Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

4R70W Mods/TSBs Before Install?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by RandomNerd2000, December 29, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. RandomNerd2000

RandomNerd2000 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South Carolina
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    00 5.0, 01 4.0.
    I picked up a transmission today out a 2000 5.0 Mountaineer AWD, and before I install it I'm curious if there's anything outside of a pan drop and filter change I need to do or check for? In think it's good to bolt in but I'd like to know for sure, it has 131K miles on it.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. SoHK_alumni

SoHK_alumni Active Member

City, State:
    Tampa, FL
    5.0 V8 2002 Ranger
    Certainly take the time to pop out the accumulator piston and check the bore and the springs.

Broken accumulator springs is a common failure in the 4R70W

4. nathan mayden

nathan mayden Member

City, State:
    springdale, ar
    1999 ford explorer sport
    I would put a shift kit in and definitely check servo bores and definitely get another torque converter.

5. RandomNerd2000

City, State:
    South Carolina
    00 5.0, 01 4.0.
    As far as I know that was fixed in 98 almost in it's entirety, my 99 is the only post 98 4R70W out of an army of them I've ever seen with a hard shift from 1-2, and it looks like it's been worked on somewhat so I'm curious if that was a mistake caused issue.

Converter is accounted for, it's an easy fix while the trans is out. I'll be checking the bores though, as well as any other checks I get told to.

6. Dono

Dono 347 V8 Limited turbo Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    00 Limited V8
    My 00 4r70w broke its 1-2 accumulator spring. I don't think its exactly common either, but does happen. I'm not sure if they break from fatigue, or if its test a weak spring.

My 'update' while the pan was off was to replace the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators along with a lentech valve body.

If I were you, just do the fluid and filter change. inspect the bottom of the pan while its out. if theres all kinds of material in the bottom of the pan, you will have that sinking feeling in your gut as you will know what's next.

7. RandomNerd2000

City, State:
    South Carolina
    00 5.0, 01 4.0.
    Well I stuck my finger in the fluid through the dipstick hole and it came out to not smell burnt or really have any alarming thing about it at all, it was actually really encouraging, it seemed to be rather new fluid, not brand new fluid though but not black or burnt smelling either, it smelled new to be honest though. You're the only person I've ever heard of having a later model 4R70W break the spring from 1-2 outside of myself, assuming that's my 2WD's hard 1st-2nd.

8. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Va
    00 4x4 Mounty
    I had an 01 f150 with the 4r70 and it broke the 1-2 spring into about 5 peices before I tore it apart to fix it. I also broke my 2-3 spring in my 00 mountaineer (while spraying a 100 shot)

• Like Like x 1
  9. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    With a trans out, I'd replace all of the shift solenoids, accumulators, and springs that are easily bought, and do the little VB things that Sonnax has for most automatics. Those are just basic things any used trans needs, at any mileage. The VB kits are deeper subjects, do those as you want to or need. The pan gasket will last forever, take care of it. A deeper pan is wise for a keeper vehicle, or high stress use like towing etc.

• Like Like x 1