410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2)

Okay here we go 09/13/05

In march of 05 I rolled my new to me 96 5.0L AWD 86K miles, just after driving it back to CO from OR and putting $1000 into it. You see I bought this truck from my brother with 86K miles on the clock, it would not pass emissions for him and he drove it into the ground. This was the same explorer he bought new when I got the BII from him for $500 12 something years ago.
Well I payed him $500 for the green Explorer and $1000 later (shocks, tune up, 02 sensors, etc) it was in primo condition. Then I rolled it in an ice storm...
RIP 96 EB:
2893expldr-med.jpg

exafter.jpg

So in April my buddy Brett found this great deal here in town for a 96 XLT 5.0L AWD, $900 is what I paid, it has front end damage and air bags deployed, picked it up from a fellow board member:
2893drives.jpg

After the wreck the owner put in a new radiator and battery so it could be driven.
The truck has sat since April of this year, untouched, until this morning.
I have been preparing my new garage to accept my new project, and well she's ready, so today is the day I am driving this truck home.
To my disbelief this truck had no problem and started right up after sitting since April!

Here are some "before" shots:
Font end damage, sagging T bars, new rad:
beforework1.jpg

No airbags, interior is in great shape! (just needs TLC):
interiorbefore1.jpg

Rear:
rear.jpg

It has some "issues". Like steering extension is rubbing the manifold (3" body lift), no dipstick:
dipstickmissing.jpg

No fan, No ac condensor, and no trans cooler:
nofan.jpg

This is a 1996 5.0L AWD XLT with 151K miles on the clock.
Truck is loaded with sunroof, leather, tint, etc.
Previous owner installed 3" body lift and 33" tires.
Alot of things have been "rigged" but it runs and drives fine!

I will be completely removing the front clip, everything except the frame and inner fenders will be cut out. The entire drivetrain will be pulled (too many miles), the entire front end will be fixed, new bushings, bearings, new steering rack, torsio bar twist, shocks, brakes, etc.

the body lift will be fixed and or reduced to 1-2". the rear bumper will be re-located.

The drivetrain from my green 96 will be installed into this truck, along with alot of other "donor" parts.

The front clip will then be replaced using factory metal replacements, welding in new rad support, and then prepped for paint.

truck needs new windshield, airbags, and alot of TLC.

My long term plans for this truck include: "long travel" 4x4 IFS suspension lift (dixon bro's Camburg, etc). Stereo, tow package, SOA, low range T case, and custom everything else.
This is my "other" baby, and in keeping with tradition she will have the heart of my brothers old truck, just like the BII was his and run into the ground, so was "part" of this one.

Still no car payment after 12+ years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not as far as I can tell :) I measured and measured and it appears to be 100% untouched.

The previous owner did not have the front two body mounts installed (3" body lift). Apparently he couldnt get the bolts out or something so they were just left with the radiator support kinda hanging there. Shortly after he wrecked it, light front end and it pushed the body/headlight etc back but the frame just slid right under un-touched.

the shape of the Gen II frame horns is odd, it looks twisted when you look at it from different angles, I prefer my boxy BII rails.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

410Fortune said:
...the shape of the Gen II frame horns is odd, it looks twisted when you look at it from different angles, I prefer my boxy BII rails.
agreed

even if the front horns are bent sometimes it doesnt tweak the rest of the frame and just needs to be straightened...for example a '97 X I had repaired, the front was hammered against a poll by a 16 year old girl whose daddy couldn't afford full coverage, the front horns were bent at like a 30 degree angle and the rest of the frame was purfect.

what the hell does TTB mean anyways? I'm assuming it has something to do with IFS?

TTB is twin traction beam, or the earlier 4x4 suspension found under 83-97 Rangers, 84-90 BII's and Gen I Explorer's.

the damage on my green explorer STOPPED at the control arm brackets, the frame horns from there forward were tweaked alot more then 30 degree's :) This truck was slamed into a concret barrier at aprox 40 mph head on, then deflected straight up in the air and landed on its side, sliding another 10-15 feet. All the damage was forward of the front axle, the frame rails (you can ee in the pics) twisted like wet noodles...
I will be able to keep 80% of the front end parts for spares.

As for updates I am out of town for the holidays, when I get back next week I am having a friend come over to run 220V to the garage. Once this is done I can weld in the new radiator support. Before this happens however I will take a weekend and install the new cam/lifters/pushrods and prep the truck for the new body parts :)

As with all projects I am waiting on more $$$ in the budget

what kind of welder did you get ?

