410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

I picked up my transfer case last night.
Two t cases were included in the deal, one is strictly for parts.

The t case I will be using in my 96 5.0L AWD explorer is a 2001 F-150 BW 4406 manual shift :) this makes me very happy. I will no longer have full time AWD, instead I will have 2wd, 4hi and 4 low, increased RWHP, better MPG, and less tire wear. Also a more capable truck off road for light wheeling (getting to the fishing spot, colorado winters, etc)

I have ALOT of research to do before I get started collecting more parts and modifying the t case so it can be installed...I am just beggining this conversion.
Once I get a better picture of everything that is needed I can post more.

I know I need to get the manual shifter linkage and driveshafts/driveshaft parts at the very least.

I will have to figure out how to make a speed sensor talk to my 96 computer from this case, I will have to make this sucker fit under my truck, and I will have to modify some driveshafts to work or the T case itself before I can bolt it in.

For now the pictures:

Mid 80-90's full size bronco T case (possibly use the driveshaft yokes, sensors, tailhousing, etc we will see):
tcase1.jpg

The FSB t case tag:
tcase2.jpg

And now the new baby, 2001 BW 4406 manual shift:
tcase3.jpg

Oh my 4406 T case has 7 miles on it hahahaha and I bought it for likely less then Ford would pay BW for this case!! Shhhhh....dont tell anyone.

Anyone want to buy a 96 AWD t case, work perfect, approx 85K miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its done!

WOW that was alot of work! The sucker fought me all the way all weekend, I spent I think about 18 hours on this cnoversion this weekend, Saturday and Sunday.
It is 90% done and I am SUPER HAPPY (need to install boot and shift lever only)
The 2wd is *****IN!! the 4low is *****in!

It is a TIGHT fit.
Stabbing the 4406 t case by yourself can be interesting to say the least, I recommend purchasing or borrowing a transmission jack, getting a helper, or my new method: take a break, drink a Rockstar energy drink, lay down, put the t case on your rib cage and bench press that sucker up in the air and hang it on the transmission output shaft WOW my arms are a bit sore today.

I have done many t cases this way (bench press) but this 4406 is a MONSTER and with it being such a tight fit the front bracket for the gas tank cannt be in place, the gas tank must be hanging and THEN and only then can you get it in place, found this out the HARD WAY hahaha

I need to get to Ford and buy a 17 tooth gear for the speedo, but it works FLAWLESSLY. I also used 2 quarts of el cheapo Mercon III, I wanted to get a few miles on it then do another drain and fill this afternoon, I will be putting Synthetic back in.

WOW, truck drives SO NICE!! No vibrations, more power at all times, especially when climbing steep grades. With my engine mods when I punch it now the truck squats and takes off alot faster then it did before.
Its not night and day power wise, but its def a huge improvement!!!

FYI it took me an hour and a half just to cut the hole/pit in my output shaft for the 1/4" ball bearing to sit in that holds my speedo drive gear in place..

Pictures later today! (left them at home)

SO happy!!!

AWD T case for sale $200 85K miles.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

with 3.73 and 33" tires ($160 ea) I dont think I will be doing any burnouts.
But I do have some stock size firestones.....hmmmm hehehehe
AWD is for the birds, 2wd,4hi,4 LOW is where its at!

You're a pioneer, man! :cool: Very cool.

I did say you would have to lower the gas tank and remove the mount. Thats pretty cool you got the speedo gear in. Are you going to wire up the lights for the shifter?

i know :) hahaha late Sat night I was trying to get that sucker in there taking short cuts, after wearing myself out I cleaned up, pushed the truck forward into the garage and took a break until Sun morning.

Grinder and 12# seldge made short work of that gas tank bracket, I have 1/16" of clearance between it and the t case, seriously its a tight ass fit! I was thinking of actually ovaling out the holes in the frame for the bracket and moving the gas tank 1/2" closer to the frame. Also I completely ditched that worthless plastic gas tank guard.

Yes I am going to wire up the lights, possibly today while I have the interior apart.
First I am going to Ford to get a 18 tooth gear, the 19 thats in there is a bit off.

Fax me the 19T!

it goes in my collection, I have 16,19,20,21 several 19 and 20's :)
By the time I send you the 19 you could have got it from your local dealer for the same price, unless I have other parts you want we can put all in one big box?
Let the trading begin!!! hahaha

I am sick of the 3.73 now, I am thinking 4.56 in this 96 would be oh so sick.

Yeah, the only way to make it worth it would be to fax it to me. :p: I'm going to buy one today (or whenever they finish my Mountaineer).

