A 4R55E was change to 5R55E during a transmission swap. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A 4R55E was change to 5R55E during a transmission swap.

TFrank386

Reaction score
City, State
Cookeville, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Callsign
TFrank386
I recently had my tranny swapped over from a 4r44e to a 5r55e and the individual installing it changed my wiring harness and now I only have like 3rd gear and so many other problems . Any advice on what I need to do to make it right

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put everything back to stock like original.

What years are the transmissions and what wiring was changed? It is in failsafe mode.

The 4R44E is out of a 95 ford explorer and the 5R55E is out of a 97 ford explorer. The PCM from the 97 was put in the 95 along with the transmission.

It may not matter, but you probably meant 4r55e, the 44 only came in Rangers.

"The 4R44E was used in lighter-duty applications, namely with 4-cylinder or 3.0 L V6 models of the Ford Ranger pickup.

The 4R55E was used in heavier-duty applications, specifically with the 4.0 L Cologne V6 used in vehicles like the said Ford Ranger or Ford Explorer."

Failsafe is when the transmission is in a self preservation mode due to not getting the proper input to function properly. Will have 3rd gear and reverse only. You need to determine what information is being corrupted. Will need to have it on a scanner with live feed and monitor what is being commanded or not commanded. More then likely will be a wiring issue. Is the OD light flashing?

You are corrrct, I only have 3rd gear and reverse and yes the OD light is flashing

I am currently on my way to get a new wiring harness for the 5r55e transmission and when it's properly installed I will let you know the outcome. Thank you for all of the advice that you have given me.

The flashing OD light is telling you that a transmission trouble code has been stored. Need to read the code to determine where to look for the problem.

I thought the internal harness between the 4r and 5r are the same for the valve body? If so then you definitely have a wiring issue outside of the transmission.

Hey since you guys are talking 5r55e can anyone tell me how I can get my torque converter to spin without turning the engine over( I have no battery).

Hey since you guys are talking 5r55e can anyone tell me how I can get my torque converter to spin without turning the engine over( I have no battery).
I manually spin the flywheel with a flatbar,first remove the starter to gain access to the flywheel then you can rotate the flywheel/ torque converter.

I manually spin the flywheel with a flatbar,first remove the starter to gain access to the flywheel then you can rotate the flywheel/ torque converter.
When I try that I get alot of resistance but thats probably because my driveshaft is still attached to the tranny. Im about to pop this last drive shaft bolt out and see if I can find something to spin that fly wheel with thanks TFfrank386 I hope this works.

Before I do this though shouldnt putting my tranny in gear and spinning my rear wheel while having the other one secured be spinning my TC/FW as well? Btw 2wd open diff

Can I read the codes with an OBDII tester?
You can try. Code readers can send you on the wrong road with transmission problems. Need a scan tool with OEM compatible software to get a proper diagnosis. Internal wiring harness is the same in 4 speeds and 5 speed E models.

Can anyone tell me what solenoid set is used in the valve body of a 5r55e transmission

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back