410Fortune 1988 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 4x4 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 1988 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 4x4

wow okay all yesterday's posts are missing due to the ef.com error

Anyways in prep for moab I had to rebuild my entire front end yesterday
My slip yoke runs a spring in it to keep the passenger side axle stub shaft seated in the diff. This is because my ARB locker will not allow the factory c clip to be installed.

Last Sunday we went wheeling and I blew up the assembly. I had assumed the welds I made had failed, but I found out yesterday they did not fail, they were just in the wrong spot :p

So I rebuilt the whole deal yesterday.

ttbpass.jpg

ttbfront.jpg

ttbshaft.jpg

New:
Timken bearings & seals
Hawk Carbon metallic pads
rotors
U joint on pass side
new/used slip yoke stub shaft, welded

Cleaned everything up and she's good to go, 9 hours of work.

Today I install my new to me BW 1354 T case (mine is on its last legs, estimated 200K miles on it, it has been behind 5 transmissions in my truck and 3 different engines so it has sure seen some abuse.

The unit I am installing comes rom my buddy Joe Dietz (on this forum)
he had our friend Lynn at Performance Transmission rebuild it less then 1000 miles ago and then he converted to a manual BW 1354 t case.

truck will be ready ahead of schedule to hit the road tomorrow and be looking pretty for the pictures hahahaha

:)

This is Julee's new 07 FJ Cruiser, we took it to Slaughterhouse Gultch on Mothers day (same day I broke my Sh*^), this truck continues to impress me they are a GREAT platform. Nice and wide with a 105" wheelbase, Low crawl ratio, full skid plates, rock rails, and of course its a Toyota....She cannot wait to lift and lock this sucker. We saw 3 other FJ's on the trail last Sunday.
So much fun to drive (it actually has some balls, 4.0L DOHC 24V 60 degree V6 239 HP)............... which for me, is what Toyota has always been lacking

JuleeFJ.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FUN EXPLORER FORUM FACT:

The transfer case I am installing my truck today comes from Joe Deitz.

Joe bought his 93 Eddie Bauer new from Ford in 1993 and drove it/wheeled it for 160K miles. Then he ripped out the drivetrain and converted to a rebuilt 5.0L Ho with a 4r70w trans and 1354 manual t case

The old A4Ld that Joe had from the factory got rebuilt by Lynn at performance Transmission and installed in my BII when I converted my BII from a 4.0L 5 speed to a 4.0L Automatic (for towing and 4x4ing, plus I hate the Mazda 5 speed and clutch)

That auto transmission was then rebuilt by Transwerx in CA after I used it for 2 years and just about blew it up. When I converted to a V8 this transmission was traded to my buddy Bill in So Cal (Rangerx) for some parts.
That Transwerx A4Ld is still going in Rangerx's - wife's 93 Explorer sport.

A few years into my 4.0L conversion I ruined my 93 4.0L OHV block, the JB weld that had held for years failed and I had a cracked block.

To get me going again I dropped Joe Deitz's old 160K miles 4.0L OHV into my BII, I believe I gave Brett some parts or $$$ for the engine which he had gotten and stored from Joe.

I ran that engine to 200K something miles, then ripped it out when I converted to a V8.

This engine was shipped to Colin (Froader) in CA for the cost of shipping.
It runs STRONG as all well cared for OHV's do, synthetic oil since 5000K miles evrey 3000 miles, new gaskets, new waterpump, new oil pump, etc Joe is incredible at prevenative maintenence.

Froader and Section then loaded up Colins 5 cyl running 4 door on the flatbed along with the engine and drove to Texas, this engine was then installed into Froaders Explorer on the web cam

So now I have Joe's t case, the final piece of his OEM 93 drivetrain....

where will this sucker end up? hahaha
BW 1354 e shafts are not exactly "in demand" these days

sweet ride

Now that is what i am talking. no b.s. there, just good ol fashioned american know how. European crap "can't touch this"

Thanks man! My blood runs blue

Okay good news! I am almost finished with a 91 Explorer project, nothing fancy just removed the engine and transmission, both are being replaced...just waiting on brett to rebuild the A4LD

So I backed that 91 out of the garage and FINALLY have the BII back in there
I broke the truck in Moab earlier this year ....my front end went KABOOOM a few times...I suspect locker or spider gear damage, I spotted a U joint that fell apart and the pass side axle shaft has been missing since day 2 in Moab.

