410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2) | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2)

Okay here we go 09/13/05

In march of 05 I rolled my new to me 96 5.0L AWD 86K miles, just after driving it back to CO from OR and putting $1000 into it. You see I bought this truck from my brother with 86K miles on the clock, it would not pass emissions for him and he drove it into the ground. This was the same explorer he bought new when I got the BII from him for $500 12 something years ago.
Well I payed him $500 for the green Explorer and $1000 later (shocks, tune up, 02 sensors, etc) it was in primo condition. Then I rolled it in an ice storm...
RIP 96 EB:
2893expldr-med.jpg

exafter.jpg

So in April my buddy Brett found this great deal here in town for a 96 XLT 5.0L AWD, $900 is what I paid, it has front end damage and air bags deployed, picked it up from a fellow board member:
2893drives.jpg

After the wreck the owner put in a new radiator and battery so it could be driven.
The truck has sat since April of this year, untouched, until this morning.
I have been preparing my new garage to accept my new project, and well she's ready, so today is the day I am driving this truck home.
To my disbelief this truck had no problem and started right up after sitting since April!

Here are some "before" shots:
Font end damage, sagging T bars, new rad:
beforework1.jpg

No airbags, interior is in great shape! (just needs TLC):
interiorbefore1.jpg

Rear:
rear.jpg

It has some "issues". Like steering extension is rubbing the manifold (3" body lift), no dipstick:
dipstickmissing.jpg

No fan, No ac condensor, and no trans cooler:
nofan.jpg

This is a 1996 5.0L AWD XLT with 151K miles on the clock.
Truck is loaded with sunroof, leather, tint, etc.
Previous owner installed 3" body lift and 33" tires.
Alot of things have been "rigged" but it runs and drives fine!

I will be completely removing the front clip, everything except the frame and inner fenders will be cut out. The entire drivetrain will be pulled (too many miles), the entire front end will be fixed, new bushings, bearings, new steering rack, torsio bar twist, shocks, brakes, etc.

the body lift will be fixed and or reduced to 1-2". the rear bumper will be re-located.

The drivetrain from my green 96 will be installed into this truck, along with alot of other "donor" parts.

The front clip will then be replaced using factory metal replacements, welding in new rad support, and then prepped for paint.

truck needs new windshield, airbags, and alot of TLC.

My long term plans for this truck include: "long travel" 4x4 IFS suspension lift (dixon bro's Camburg, etc). Stereo, tow package, SOA, low range T case, and custom everything else.
This is my "other" baby, and in keeping with tradition she will have the heart of my brothers old truck, just like the BII was his and run into the ground, so was "part" of this one.

Still no car payment after 12+ years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Fortune said:
My BII is just squeaky, the body mounts and shocks, etc.
Thats okay all that is the next project (cage tied into cab, interior stripped down, body mounts all replaced w/urethane and a fine tuned suspension.
Dont get me wrong the BII takes bumps in the road better then a stock Explorer, it's plush, but driving around in my 96 (pre rollover) or room mates Sport Trac or in my parents cars I am like, hmmmmmm nice and quiet, no big tires, gas gage doesn't move every time you go to get the mail, etc...hahaha

I know exactly what you mean here, thats why i got my mustang to drive 6-7 months out of the year. :) it was pretty funny when i got a new job this summer, started carpooling, then winter came around and my co-worker had to ride in my beast instead of my stang which still deosn't really compare to his TSX... anyway i went on a quieting mission, replacing hubs, weather stripping, tightening interior panels etc. and this was only on a 99'

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Lift the explorer 3 inches 31's or 32's and put some of that noise reduction material down to get rid of the wind noise. or some of it. it also just happens with age. Any more updates?

If the Explorer gets lifted it will be a long travel A arm kit from either Dixon, Camburg, or custom.
Typically these SUSPENSION lifts are 4-5".
I will not retain torsion bars, I will not do a body lift.
No 31's or 32's for me either, 33" or larger with glass if needed. :)

Not trying to be a snob, just know not to waste time anymore with temp setups, go right for the gold....

You got me thinkin about new A arms already and I don't even have my lift installed...

Keystone Light? C'mon, you're better than that!

Pfffft it's the specially lined can. I friggin love KL.

New evidence to paroooze:
stwrecked.bmp

stwrecked2.bmp

Compare to:
xltstripped2.jpg

From where I sit the inner fender and the radiator support SURE do look familiar.
My search for a ST front end continues.....

Further research concludes that I can purchase all aftermarket parts needed for about $1000 if I want to convert to the ST style front clip. I am not impressed with that price or the cheapo aftermarket metal.. the Mcneil gen I to ST converison is under that price as well so it might be worth it to go that route. I was hoping to avoid the 3" bulged fenders and extra work to make thie clip fit.

