410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier" | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

interesting!!
well yes our numbers will be way lower
I am talking crank hp here just to be clear.

255-260 at the tires and 330 ft lbs is good from a 302 with HO cam and GT40 polished heads, when going through the 4r70w (23%+ loss) you were making about 340-350 at the crank according to web based "guesstimators" using 3 speed automatic and 4wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont get me wrong, its great when you can say you made x amount of power and torque on a dyno, but to me a chassis dyno is going to be the real deal in the end unless you have a full blown race car. the reason i say that is when they dyno a motor most times they will use dyno headers. lets face it. TMH's are better then stock manifolds, but still choke the crap out of the motor (they are something like 1 1/2 headers vs 1 5/8's mustang guys normally run). then theres parasitic drag. they dont have alternators, water pumps, power steering pumps, or a/c hanging off them. then there's heat. under hood temps differ from room temp. you will never see a dyno room around 120-160 degrees inside.
when mine was dyno'd i think it was around 90 degrees that day. the truck sat in a snowfield all day, so they did have to run it for a few mins to get it to operating temps. i also have a 4406 in the truck with a 4r70w

Thanks for your information, its always helpful to me to get input from forum members with real world experience
Whatever HP it makes on paper I can tell you its gonna be a hoot to drive!
This build will have more power then my BII and about the same my explorer used to have and I know those two rigs are wicked fun to drive, I have setup a few V8 rangers and rigs over the years but this 07 is getting the benefit of all I have learned.

Waiting on parts. Camshaft /valve train parts and headers should be here mid week! Wiring books for 07 ranger and 14 edge will also be here this week. I love Ebay!

In the meantime here is some eye candy
I have one broken stud in the block to extract, yup one of the timing cover bolts. Snapped off flush with the block OF COURSE
If it gets too tricky, Ill take the whole block to a machine shop in town I have been using since I got here. He is awesome, usually $20 and a couple of hours......

Inside of this 104K engine is CLEAN CLEAN!! After close inspection of the block, crank, cam lobes, coolant passages, oil galley, etc.....I give this engine a clean bill of health.
If we are being picky (with trucks I am picky, pull no punches kind of guy) I do see a little extra carbon built up on the gob of silicon left from the factory, they could have changed their oil a little more often. Nothing terrible though, I have seen MUCH worse. People change your oil! I don't care what brand or yadda yadda just change it every 5-7500 miles at LEAST.

171_121052_170000001.jpg

171_121052_170000002.jpg

171_121052_170000003.jpg

171_121052_180000004.jpg

I will wait for the cam to get here before I pull the stock lifters and cam out.....

2007 ranger wiring book is here!
Torque Monster Headers have arrived!!! (thanks Robert!!)

I already started mapping out the C133 and C110 plugs from the 07 Sohc engine

Ooooh la la
Whats in the box?
171_142046_190000000.jpg

Nice! Loctite, improved EGR tube, new Ford egr adapter, cd stickers, detailed instructions and a CD walking you through the install
Gotta love TMH!

171_142046_190000001.jpg

171_142046_200000002.jpg

Waiting on camshaft.......
wiring books!!
171_142046_200000004.jpg

171_142046_200000003.jpg

Still waiting on the camshaft, valve springs, and adjustable pushrod (for measuring) as soon as that bad boy arrives I can put the engine back together and drop it in.

Yesterday I drained the 4r70w transmission and converter. Why you ask?
Because I am headed to Colorado on a final road trip to grab our camping camper.... We have a 30' camper I built years ago to act as our home away from home when camping. We could not bring it with us when we moved so it has been parked at my mother in laws house this whole time. My mission is to haul ass to Colorado get the camper and haul ass back home. While we are there I am dropping off a couple of 5r55e auto trans cores and this 4r70w vale body with Brett so he can do some updates to the trans valve body for us.
Interesting note Brett is now building old A4LD's using 5r5e internals...making a bomb proof A4LD = I can flip the Gen I explorers more often. I really like this idea, we need to save those old Gen I trucks they are tanks!

So I packed up the valve body and we are outta here! Be back end of next week.....
Once the camper is home we will park it down by the river to act as our first "guest cabin" here in Idaho. So when Eddie Money or Rick & Char or Brett or whomever come to visit they have a cabin down by the river :)

One part did come in through while we wait, a Raybestos inline magnetic transmission filter, Yeah! How exciting!!
61vp4qEWSCL._SL1500_.jpg

Cam was supposed to be here yesterday.... should see it Monday

Just curious - how long did it take to get the TM headers after you ordered them?

Wow, real interesting what Brett is doing! I have not heard that, someone should do a thread on that!

Love this project, anything upgraded is interesting to me. You have the experience and skills to handle all of that Jamie, I appreciate your time, and sharing it with others.

As Tim posted, the power is drastically limited compared to common Mustangs and other Fords, from forum examples etc. What you can do is build from the bottom up, do the engine from scratch, plus enlarge the exhaust(end to end).

Any stock 302 Mustang since the 80's has dual 2.25" pipes, end to end, not one tailpipe and one muffler. They all have two. That is the original definition of a dual exhaust, two distinct paths, which is natural for any V6 or V8, one for each bank. Ford trucks and SUV's for decades now have had single exhausts, one tailpipe and one muffler. That alone is a major restriction.

One 2.25" muffler is not enough for a bone stock 302, which is why all Mustangs have two, stock. Any modified Mustang will have two 2.5" or larger mufflers and two similar tailpipes. So simply adding one equal small 2.25" muffler and tailpipe is doubling the airflow after the cats, which matches any bone stock 302 Mustang.

