member

City, State:
    Orlando
    2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
    How many miles on the engine and have the timing chains ever been changed out?

4. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Woodstock, GA
    04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
    The rattling would be indicative of a timing tensioner or guide failure. But it tends to be constant (at least at start up) once it presents itself.

You could remove the valve covers to see if there’s chain slack.

Otherwise, check for voltage drop across the wires themselves. The crank sensor supposedly can be the cause for the cam sensor code as well.

5. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Va
    00 4x4 Mounty
    Commonly a bad alternator will set the p0340 code on mod motors because of interference. It could be the timing chains but you should get a cam/crank correlation code if that was the case.

• Like Like x 1