410Fortune 1988 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 4x4 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 1988 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 4x4

Okay some pics

First emissions report, those tailpipe emissons are LOWER then this truck blew when it was a high state of tune 2.9L and 5 speed:
emissions.jpg

3 amigo's, my 96, the new $1000 97 and the BII on worn 33's:
3amigos.jpg

Bii with deerhoofs and BFG 33" MT's shaped like cones, also brand new Warn hubs hehehe
b2emissions07.jpg

The P0705 code is odd

It is a signal that is sent from the DTRS between R and N (exactly when light shows up)
I spoke with Ford yesterday, I have some friends at a local dealership.
Service Manager looked up Ford TSB on code P0705, it tells them how to diagnose the wiring circuit and possibly replace the sensor if all checks out.
Nothing about the computer, in fact they said this would rarely if ever be a computer problem

When I did my conversion I bought a brand spanking new DTRS (because I was getting this code) for a 98 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0L AWD. I installed it myself and I still get this code.
I can shift the trans by hand and I still get the code, so its not my shifter/linkage

I am going to check my wiring from the DTRS to the PCM directly to make sure everything is 100% (Multimeter, check pin at PCM, check pin at DTRS

Then I will attempt to adjust the DTRS again, if I have to I will but the ford tool or have the service guys at Ford do it.

Ford suspects a faulty wiring connection first, then a bad sensor.

This is the only code I get so it sucks to have done the conversion and still have a CEL in my face.

The guys at Baumman engineering were familiar with this code when I spoke with them a year ago.
They said its a signal from the DTRS between R and N that the computer does not expect to see.
I do know there were two DTRS's for explorers 95-97 and 98+
I have the 98 + because my trans and PCM come from a 98, but this does not mean ford didnt use a left over 97 DTRS on my trans or something....but I got this code with the DTRS that came with my trans....so??
Baumman suggested scanning PCM and removing this function (setting a code when it sees this signal)

Who and where is my problem? Need somebody with this ability in their scanner, me buying a programmer is still a ways off ($$$ for tools)

Wiring check first......

After I lick this I am fixing all my rust/bodywork...been putting it off too long!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recent pictures:

Moab 2007

Julee driving on Poison spider:
julee1.jpg

Hells gate entrance

hellsenter.jpg

Hells gate entrance II
hellsenter2.jpg

Slipped off the wall on Hellsgate when Jefe (spotter) was walking from side to side to get a better view, oops! Almost layed her over:
hellstirelift.jpg

Ooops got a bit tippy, BII hates when front tire gets in a hole, the rear likes to unload and roll her on her side
tippy.jpg

Body diet and cage should cure this, as will extended wheelbase

Some short videos (right click, save as) from Slaughterhouse last May:

I got in some goo and couldnt make the climb (some foul language):
http://fortuneelevatorconsultants.com/B2/2007/MOV05344.MPG

Julee was excited that she got to pull me out with her FJ, taking the strap:
http://fortuneelevatorconsultants.com/B2/2007/MOV05345.MPG

The POP you hear in video 2 is the same problem I was having in Moab, and last weekend, I believe it was the hubs I will know 100% when I test her out this weekend

Great videos!

Do they test her as a V6 or a V8?

I just take it in, their only option in the computer is V6, so they run her as a V6 and she passes with flying colors! The newer V8 burns much cleaner than the old 2.9L.

I found my code, PO708, a little different than your PO705. If I can scan the computer to remove this function that would be great.

Check out page 19 of my 5.0L conversion for the TSB info including your P0708
(post #376)

P0708 - The voltage for TR3A (displayed in TR_V) was higher than 1.8V

Points to short in wires or bad resistor in DTRS sensor

TR3A I believe is Drive (tr1=1st? tr2=2nd?)

( I too am just trying to understand this chart...)

Man, seeing those Moab pics has me itchin' to go back. I had way too much fun out there. Hope you get your computer problem worked out.

now thats a bronco!!! nice rig

wow October 07 last I checked in here!! thanks for the compliment!!

the BII was parked in storage all winter but shes back at home now! Getting ready for some major updates including:

Fix front end, whether I stick with TTB or go solid ($$$$)
New steering (way too much slop)
New t case (BW 1354 isnt cutting it anymore) either Atlas or BW 4406 if I can make it fit

whats wrong with the 1354?

1354 isnt low range enough anymore, I want low low low range without having to re-gear my diffs (4.10 now, great with V8 and 35's)

4406 may be easiest, but its a tough fit and my transmission has already been converted with the AA adapter (I have another 4r70w I could build and use easily with 4406 t case)

Doubler = option, but under a BII it will worsen my already steep rear d shaft angle, doubler is also alot of custom work

Atlas T case = $$$$$$$$$ more $$$ then I have, but may be worth the investment

rear end is going back 1.5" the front is going forward 3-4" :)

I have considered a 3 or 4 link rear for the BII, but honestly with the amount of flex I can get with just some simple leafs the front is what needs help to keep up. Moving the rear axle back much further then that would require a fuel cell up in the cargo area as well, etc.

