• Register Today It's free!

4 wheel drive thump

thesturg

Reaction score
City, State
Grande Prairie, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport trac
I have a 2001 sport trac, and when I switch it to or from 4 wheel sometimes it takes a while. I drive a bit and then it kicks in with a loud THUD. it works fine after that. Should i be concerned? and is there a way i could fix this? i am pretty mechanically inclined so i just need a bit of direction.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a 06 dodge ram with an electronic 4wd switch that did this too...I took it to a dealer and a 4wd shop and they said as long as it engages not too long after not to worry about it. I never really felt too great about that reply but I never did have any problems. I realize this doesn't answer your question but maybe it can assuage some worries.

Check the front diff and t-case fluid levels

Wait a little longer before going. When I switch to 4LO I sometimes have to wait a little longer for it to engage. However, 4Hi I generally don't have any problem. The faster you are going when the 4x4 engages the louder and harsher it will be because the front end has to catch up to what the rear axle is doing. Fluids are always good to check as well. Depending on your mileage it may be good to change the fluid in the tcase and both differentials.

I am changing the fluids as soon as I get a funnel or pump. And I am at about 200k

Back