1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4R70W Rebuild !Please help!

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by custm-1, June 19, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. custm-1

custm-1 New Member

City, State:
    Sunny Florida!
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1996 Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Please help!
    I started rebuilding a 4R70W transmission out of 1996 Ford Explorer V8.
    After I fully assembled the transmission I found this snap ring laying where the parts that were that I took out. (See picture attached).
    As you can see from the picture it's a fairly large snap ring about 7” OD open and about 6.25” OD when compressed together. It looks like it would be an inside snap ring due to the shape of the end but I am not sure.
    I took the transmission back apart to try to figure out where this snap ring went.
    All three clutch pack snap rings are in place as well as the snap ring that holds the ring gear in the case. Plus it looks like it’s too large to fit into any of those anyways. It’s also not the center report retaining ring with the tabs that one is also in place. I had it lying near the pump body and the intermediate clutch in the parts that I took out. Does this somehow fit in near the pump or near the intermediate clutch on the case? I'm sure this came out of the transmission somewhere but I can’t for the life of me figure out where it goes. Due to its large size it looks like it would fit in the case somewhere.
    Does anyone know where this snap ring might go?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: June 19, 2011
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Reading Pa
    1999 Eddie Bauer
    Only other snap ring that large goes right under reverse band

4. custm-1

custm-1 New Member

City, State:
    Sunny Florida!
    1996 Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Thanks swetrid.
    Is the snap ring supposed to go in front of the reverse band or in back of it? I.E. closer to the front of the transmission or closer to the rear?
    Thanks.

5. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Reading Pa
    1999 Eddie Bauer
    It sits right under the band, and unfortunately is all the way at the bottom of the trans.

6. custm-1

custm-1 New Member

City, State:
    Sunny Florida!
    1996 Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Thanks for the reply!

Yup, I think that was it, at leats I hope so. I'm surprised there wasn't a groove for it to sit in instead of a little tiny ledge that doesn't even go all the way around. Kind of sloppy, if you ask me.