Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion

Discussion in 'Bronco II' started by 410Fortune, January 4, 2005.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 1badb2

1badb2 New Member

City, State:
    albuquerque, NM
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    84 B2
    email sent.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Martinsburg WV
    84 BII "Li'l Samson"
    Just curious, did you check the date on the post your interested in?

4. 1badb2

1badb2 New Member

City, State:
    albuquerque, NM
    84 B2
    yep, Digging old stuff up, I know.... but this guy seems to have the best idea about this swap and I need some serious help. I cant find jack on PBB or over on TRS (my frequents)

5. 410Fortune

410Fortune MUD SEASON 2.0 Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    I'm back on EF!

Still driving the BII, ever since going V8 in 2005 she makes a great daily driver.

• Like Like x 3
  6. WhiteRabbit87

WhiteRabbit87 New Member

City, State:
    Gilead, ME
    1987 Bronco II XLT 2.9
    love this thread! i read through the whole thing over the past few days, and youve filled my head with so many ideas! im going to hopefully do some swapping around of my own over the winter. ive got 2 1987 B2s, both 2.9 autos, one of them was my summer daily until the trans started to slip about a month ago. the other has running issues that i never really tried too hard to figure out because the other was running great anyways and i can only drive one truck at at time :p so, i plan on taking the trans out of the "sick" one and putting it in the driver, so i can keep it on the road while i do a more intensive swap on the donor. I also have a 1998 Ranger 4.0 auto that i have loved for years. it was my first truck and i retired it a year ago when i bought a brand new F150 2.7 ecoboost. I hate the thought that my ranger is sitting there neglected and since i have this second bronco 2 that isnt driveable, im going to swap the 4.0 into the bronco. itll be my first project of this scale but im a good planner and i think i can get this figured out. It will be a good learning process because eventually i want to swap something into the other one..not sure if ill go for a 5.0 or, ive really wanted a diesel, so maybe a VW TDI? idk. that one will be a long time away- one thing at a time :) just wanted to thank you for all the information youve shared through your swap!

7. 410Fortune

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    You are welcome!
    I have done several 4.0 and 5.0 conversions to date so I am sure I can help you with your projects.
    The 4.0L is WELL SUITED to the BII.
    I had to have an automatic and I was tired of the V6 autos so I finally went 302 to get the 4r70w. So glad I did, it is a great trans.
    The BII has basically not needed any upgrades or re working since 2005 and the V8, I just drive it now and upgrade other things.
    The 4.0 pushrod with a M5OD Hd using the SOHC clutch and a 1354 manual is the hot setup for the BII/Gen I Ranger
    Otherwise you could use the old 4 speed C4/C5 automatic, anything to avoid the A4LD.
    If you do go A4LD find a good builder and have it updated using 4r55e internals.

I am doing a 5.0 into a 01 Sport trac with the 4406 right now and another one into a 99 Ranger that one will be AWD, progress is slow on those since we moved to Idaho in 2018 I am still setting up the new shop/property. I am gearing up to do trucks full time though so there will be some serious build threads coming.
    These forums are my daily motivation! EAT SLEEP OFFROAD repeat......

• Like Like x 1
  8. fordpickupman

fordpickupman Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Cascade, ID
    94 XLT
    71 F250 Fummins
    would you build a harness to swap an explorer 5.0 into my 1st gen sploder? How much would that cost?

9. Kirby N.

Kirby N. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    1991 Ranger
    I do like my 4.0 1991 ranger with a M5OD and a SOHC clutch and a 1354. Especially with 5.13 gears and 35s- its peppy and reliable. I have considered asking 410 to put a V8 in it because I think it would be more peppy and still reliable- but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 410Fortune

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    @fordpickupman PM sent, I am sure we can work something out. I would really rather help you build your own harness, but I do have some "down time" during the winter months where I can put together harness' if given the correct parts.

@Kirby N. More peppy and more reliable is TRUTH!! The BII has not needed any real drivetrain anything since the V8 conversion. She does not care if it is 30 below or 103 out, she just fires up and runs. She runs so smoothly (stock ECM and cam, solid engine mounts) that somtimes at a stop I have to check and see if she is running..... I guess I get used to all these diesels and cammed Fords.
    The BII moves pretty dang good for runnig 35's and 4.10 I wish I would have done 4.56 or even 4.88 but that is hindsight and I am sure she will get her chance (I am considering a D44ttb setup to get longer travel and finally go to coilovers)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kirby N.

Kirby N. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    1991 Ranger
    @410Fortune What does a M5OD- HD get you over a M5OD?

• Like Like x 1
  12. donalds

donalds Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Nc
    1999 ford explorer sohc
    This should be your signature:)

• Like Like x 1
  13. 410Fortune

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    @Kirby N. the M5OD was beefed up internally to handle the power of the SOHC 4.0
    The HD-R1 units found in the late model rangers (97+ Explorer, 2001+ ranger) are awesome! They have a different 1-2 gear and better synchros
    The old M5OD was good the HD units are better
    The M5OD-R2 is a heavy duty version that was used in Full size broncos and F150 behind the 302, if I ever ditch my 4r70w it will be for that manual trans

@donalds We do off road every day now, in fact the mud on our road is so bad right now we are not sure we will make it in and out with our UTV's!! Everything was great until a neighbor from CA came yesterday and buried his 350 in the mud puddle and had to be recovered (there are 6 cabins back here, all of them are seasonal. hunter types come up here on vacation, we LIVE here)
    He left us some HUGE holes.....the road has 1-2 more weeks of healing to do before I drive my trucks in and out (we park at the gate and use UTV to commute all winter) and now he has left us some HUGE frame grabbing sink holes, we may or may not get stuck today on Easter!

We have a 2018 Polaris Ranger 1000 crew with a lift and 30" mud tires, if this baby gets stuck then we will are walking until it heals...otherwise heavy equipment is needed to fix the road. Im in the market for a dozer right now actually :)

The grocery getter:
    [​IMG]

All part of the adventure!! Dealing with a stubborn moose, some river otters and woodpeckers = its spring time!

Last edited: April 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 2