Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

410Fortune 1988 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 4x4

Discussion in 'Bronco II Registry' started by 410Fortune, January 9, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bats

bats Active Member

City, State:
      NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      88 Bronco II
      Yes! So glad to see one of the OG BII's still running!

R.J. - Looking at your sig I see you have a 1990 BII. Doing a 4.0 swap into that is fairly simple if I remember. The dash harness might need a few wires re-done but I think it's pretty much wired for the 4.0 OHV.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 410Fortune

410Fortune Snow Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      "
      New
      I have a question on the vss I got under the car to put the '92 wiring to the '84 I wired it in parallel because I had a brain f rt does it need to be wired in parallel or series thanks"

What? 92 VSS is similar to 1984 I am pretty sure they are wired the same
      VSS in the tailhousing/t case has a signal wire to the PCM and a ground wire to the PCM

I can help with 4.0 conversions I have done MANY of them into all sorts of RBV's
      1989 -1990 is the easiest because they have the big white plug going through the firewall and so do the early 4.0
      Usually we are now using the 95+ OHV and many conversions end up being OBDII so we can keep the plastic intakes and use the superior 4.0 (95+ stronger heads, 97+ 8 bolt crank)

Heck yeah I am still here! Rick invited me to be a mod again, it's very nice to have the time to be back here posting!! The BII is about to get some serious updates, I have been collecting parts for a long time..shes about due for some upgrading

• Like Like x 1
    4. roscoe 0202

roscoe 0202 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      salt lake city utah
      1999 explorer sport
      thanks for the reply
      roscoe

5. 410Fortune

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      Pulled the trigger on a James Duff rear bumper with tire swing and jerry can holder. I have been wanting one of these for years! Its finally coming my way!!

• Like Like x 1
    6. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      90 Bronco II
      I've wanted one of those too

• Like Like x 1
    7. 410Fortune

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      I installed one for my friend and ever since I have needed to buy it! I could build one but have not found the time in the last 3 years or so LOL

8. Benjam

Benjam Active Member

City, State:
      WI
      92 XLT Stick,4x4, 422 cam
      Hows that redhead steering gear? Tight?

9. 410Fortune

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      absolutely the best upgrade I have made to my front end, the bii holds the road and steers like a much much newer truck, even with my modified ttb and steering

10. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      90 Bronco II
      Better steering? Tell me more!

11. 410Fortune

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      Okay my 88 steering system:
      Redhead steering gear box, superlift Superrunner steering system with Chevy one ton TRE
      I keep the superlift bushings in the idler arm greased. Even with my 5" of suspension lift my beams and steering tie rods run flat/ in phase with the beams (factory like geomety) my camber correction shims are basically set at stock keeping my camber at 0 at ride height. I set my toe at 0 also, I find with 35" tires I do not need any toe in, just straight up 0 degrees camber and 0" of toe. I run Raebestos premium ball joints upper and lower and with this setup I have almost zero bump steer and the truck handles better then it EVER DID stock or with the beams stretched out for lift.
      The redhead box removes all slop from the steering, my BII is tight and responsive both on and off road.
      Checkout the redhead website for more info on how they fix the defective factory steering gear and ship you a better box. I cant wait to get one for my 97 CCFB 7.3 shop truck

The BII is in the shop RIGHT NOW for the first time in a WHILE getting some much needed love.
      First I am installing my new James Duff plate rear bumper with tire and jerry can swings (needs primed and paint)
      Fixing the rocker rust (3rd time is a charm!)
      Fixing my bent tailpipe (moab 2007)
      and installing my new Idaho custom license plates!!! (vanity plates cheap in ID, heck taxes and fees here are super cheap and NO EMISSIONS)
      I may also remove or cover my roof basket, it simply collects too much snow in the winter and is a PITA!!