Shes going under the knife! I am trying to make a Holy Cross CO run on Sept 15th....12th annual broncos run Holy Cross trail...oh baby I would love to attend as I have always wanted to do Holy Cross

So today the front diff is coming out......

do i hear a plan for SAS coming???

SAS = $4500+ (that sucker is on hold, winter project?)

If I go SAS I am going long arm, coilovers, hi mount steer, D44, 4.56, ARB, all new everything on the axle....

So lets see if we can get some more time from the TTB if possible....

FUN EXPLORER FORUM FACT
Haha, Jamie, I missed this when you you first posted it! Classic!
Severeal times while sitting around the campfire at Truckhaven, we've had similar converssations, about who is running who's parts.

Glad you got back on that B2 :thumbsup: . Hope you make that run :salute:

Good news! Differential is out of the truck, took all of 45 minutes
I have my radius arm clearanced AND the bolt that holds the 3rd member to the beam has also been clearanced previously so I can drop the diff without removing the radius arm (I will get pics)

This makes it extremely easy to remove my front diff

The good news is I found the U joint on the drivers side knuckle KABLOOEY
I was so focused on the issues I was having in Moab with the pass side I believe I never even saw this damage.
The differential, gears and ARB locker look 100% A-okay

So I will be putting the TTB back together (after a bit of bench testing the ARB and see if I can get a C clip installed on the pass side)

I did get a chance to give my undercarriage a once over, the truck has been parked since Moab basically.
I found some more Moab carnage :)

- First the t case to transmission is leaking a bit, if you remeber I installed the new t case like the day before Moab just like normal. So I am going to re seat the t case.

- One of my rear most body mounts is in shambles, as in completely came apart :) Looks like its time to finally install those last 4 cargo area urethane body mounts (was avoiding this for a bit)

- The pass side power window is having some trouble going up and down hehehe 280K miles will do that I guess (how bout no more doors or half doors with soft windows??)

-My transmission shifter linkage slipped on the cable. The 96 Mustang floor shifter I used and the cable setup was meant to be temporary, so I guess its finally time to go Art Carr, I have trouble getting into Park or 1st (one or the other), not having 1st off road sucks.

-The rear diff has an air leak in it from my ARB, CROSS YOUR FINGERS ITS A SIMPLE COPER LINE/FITTING not ARB failure!!)

-I need all new tie rods in my Superrunner kit
I am going the path of Perry and will be rebuilding the superrunner kit with bearings and replaceable tie rod ends.

-I need new ball joints up front again. Moogs seem to last about 2-3 seasons on my rig before they are looooooooose
35's + locker + abuse = ball joints just cant hang

Wheel bearings and all other U joints good.

and of course the Ron Davis radiator still leaks...

BII needs some work! but these are simple things so she should be trail worthy in a couple weeks!! The rear ARB leak may be the big one, I am guessing a new seal at worst but I can usually get away without my rear locker on most trails so that may have to wait a bit....

I am considering a frame off cab swap for my truck as well..I am shopping for straight cheap BII bodies....it might finally be time to retire the old sheet metal :)

just noticed the hyperlite sticker in your back window.. nice! i have one in the back of mine too, same spot, different sticker. i do have that sticker though :)

-jenni

My BII has the Hyperlite sticker the Ex has a Liquid Force :) I ride both brands these days :)

Bill,

I did use the spring trick, but under extreme travel conditions the inner shaft will still pop out of the diff (like say 65 mph down a dirt road in poision spyder mesa). It is a matter of getting the right tension spring with the right length in the slip yoke, I have come close to being perfect but it still seperates once in a while. Brett has a newer style ARB locker in his front diff with a c clip (I dont believe I can do a c clip with my older style ARB) but if I can it would solve my problems. Brett has a very similar set of beams and suspension and does not have issues with the slip yoke coming apart.

If I can mock up some sort of external axle shaft retainer or get a c clip in there, now would be the time.

Hows So Cal treatin ya these days?

okay TTB is rebuilt, new welds on the dust cap this sucker is not coming apart again!
I replaced 2 u joints in the front axle shafts and both differential grease seals.
All is well

I next removed the skid plate and gas tank. I found my gas tank pressure sensor was broken and melted on the exhaust. I picked up a new sensor from Ford yesterday, $60
the broken body mounts on the rear of the truck allowed the body to flex enough to break this sensor off of the gas tank.

