4R55E - 3rd gear ratio error. HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R55E - 3rd gear ratio error. HELP!!

Antman0711

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Hey ya'll, I have a 95 Explorer XLT and just last night my tranny seemed like it wasn't going into 3rd and the O/D light was all of the sudden flashing so I took it to my tranny guy today and had the codes read. I don't remember the code exactly but it was for a 3rd gear ratio error. Is does skip 3rd and go into 4th gear I found out. I had my tranny fixed before when it read a 2nd gear ratio error and that was back in the beginning of October.

I know, I know what everyone is going to say, I should have had the whole thing rebuilt blah blah blah, well I don't have 1600+ to just pull out of my butt ya know. Plus the mechanic is a friend of the families and has specialized in tranny repairs, rebuilds, etc. since before I was even born and I'm 24 years old and any other tranny we've had repaired has had to no problems since. Also everyone I talk to say he is the guy to do this without completely rebuilding, so he is very trust worthy and like I said in another thread, I would certainly not expect the same treatment from anyone else. Since this happened after fixing it once already he's going charge me hardly anything for the labor if I just want to buy the parts since I work at a parts store. I asked guys at work and they said we actually probably can't get a lot of the parts I need that I might have to get them through the dealer or a transmission parts supplier.

He said more than likely I will need the seals, seal rings, separator plates, and some other plates, basically everything to fix 3rd gear but he obviously wouldn't be sure until he gets into it.

What I am wondering is if there are any kits to buy to fix just 3rd or should I try to get a rebuild kit and pick out what I need or what? Good sites to buy from at good prices?? Any ideas and info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Back