I'd reduce the number of cats to two, and more than double the size behind them. With any modified engine, tuning the PCM/computer is required, so any changes to the airflow anywhere along the path, is tuned for.

If you want any kind of power like you read of on forums and magazines, junk the heads and get something that flows much better, plus add compression, and a custom cam to make it run well. That isn't what this build is about, I see that, so think on that for the next engine swap.

The stock GT40 heads are low flow parts, 190cfm is a typical figure you read of, about them. They can be ported for hundreds of dollars, and gain maybe 15-20% more flow. But you can buy low end AL heads that flow that much(225cfm range), for around $750. The much better heads have gone up recently, now they cost near $1500, and they flow above 260cfm or so. The stock intakes are in the mid 200cfm range, but can be ported to reach 300cfm. The place I have in mind wants $250 now for their level 2, and I think that's a bit below 300cfm, which is enough for mild heads and rpm. I have cheap GT40X knockoffs(Flotek 180's) that I got a decent deal on two years ago, but they are probably only a 230cfm head, but will be fine for a mild 306. I hope for 275rwhp, but stuck in a Mustang it would be a 300hp+ engine, chassis dyno. You should figure in these trucks, the power will be around 50rwhp less than in a typical Mustang.

Here's my short list I plan for my work truck next year(99 SOHC now). I'll take a 302, bored .030, use pistons chosen by cam designer(Ed Curtis) for the highest compression with 87 octane(around 9.5:1). Then port the stock Explorer intakes by sending them to a company who does three levels, level 2 should be plenty(shifting at 5500rpm). I'll make a bigger intake elbow, stock is under 65mm, so 3" should be enough, and use a 75mm TB. Use a bigger MAF, 75-90mm, and don't skip the custom cam, for $100 extra it will be much better than any OTS cam.

@CDW6212R

I want all that!!, but I have a limited budget. The goal this year is to get as much of the mods, suspension, gearing along with the V8 conversion. After I've had a chance to try everything out I may upgrade the engine like you described.

@CDW6212R

I want all that!!, but I have a limited budget. The goal this year is to get as much of the mods, suspension, gearing along with the V8 conversion. After I've had a chance to try everything out I may upgrade the engine like you described.

That's what most people would do, get the basic truck in one piece and everything working. Then work on a project like the engine alone. Doing that you could go as cheap as possible on things like the exhaust and intake stuff, leave it nearly stock or whatever is the easiest. Then you don't need any special PCM tune either, save that money for later too.

@CDW6212R

Thanks, that makes a decision for me... I've got the engine out so a header install would be -cake- right now, but I need to be driving the truck to Ohio in less than three weeks. I guess the good news is that I just saved a thousand bucks?

Scratch that. Last second decision to grab a set of OBX's on Amazon. If they don't ship in the next few days, I'll cancel the order. Hopefully they send me a set that fits decently.

@fastpakr

We had considered OBXs but for $100 more you can get the real deal TM headers. Every thread I've read on TM headers is full of very satisfied customers. OBXs on the other hand, I've read people were not so happy. I know time is a factor. Good luck.

If they were a hundred bucks apart and the TMs had been available in a week of lead time, the decision would have been easy. I got the OBXs for about $450 less and they're supposed to be here next Wednesday. No question though, I'd prefer to go the other direction.

Sent a box of stuff to 410fortune shop. Should arrive today. Contents are one driver side door molding, to plastic pieces that were missing on the seats, and a pair of k source power mirrors with paintable covers.

Also, ordered weivision bdv01 HD 360° birdview camera DVR and a pumpkin 7" car stereo monitor with android 8.0 oreo. These will arrive next week and be on their way to 410fortune

I will be messing around with emblems and paint this weekend!! Wish me luck. I'm not a painter. Lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Box arrived!! More goodies for our build!
The 360 degree camera system looks so cool!!
I love to install custom electronics

Working on a certain other truck project while we are waiting for the camshaft...my 15 year old welder crapped out...long story short, today I went to HF and I got a NEW WELDER!! WOOOO HOOOOOO

Just in time............ while we wait on cam parts??!!?!?!?!?! (What gives my whole life I spend waiting for parts...I was told it would be here on the 25th.........I called them they are waiting on parts?? should ship next week.....)

Anywho I plan to begin the seat install this weekend

TOOL REVIEW:
I am excited to use this new machine, so far I took it out of the box, set it up and laid down some practice mig welds...it makes my old Hobart HH180 look well....old.
The new welder feels much better in the hands (heavier lead), it "sounds" better while running, had about 100X the features, and made some nice crisp clean welds
ME LIKEY VERY MUCH!!
shopping

I have it setup for MIG, 240V, run from a generac 1800w genset (we live off grid I do not use the house LifP04 batteries to run my welder) c02/argon mix. Took about 30 minutes to setup including wiring to my 50' 240v extension cord. I ran some welds on 10 gauge and then 1/4" thick practice pieces. Very nice!!
Before I can try the Tig welding I need some tungsten, some filler rod and pure argon gas.
I doubt I will ever use it as a arc/stick welder, but its nice to know it there if I need it.
It also came with a simple mig torch and I can get a decent Chinese spool gun for running aluminum for $99
Lots of reviews of this machine online, but I am so happy with the purchase I thought you guys might like to hear also ($699) /REVIEW

Seat install involves chopping up the factory Ford Edge seat mounts and fabricating brackets to correctly position the seats on the 07's floor pan and connect to the factory bolt locations.
This usually means lots of welding! Of course there is also wiring for the tracks and heat functions, as well as sorting out the seat belt situation.

Stay tuned! TGIF Labor day weekend....good time to wrench!!!!

Back