1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4r55e 2nd to 1st kickdown not working

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by Adams95, July 10, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Adams95

Adams95 New Member

City, State:
    Henderson, NV
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '95 Explorer Sport
    Hey guys I have recently became the proud owner of a '95 explorer, 4.0 OHV 215,000 miles, 4r55e with a little less than 100k miles on the rebuild. If you've seen me in the 95-01 stock forum you'll know I've done a lot of work recently to the truck...the only parts you guys need to know this...TPS was replaced a week or so ago, as of 2 days ago I went to service the trans and found the dreaded Strawberry Milkshake in the trans pan. I immediately changed the radiator, flushed trans and engine, and all appears to be fine...

The trans is now shifting smoother then ever, as well as a VERY happy engine. However one issue that was around before I changed the radiator was this:
    No matter how far you press the throttle the trans will not kickdown from 2nd gear to 1st, this can't be right? It also seems I have to press the throttle about 3/4 of the way down to kickdown from OD to 4th on the freeway, not sure if this is correct or not.

I've only owned the truck for a month, been driving it daily for about 2 weeks (fuel pump issue), the previous owner is a good friend of mine, and I know the history of the truck very well. I suspect the Strawberry Milkshake issue could've been happening for 4 months or so.

Do you think its possible I need to adjust the TPS? I don't believe any permanent damage was done to the trans with the atf/coolant mix that happend, but I guess it's always a possibility...
    What do you guys think?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.