I am still looking for all (or most at least) parts from one truck, OEM for my project. But these pictures of wrecked ST's = I dont have to pull one apart to confirm the Gen II and ST are similar underneath.

From what I can see here it looks to be a bolt up conversion.

Here's another Exploder with the Fiberwerx F-150 3 piece clip.

NICE

x-plorer_frnt.jpg

x-plorer_fside.jpg
x-plorer_driver_3-4.jpg

Needs some finishing work/bimper, bigger tires, hide the framerails but this kit looks pretty wicked on a built Expo, yet another option to consider

wow is that a second gen with a TTB? i'd like to see more pics of that suspension...
they must have to narrow the hood or something to make it fit an explorer?

no its a gen II with 2wd equal length beams

the whole front end is a Fiberwerx fiberglass clip made to fit the Explorer but look like an F-150 with a cowl hood and louvers

damn they definately got some serious travel on that sucker!

FOUND!!

I located a complete Sport Trac from clip in Sacramento CA

I am working with the guy right now on a price, and it looks like I will be driving out there to get it :)
Could this be the first gen II Explorer with a Sport Trac front clip???

Hell yes!

410Fortune said:
FOUND!!

I located a complete Sport Trac from clip in Sacramento CA

I am working with the guy right now on a price, and it looks like I will be driving out there to get it :)
Could this be the first gen II Explorer with a Sport Trac front clip???

Hell yes!
This is gonna look awesome dude, when are ya makin the trip?

Sart: Littleton, Colorado, United States
End: Sacramento, California, United States
Total Distance: 1188.4 Miles
Estimated Total Time: 17 hours, 8 minutes

Looks like you got quite the ride ahead of you! Thats even farther than I went to pick up my lift...

Start: Ypsilanti, Michigan, United States
End: Salem, New London, Connecticut, United States
Total Distance: 729.9 Miles
Estimated Total Time: 10 hours, 57 minutes

Ah what people do for their cars!

If your anything like I am you will end up staying a few days and blowing around $800 havin fun. :rolleyes:

If ya need a place to lay your head in Sacramento let me know. We ought to chat about doing a 4R70W for you to pick up at the same time. I will be out of CA next weekend though.....

I can do it in 16! hahaha the road from CO to CA is familiar territory for me. My family has been back and forth my whole life, I think the BII alone has made the trip 6 times (4 with my brother)

this time it will likely be with a F-250......

Oh sure! You'll drive that far for parts, but not to wheel with us! :p :thumbdwn: ;)

Why don't you have it shipped, you nut!

You can sleep in my garage. :D

Bill,

Its all about the timing man! I was not ready for T haven, the BII needs some work before it goes that far still. Now I found a 98 Mounty front clip here in town on Craiglist for 1/3 the cost of the ST clip, in PERFECT shape.
Figures.

I am going to end up with like 4 gen II explorer front ends, I already have a sport front end and doors, and whats left of my two 96's.
Who needs some sheetmetal?

If I sleep in your garage is it next to your truck? That thing has some good parts on it I hear :)
MUWAHAHAHAA

I am still waiting to hear back on the price on the ST stuff.
Shipping the front end would ruin the road trip part of the trip you see?
If I can take a 5-7 day road trip for the same cost of shipping....well you know me.

410Fortune said:
...I am going to end up with like 4 gen II explorer front ends, I already have a sport front end and doors, and whats left of my two 96's.
Who needs some sheetmetal?...
I actually think I might need the wiring harness off a driverside door...My door lock button doesn't work. I tore it apart one day thinking it was the switch only to find out there wasn't 12V getting to it. Passenger side works fine. Haven't looked into it much since, it's more annoying than anything else. I still need to check for power on the trucks harness...

Good luck on the front clip purchase!

Scratch that. No more Sport Trac clip for me.
I just got home with a complete 97 mercury Mountaineer front clip, everything in PERFECT shape. I got a deal I could not pass up so the ST front end will have to wait for another day.

plan is to run the later model headlights (Mercury not Explorer) and a limited bumper cover. I also got the AC condensor, radiator and the running boards in the deal :)
Airbags are coming next, from the same donor truck.

Excellent! My project just got a HUGE boost.
I plan to install a cam this weekend, then all I have to do is get a fan and weld on a new core support and she'll be back on the road ready for more modifications....

Once I sort through all the parts it looks like I will have a surplus of parts including two complete 97 Sport doors, two sport fenders with trim, a 97 sport hood with a small dent, grills, lights and some other Exploder stuff.

the guy I bought this all from also has a complete 97.5 GT-40p 5.0L/ 4R70W drivetrain (minus AWD t case) with 73K miles on it for sale...

410Fortune said:
...the guy I bought this all from also has a complete 97.5 GT-40p 5.0L/ 4R70W drivetrain (minus AWD t case) with 73K miles on it for sale...
hmm TheRookie might be interrested in that drivetrain...

Back