I then removed the 4 rear most body mounts....one of them I spent 2 hours on with a sawzall and chissle. Note to self get a torch.

Today I am replacing the 4 body mounts and fixing the gas tank.

I will be tearing into the rear diff this afternoon in hopes to pin point the ARB air leak. I am also replacing the passenger side window motor and door lock actuator, they are overdue.

Both doors require a bit of welding also

Pictures coming! I will be renewing my emissions later this week if all goes well, the truck has sat long enough for the stickers to expire.....

You sir, are a wrenching machine... Are there any bolts on that BII that you haven't touched? My dad has a '66 Triumph TR-4A that he did a full frame off restoration on in '79. There are 4 bolts on the vehicle (rear carrier capscrews) that he hasn't touched. Crazy...

not anymore

the only parts that were factory before this week are:

4 rear body mount bolts
pass side window motor
door hinges
rear wiper motor
some wiring behind the dash

after this week you can scratch the pass side window motor and door lock off the list.
That is a complete list! This entire truck has been rebuilt, several times in some cases. At last count this is the 7th transmission I have had in this truck (hopefully the last!) if that tells you anything. She was my "learning vehicle"

the body needs alot of attention, but thats all part of the plan...frame off with lots of tube and a body diet is coming real soon....

I still have 7 trucks at my house every night hahaha 1 belongs to Brett, 1 is for sale...the other 5 we keep!
I maintain a fleet!

The yellow FJ is getting LIFTED this month

Hope you get her back on the road soon!

My BII is temping as my daily driver again, but she needs some attention as well.

Are you still planning on a chop, solid, etc?

solid down the road, I patched the TTB together...Brett is still trying to sell me a built D44, ARB, 4,56, new everything and it has the welded on ford wedges so its perfect for me since I want long arm. My TTB already took a bunch of $$ so it would be nice to get a couple years out of it! In Moab even with my 18" or so of travel it was looking smallish compared to the solid axle rigs...hahahahah keeping up with the jonses

I doubt I will chop the BII but it wont have glass, doors, or a tailgate! Soft parts, half door inserts and lots of cage instead.....

Tube bender donations being accepted

Okay progress, I actually went 4x4ing on Saturday it did GREAT

The front end STILL POPS in 4x4 low, meaning its loading up and then BANG
Doesnt matter if its locked or unlocked.

So I did some testing...all is well its my damn hubs!

My 5 year old Warn hubs are both slipping, this is odd! I would have expected to blow a hub, not have them slipping at times, but then I have never blown a hub so it did not even occur to me they could be the issue.

I am getting new hubs, this time the upgraded Jeep version...

35's + ARB = a few years of wheeling and slickrock = Kablooey!

So I did ALOT of work to the BII, I got all the bugs fixed, and it turns out the major issue I was having is the hubs! Thank goodness!

I replaced: pass side window motor (easy), the pass side door lock actuator (modified explorer one to fit, cost me nothing, BII lock actuator is $104), I rebuilt the front end, I refurbished the rear end, I serviced the transmission, I fixed a bunch of little stuff...then took her wheeling.

I got strapped 3 times, we did a trail called Slaughterhouse Gulch, I picked some difficult lines and slipped into a hole, got semi off camber another time. Julee's FJ strapped the BII 3 times! Julee wedged a rock between the ground and her frame in the FJ, I used the factory rock rails and my hi lift to get it out.
We ended up wheeling at night because work on the BII = late start.
it was fun!

I am going for emissions today...fingers crossed, she looks funny with 33's and explorer wheels....i'll get some pics

Now on to the next project!

Taking truck for emissons right now, the new Warn hubs are TWICE AS HEAVY as the old ones, aside from that they look identical.
worn out 33 MT's make for an interesting drive......

CEL is off for the first time since the V8 conversion 100% (I had a DTRS code before, appears to be fixed now)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What did you do to get rid of the DTRS code? I'd love to get rid of mine.

I have a DTRS code that consistently appears. It appeared when we were down in Moab and I used your code scanner. It will go away for maybe a day and a half and then return for another week or so. I forget the exact code, but it is something like DTRS range sensor input high.

I've been told that it could be a bad sensor...Or that I might need to install my OD/OFF switch (I still haven't done this). I've had the DTRS reset at the dealer, and everything was in spec.

Let me know if yours reappears!

Back