4R70W Rebuild !Please help!

custm-1

Reaction score
City, State
Sunny Florida!
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 5.0L
Please help!
I started rebuilding a 4R70W transmission out of 1996 Ford Explorer V8.
After I fully assembled the transmission I found this snap ring laying where the parts that were that I took out. (See picture attached).
As you can see from the picture it's a fairly large snap ring about 7” OD open and about 6.25” OD when compressed together. It looks like it would be an inside snap ring due to the shape of the end but I am not sure.
I took the transmission back apart to try to figure out where this snap ring went.
All three clutch pack snap rings are in place as well as the snap ring that holds the ring gear in the case. Plus it looks like it’s too large to fit into any of those anyways. It’s also not the center report retaining ring with the tabs that one is also in place. I had it lying near the pump body and the intermediate clutch in the parts that I took out. Does this somehow fit in near the pump or near the intermediate clutch on the case? I'm sure this came out of the transmission somewhere but I can’t for the life of me figure out where it goes. Due to its large size it looks like it would fit in the case somewhere.
Does anyone know where this snap ring might go?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only other snap ring that large goes right under reverse band

Only other snap ring that large goes right under reverse band

Thanks swetrid.
Is the snap ring supposed to go in front of the reverse band or in back of it? I.E. closer to the front of the transmission or closer to the rear?
Thanks.

It sits right under the band, and unfortunately is all the way at the bottom of the trans.

It sits right under the band, and unfortunately is all the way at the bottom of the trans.

Thanks for the reply!

Yup, I think that was it, at leats I hope so. I'm surprised there wasn't a groove for it to sit in instead of a little tiny ledge that doesn't even go all the way around. Kind of sloppy, if you ask me.

Back