Hobart 180 Mig, 220V with Argon/C02 :)

I need to run 220 to the garage, happening next week, then it is ON!!

I got a self adjusting mask and gloves for X mas as well

Cool i bet they will be put to good use

Lifted or Lowered, I cannot decide people! I am back and forth onthis daily

There are some awesome 4x4 A arm lift kits about to hit the market in addition to the Dixon Bro's kit that is already out.

towing is a concern but I just love the idea of being able to do a little romping in a 4 door ex and a 4-5" lifted 4x could tow my boat just fine.

HELP!

Updates to this thread coming real soon, I cut off the rad support metal with a chissel and have swapped out alot of the underhood stuff with the new refurbished (cleaned basically) stuff from my lower milage rolled truck.

I also ordered my camshaft (E-303), timing set and water pump. Once it is installed I am ready to weld on the new rad support and then its just bolting it all back together and buying all the parts I need.

Whatever I decide the body lift is coming off ASAP. Also I will be swapping the 8.8 from the green truck under this one once its running.

Green truck = 87K miles
Blue truck = 153K miles

lift it....for sure ;)

I say lift it, then you can go full all out rock crawler on the B2 can't you? you did say you wanted the best of both worlds, whats better than having a truck specifcally for each!

the only thing is I already have the BII and the big tires and noisy cab gets old after a while a Slightly lowered stock suspension and 18 mpg just sounds like a nice change of pace, thats about the only argument I can make for that :)

that and the $$$$ it costs to go up with LT

I say just do a TT and add-a-leafs or shackles, front locker, 31's and call it a day, but it's up to you.

410Fortune said:
the only thing is I already have the BII and the big tires and noisy cab gets old after a while a Slightly lowered stock suspension and 18 mpg just sounds like a nice change of pace, thats about the only argument I can make for that :)

that and the $$$$ it costs to go up with LT

That's a good argument. I like the idea of getting into my stock X with non aggresive tires, stock exhaust system putting the windows up and listining to my CD.s or nothing at all. Sometimes silence is golden. But then again I do have the B11 and can't imagine how loud inside the cab is going to be.

you = wind noise :) hahaha
Think of driving a boat with tire sounds instead of water.

My BII is just squeaky, the body mounts and shocks, etc.
Thats okay all that is the next project (cage tied into cab, interior stripped down, body mounts all replaced w/urethane and a fine tuned suspension.
Dont get me wrong the BII takes bumps in the road better then a stock Explorer, it's plush, but driving around in my 96 (pre rollover) or room mates Sport Trac or in my parents cars I am like, hmmmmmm nice and quiet, no big tires, gas gage doesn't move every time you go to get the mail, etc...hahaha

Yes the 96 has a 3" BL and 33" worn out mudders on stock rims.
This sucker had mud packed up around the top of the fuel filler, I think I took about 85# of mud off the truck already, and everytime I hit it with a hammer more mud dust falls to the floor :) This AWD was taken through some stuff by the previus owner for sure! The blue interior also has mud all over it.

The BL is coming off however, but that will be after shes back on the road and running around a bit. If I decide (more like when) to lift it the truck would get a long travel 4-5" suspension (no more torsion bars) and a low range t case. would get 33's, no 31's for me :) Sport Trac fiberglass as well.
I think you guys can see where I am going with this.

But that costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and will take time.

Here are a couple pictures showing the sheetmetal on the inner fenders, just after I used a hammer and chisel (thats right by hand) to remove the remains of the radiator support:
B0000DD1XC.01-A3TQ3OIW6NTQKL._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
3171.jpg

That sucker cut right through the factory spot welds with no problems. Took approx 2 hours to do both sides going slow (football was on):
dsidecut.jpg

psidecut.jpg

I'll get some pictures of the rest of the work ASAP.
Getting closer, plenty to do while I wait for more parts...

410Fortune said:
Lifted or Lowered, I cannot decide people! I am back and forth onthis daily

I vote lower it. Make a nice DD out of it. You already have your BII lifted and were talking about getting a ranger or something lifting it and turning it into a desert rig.

yes this would eliminate the Ranger project, but then I could do a Mustang :) hahahaha

cars are designed to be lowered...

trucks are designed to be lifted...

nuff said

Back