Looking forward to the pics! Great job so far.

410Fortune said:
Its done!

It is a TIGHT fit.
Stabbing the 4406 t case by yourself can be interesting to say the least, I recommend purchasing or borrowing a transmission jack, getting a helper, or my new method: take a break, drink a Rockstar energy drink, lay down, put the t case on your rib cage and bench press that sucker up in the air and hang it on the transmission output shaft WOW my arms are a bit sore today.

I have done many t cases this way (bench press) but this 4406 is a MONSTER and with it being such a tight fit the front bracket for the gas tank cannt be in place, the gas tank must be hanging and THEN and only then can you get it in place, found this out the HARD WAY hahaha

WOW, truck drives SO NICE!! No vibrations, more power at all times, especially when climbing steep grades. With my engine mods when I punch it now the truck squats and takes off alot faster then it did before.
Its not night and day power wise, but its def a huge improvement!!!

Good work!

I had to do the case the same way, Im not sure if a jack would help because of the gas tank. I just hung mine on the output shaft and swung it up there. It wasnt too bad for me. My worst problem was getting under the truck with the case on my chest, I didn't have it high enough.

What is really amazing is when you tow something heavy with the 2wd. It really shows then.

:thumbsup:

My problem was lifting the case after lifting 6 previous times alredy and wrenching all day, its not that heavy, just hard to get a grip on!!

picked up 17 and 18 tooth gears from Ford, Ford supply of gears is going fast thank goodness for the aftermarket!
Unfortunatley I put the boat away for the winter so I wont be towing heavy objects until spring.

Will be finishing up my conversion this afternoon, I will post my pics and write up tonight hopefully.

I am curious to see how close the 18 tooth gear gets me, I will use my GPS to find out

So i think my om or somebody has accidently put my mounty in 4wd. I go back home novemeber 2nd but im sweating bullets already.I wish i had a chance to wire the lights in before i left.

[QUOTE='97 V8]So i think my om or somebody has accidently put my mounty in 4wd. I go back home novemeber 2nd but im sweating bullets already.I wish i had a chance to wire the lights in before i left.[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly why I wired up my lights, some one not observant can knock it in to 4hi and toast a T case in a hurry!

The mounty doesnt see more then 45 mph when my mom drives it. Im having my sister send me a picture of the shifter position when she goes home this friday.

Pictures!

Took me about 1.5 hours to get this hole cut in the output shaft to house the ball bearing. 1/4" ball bearing from hardware store.
I used a dremmel motor with a metal cutting ball tip, it was slow going, measuring, cutting, testing the fit:
ballbearing.jpg

The speedo drive gear is held to the output shaft with the new bearing and hole:
bbspeedo.jpg

There is a clamp collar that goes behind the speedo gear once it is pulled 100% over the bearing to make sure its locked in place
bbspeedoin.jpg

Tailhousing cleaned:
tailhousingclean.jpg

AWD case (fore) compared to new 4406 with tailhousing and speed sensor installed.
compare.jpg

2001 Expedition Front driveshaft at transfer case:
fdshaftpinion.jpg

Front shaft with new 1330 to 1310 hybrid U joint:
hybrid.jpg

2001 Expedition Rear d shaft clearance and pinion. I removed the plastic gas tank shield.
The front gas tank bracket was cut and bent to allow clearance for the new t case. Entire tank and slidplate were dropped to stab case, then fuel tank bracket was re-installed
rdshaft.jpg

rear d shaft at t case with slip yoke, cleaned and greased.
rdshaftslip.jpg

2001 F-1590 manual t case shifter bolted to trans tailhousing:
shifterbolt.jpg

view from trans access panel interior:
shifterbolt2.jpg

new linkage rod from ford to t case:
linkage.jpg

Shift arm installed after the hole was cut using a drill and jig saw:
shiftarm.jpg

New 18 tooth speedo gear from ford:
speedgear.jpg

Geo Tracker boot from junk yard. The way I used it I installed it from underneath the trans tunnel and through the carpet:
boot1.jpg

boot2.jpg

boot3.jpg

boot4.jpg

BAM!!! seats, center console, carpet, boot, knob all installed

boot5.jpg

Ta-Daaa!

4X4 baby

Very cool. Lets see how the wiring goes for the lights since we sorta have the same year.

Looks nice, the BL certainly helps with the shifter height. Your pictures came out very nice, I guess because the BL allowed more room for pictures.

How close is your speedo now?

There is a small ring on the upper part of the shifter that held the stock boot on that I removed. Under certain conditions, it would vibrate just right and make noise. I just grabbed it with a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled it off.

Back