410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

I picked up my transfer case last night.
Two t cases were included in the deal, one is strictly for parts.

The t case I will be using in my 96 5.0L AWD explorer is a 2001 F-150 BW 4406 manual shift :) this makes me very happy. I will no longer have full time AWD, instead I will have 2wd, 4hi and 4 low, increased RWHP, better MPG, and less tire wear. Also a more capable truck off road for light wheeling (getting to the fishing spot, colorado winters, etc)

I have ALOT of research to do before I get started collecting more parts and modifying the t case so it can be installed...I am just beggining this conversion.
Once I get a better picture of everything that is needed I can post more.

I know I need to get the manual shifter linkage and driveshafts/driveshaft parts at the very least.

I will have to figure out how to make a speed sensor talk to my 96 computer from this case, I will have to make this sucker fit under my truck, and I will have to modify some driveshafts to work or the T case itself before I can bolt it in.

For now the pictures:

Mid 80-90's full size bronco T case (possibly use the driveshaft yokes, sensors, tailhousing, etc we will see):
tcase1.jpg

The FSB t case tag:
tcase2.jpg

And now the new baby, 2001 BW 4406 manual shift:
tcase3.jpg

Oh my 4406 T case has 7 miles on it hahahaha and I bought it for likely less then Ford would pay BW for this case!! Shhhhh....dont tell anyone.

Anyone want to buy a 96 AWD t case, work perfect, approx 85K miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am now searching for the pigtail to connect wirres to my shift position sensor.
AS soon as I have that sucker I will connect the lights.
I am going to test out the low range this AM.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

My connector was broke anyway, so I just wired to the exposed prongs :D

Will the t-case and whatnot fit without the body lift?

Nice job by the way.

410Fortune said:
I am now searching for the pigtail to connect wirres to my shift position sensor.
AS soon as I have that sucker I will connect the lights.
I am going to test out the low range this AM.

The plug I used was an ABS plug from another junk yard vehicle. I had to smooth the clip retainer fins from the side of the switch to make the plug fit. Just look around a junk yard for a plug that is similar, apparently they are used in more than one place on many vehicles, they just have different fins on them.

Congrats on the swap, Jamie. Glad to see you were able to make everything work out with the manual case, 21gal gas tank, and speedo drive.

You're f'in nuts bench pressing that case into your truck, on 33s!! I used a "jack adapter" kit ($15 @ Autozone) that converted a floor jack into a flat surface to aid in getting the case in, and I still had a second pair of hands to guide it in.

How many 4406 equipped V8s are we up to now??

I was in the mountains last night in a blizzard with heavy fog, the 4x4 is a huge improvement over the AWD, or more like I am used to with the BII anyway.
The t case performed perfectly in high range at highway speeds, I am loving this truck! the Explorer is much heavier and longer then my BII so it is far more stable in the slippery stuff with 4x4.

The low range is low!! the explorer took everything I threw at it doing a bit of snowy off roading yesterday.

Thats great to hear!. I definatly love the low range too. Cant wait to get my hands on one of those stak 4x4 t-cases though.

So for the electric cases we have:
V8 Boatbuilder
PGDSM ( however the wiring for his wasnt in the truck)

As for the manual cases:
'97 V8
Mountaineergree
Boomin Explorer(sorry i forgot ya)
410Fortune
and to our newest addition Ammo Hooah

I picked up a 16 tooth speedo gear and installed my GPS finally.
I believe the brown speedo gear I used is a 7 tooth not 8 as I had counted.
The 18 tooth gear installed is not reading correctly, or I am driving really fast!
So re-running the calc with a 7 tooth gear = 16 tooth for 33's with 3.73 gears.
I have only found Ford drive gears in 7 and 9 tooth, no 8 so that gives me more evidence that I was wrong.
The gps will let me know how close I am next

The 4x4 lights will also get wired up, I believe I may have the wiring for the electric shift system (harness installed in truck that would run the shift motor if it was a 96 4.0L) so I may attempt to send the t case signals to the GEM through the factory shift module, acting as the relay to make the high range light go off when the low range light is activated, the gem would think the truck is a 4.0L and work the instrument lights as such.
Not sure if it is possible just yet....