I use my BII as a daily driver in the winter, and winter is coming quick this far up North fall is in full effect!! (09/22/18)
      I have not carried a full size spare on the back of this truck in 15 or so years now, I cant wait!!
      I need to add some sort of small back seat so I can use this to haul 3 kids to school during blizzards, I have a small fold and tumble back bench from a Suzuki Samurai I may use, I also have some Polaris RZR seats and also some Ranger flip down seats from extended cab...not sure which route I will go yet.
      I will get some pics of the BII upgrades and steering system for you guys

Sometime soon I will also be re doing the entire exhaust system from the TM headers back, I no longer require cat converters here in ID and my old 2005 v8 system the muffler has rusted through plus the down pipes hang down way too low for my liking. I have learned alot since fist doing the conversion in 05, the BII is finally getting some love in 2018!!

12. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      90 Bronco II
      I looked at the redhead website. Is the box the same as the f150 box? That's all they list. And are you still running the factory steering shaft? I know some people upgrade that too.

13. rpenner54

rpenner54 Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

Media:
      City, State:
      Wichita KS
      98 Merc
      Do you think the dash out of a Bronco II or Ranger like yours would fit in a 98 Explorer/Mountaineer? I realize the windshield to dash might not be the best but I would be okay with that. I figure with all the times you have taken and put your stuff back together you might know. I sure like those older dashes better!

14. bats

bats Active Member

City, State:
      NY
      88 Bronco II
      I'm 98.9% sure they're the same. When I did the 4.0 swap in my BII I was looking at upgraded steering and the similar era F150's used the same steering box as a first gen Explorer.

15. 410Fortune

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      Ryan that is a good question about the Gen II dash
      I do not think it would work
      the 84-88 dash like mine is similar to the 90-94 dash in Rangers and explorers these are interchangeable
      The HVAC boxes are slightly different, you have to cut and fab some metal
      I have put a 92 dash into a 84 ranger

In 95 the Explorer and Ranger cabs got WIDER more elbow room so I do not think the Gen II dash would fit
      Also the 84 Ranger we put the 92 dash into I did not like, the steering wheel gets closer to the driver, in a standard cab ranger it makes it real tight.
      I love my 1988 dash, classic style

The F150 and ranger steering box are the same unit, but call Redhead they can sell you the correct piece.

16. 410Fortune

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      Some 2018 updates to the old girl.
      I smashed my tailpipe in Moab some years ago, I then cut the smashed portion off leaving the tail pipe too short and it was actually boiling the fuel in the tank!
      Also killed my OBDII gas tank pressure sensor (check engine light and code last 3-4 months)
      I did not drive my Bronco much in 2017 because she was due for emissions in Colorado and they will not test vehicles with 35" tires. I sold my explorer and my 33" tires, plus we were moving to Idaho so last year she mostly sat.
      Well now we are moved to the panhande of Idaho and the Bronco has a new home
      Time to get her back on the road / trail! I am going to need her here as the road to our new house is 2 miles of rocks, hills, silt, sand, mud and plenty of snow.....
      So the BII is in the shop
      [​IMG]

Moved tailpipe, temporary setup I am planning an entire new exhaust in 2019 from the TMH back...

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Then started fitting my new Duff Tuff rear plate bumper with tire and gas can swings.
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

new 3" tail with turn down. full size 35" on the back! HOORAY!!! I have been carrying my spare tire inside the truck since the 90's, a bronco is supposed to have a rear mount spare! Plus this BII and my wife's FJ cruiser have lots in common, I would like to keep it that way

Also mounted license plate light and reverse light, ran wires through the bumper. I plan to modify the gas can swing to actually hold two cans of fuel instead of one. I still need to install rear view camera and 3rd high mount tail light
      Working on LED tail light build, but first I have a bunch of rust to repair and a roof rack that needs attention......

• Like Like x 3
    17. roscoe 0202

roscoe 0202 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      salt lake city utah
      1999 explorer sport
      love the license plate also I could stand to live in courdelaine or post falls or even Spokane
      roscoe

• Like Like x 1
    18. 410Fortune

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      New Autofab hood pins, I LOVE THESE THINGS
      First I had to grind out the old nuts from the parts store "stainless steel" specials. After 3 sets of those rusting out I found these from John at Autofab

New larger nuts welded in place
      [​IMG]

BIG holes in the hood
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]