4 X 4 Issues? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 X 4 Issues?

sslinn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Hi folks,

I just got stuck about 3 inches of icy snow and had to be pushed out. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 4 X 4.

I turned on 4 hi and just the front tires were spinning, no movement from the back tires Same in 4 low. I was trying to back up.

Will the 4 low light go on it without activating it?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks!

Is there a way to test it at all?

When I hit the button to go into 4 high I don't hear or feel anything.

When I hit the button to go into 4 low I hear a click (or two) and feel and hear something from underneath right after.

I don't want to get hosed at the dealership, but as you can likely tell I am less than mechanical.

Thanks again!

When I was having issues with my 4x4, it turned out to be a bad ground on the transfer case shift motor. Won't cost anything to check it out.

Good luck. :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Some background (in case you aren't aware):

The transfer case contains an electronic clutch that applies power to the front wheels. Switching to 4hi engages this clutch, while switching to 4low engages this clutch and also engages the transfer case shift motor to put the transfer case in low gear (which is probably what you're hearing).

In 4 auto the computer is modulating the transfer case clutch to try and keep the front and rear wheel speeds even. As you can imagine this requires a lot of sensors and computer controls, which are also necessary for 4hi $ low operation. Frequently the 4x4 control module fails (~$200-250 part) but as Rondo said there are other (possibly more simple) things that can go wrong.

First check all of your 4x4 fuses. If those are good, some people have had success with disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to reset the module. Good luck!

Back