[QUOTE='97 V8]
As for the manual cases:
'97 V8
Mountaineergree
410Fortune
and to our newest addition Ammo Hooah[/QUOTE]

Add me to the list, just dont have a shifter yet.

okay so I was a little off.
Using the GPS I determined that my speedo was showing 65 MPH when actual speed was 59.5 mph

So using this:

(current teeth x speed shown) / actual speed
we get
18x65= 1170
1170 / 59 = 19.8

So I installed a 20 tooth, now its pretty damn accurate.

I also wired up my 4wd and 4 low lights, just like described in the official 4406 conversion thread. After fighting this for a while I was able to determine that my donor position switch was faulty (always sending a ground down 1 wire) so I went to ford for a new one, $30.
The pigtail I used for the pressure switch on the new t case came off my 88 bronco II. Since my BII has a e-shift t case and I already hooked up the lights this wiring plug was not needed.

So basically the 4406 conversion is 100% complete and functional like factory thanks to the guidence I got from other pioneers on this forum.

no relay, my lights are 4WD for high range and LOW RANGE
so when they are both lit its fine with me.

The only thing left is to get some sort of disconnect up front so the driveshaft is not spinning full time. Possibly stock for me since this truck will remain IFS even if its without the torsion bars.
The brown wire at the rear of the t case is for what I can't remember but I am going to look it up, possibly some sort of N safety for the shift into low?

From what I understand some jeeps came with a vac diso front driveshaft. I was thinking about trying to adapt that to mine, but I dont know. It seems that the conversion to vac hubs would entail alot of work and parts like knuckles cv axles hubs, etc.

I was wondering what that wire was on top of the rear tailshaft too. I don't guess it matters, it works without it. :)

95 model explorers had a vacuum disco on the pass side of the IFS. It disconnects the passenger CV from the diff, so with only one wheel & hub spinning into an open diff the drveshaft will not rotate. This makes it a bolt in deal for us. When I regear I will likely add this sucker with vacuum switch & solenoid of my own to make it work.

All the BW eshift or manual shift t cases I have had have the brown wire. I am going to look it up. It energizes somethig inside the case or is for the NSS if memory serves

NSS is neautral safety circuit

The brown wire is circuit 779
Electric 4x4 shift module to electric clutch in t case, directly from the module to the t case.

Same wire for my 88 BII wiring book and 93 explorer book.
I am not sure if the 96 has a electric shift module or if it is done through the GEM or what
I will continue to dig, it powers some clutch inside the t case

Okay according to my 01 explorer wiring diagrams the shift module is located near the GEM and is controlled by the GEM it does have the 779 brown wire output to the t case. Power is switched to the 779 wire from the 4x4 fuse in the power dist box. So if the electric shift module does work in your truck (the signals to the GEM from the t case and possibly 4x4 button on dash will need to be hooked up in a truck like mine) then adding the fuse and hooking up the brown wire should work.

I will have to test it with a multimeter after I install the fuse, then if it works hook it up to the t case.
If not then trying to get the GEM to work with the manual shift t case and no dash switch is the next step.
completely fool the truck 100% or basically build a manual shift t case 5.0L truck like Ford should have.The question is when does the shift module send power to the t case internal clutch.
When in Neautral?
What does the internal clutch do?

I suspect its for shifting to low range when the truck is in N

I'm not sure why you'd want a N safet switch for low, I can't even shift into low if I put in N. I have to be completly in P and no tension on the t/c. I tried in N, but the tranny still turns the guts of the t/c and I get grindage! So P is my only option.

AMMO_HOOAH said:
I'm not sure why you'd want a N safet switch for low, I can't even shift into low if I put in N. I have to be completly in P and no tension on the t/c. I tried in N, but the tranny still turns the guts of the t/c and I get grindage! So P is my only option.

Same here. Hell i just shut her off.

I go from P to N real fast if P doesn't work on it's own. :p:

Back