With my current rear setup (4" Skyjacker leafs "slightly used", 2" tappered block, front and rear shock setup like stock BII) I can completely stuff a 35" right up to the floor
The rear has alot of flex, still more to give too....I plan to go deavers, remove block and some outboard shocks up through the floor... the locating pin on the new leafs will move back just a "touch"

Once I have a mad travel front end (20"+) then we will come back to looking at a 4 link rear

nice cage BTW, looking really trick with all those bends and 4 bucket seats...

thanks each bend seems to be taking about 3 days, and there's a lot of bends.

a good trick you could try on your springs would be to flip them around. I got mine re-arched on my 94 and accidenlty mounted them up backwards, the rear axle moved back about 3"

And when you pull 20" in the front, I want to see it go down cause I'll be copycat'n that.

You going to Moab in May? Maybe we'll finally wheel together!

Yes Moab with BII and FJ

20" will be either D44 TTB or D44 SAS

If I go SAS I am going long arm/coils (coilovers), no wristed arms for me :)

Finished up two other projects (including a drivetrain replace in a 91 Explorer sport and then an engine replace in a 94 Explorer sport LOL) then cleaned up the garage and brought the BII home finally...

I am removing:
steering column (300K miles = it squeaks a bit LOL)
Steering shaft (eliminate rag joint)
superrunner steering (to be rebuilt using bearings and new tie rods)

Front Differential (again, 4x4 is still screwed up)
transfer case (suspect a problem with this case and it has clearance issues hitting the floor of my BII, I was in such a rush to make Moab 07 I forgot to trim it a bit LOL)

-transmission shifter / linkage and bracket I made when I did the 5.0 conversion
My 96 Mustang floor shifter is hitting the transmission
the bracket I made does not allow me to get 1st gear, a big no no for 4x4ing

the gages, my gages are jacked up, I got them from some BII from some junk yard, etc
The tach reads wrong with the 5.0 computer, my gas gage reads empty when I still have 8 gallongs, the speedo jumps all over the place (300K miles on that sucker 88 odometer!)
so they are going in the trash

This all gets fixed for Moab 08

then I can get on with the big plans I have for this summer for the BII muahahahaha
pictures coming, it was 70 here yesterday, I got a tan... now we are getting 4-8" of snow
crazy Colorado.....

Glad to see that the BII has come out to play again.

You going to stick with the same transfer case?

Do you think just getting a new gas gauge and speedo will fix your problem? My gas gauge and speedo do the same thing.

aftermarket gages for sure this time around
The cable drive speedometers are known for jumping around with high mileage
The little speedo thingy in your gage likely needs to be replaced (I think its called a head) I have also heard the drive gear in the t case itself (that drives the speedo sensor and cable) gets worn out and will cause the jumping

for now I will be using a 1354 t case yes...
eventually I want to do something different, doubler, D20, Atlas, 4406, something....

Okay BII is a wreck! LOL Well its all torn apart anyway.
I found my steering slop, its the Stupidlift idler arm for the steering, worn out. Going to cut it then tap it to accept a Dana 35 outer tie rod end. Also replacing all of the tie rods in the rest of the kit. I may also weld my drop pitman arm to the steering box )couple of tack welds) that sucker just will not stay tight!

I found the issue with my front diff, one of th emetal pins in the side of the ARB locker has backed out enough to contact the pinion gear... not good! Taking it in for an estimate today. I always try to support small business, well with my gears and lockers this has been a big mistake....both shops who I paid to setup gears and lockers have gone under leaving me with no warranty. This time I am taking the diff to High Country 4x4 here in CO, they are not going anywhere. They charge a bit more, but they stand behind their work. If my ARB is bad I will likley not be fixing it...no more $$$ into the D35 TTB if I can help it

Steering column is out, needs to be replaced

Transfer case is out, it checks out okay so I will likely re-install it
I found my driveshaft is HITTING the BII body... need to do some clearancing (so thats where that noise was coming from! LOL)

My 96 Mustand shifter is out, I need to find a new cable and bracket for the transmission side of things, my home brew setup was not working properly.

the radiator is out, getting replaced with a much smaller unit I got for a steal last year (Advance Adapters aluminum conversion unit)

Truck should be back up and running in two weeks or so...

fingers crossed!

yes yes it is actually time to work on MY trucks LOL
I got everyone elses trucks fixed, including building a 94 Sport for my neighbors (small profit) so now its the BII's turn! LOL

I fought and fought and now I have my garage back! LOL

pics coming

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tick tick tick...I'm on the same time frame. I need to wire in aftermarket guages on my truck prior to Moab as well, also need to address exhaust that was chopped off for the new rear shocks and also pull apart my entire front end that was leaking (hope it's not bent), replace my radius arm bushings(not necessary, but I'll be right there anyway and going to replace all 3 front u-joints prior to the trip (last priority).

Back