Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4r70w swap. New issues

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Nate Tidwell, January 31, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Nate Tidwell

Nate Tidwell New Member

City, State:
      St. Augustine, FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1996 Explorer XLT
      Hi, I lurk a lot and usually find my answers. Not this time. I have a 1996 Explorer xlt 5.0 2wd. I recently swapped my transmission. The donor transmission was from a wrecked 2001 f150 4.2l 2wd.
      I swapped over the mlps, and both speed sensors. It gets better mpg, runs and drives better than it used to, but has some new issues. The speedometer reads inaccurately (not a set amount like 5mph, maybe a percentage as the difference varies with speed), it tends to be slow shifting, and now codes are showing BOTH FRONT wheel abs sensors according to the guy at advance auto parts (I really need to buy a code reader). Oh and it will start in park, but not in neutral anymore.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. fastpakr

fastpakr Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Roanoke, VA
      99 3.0 4wd Ext Auto
      The Park/neutral issue sounds like a misaligned transmission range sensor. As I recall there are youtube videos with a clear explanation of the process. The short version is that there is an inner and outer ring on the sensor that each have marked lines. The adjustment is simply loosening the attachment bolts and realigning those carefully.

4. Dono

Dono 347 V8 Limited turbo Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      I'm guessing, but the codes pertaining to the front abs sensors are probably because the speedo gear in the trans is for the wrong rear end ratio. Can you swap gears between your old and new trans? Keeping in mind that I have never done this, but read about it. My speedo is via a rear diff sensor (What I'm saying is that I might be talking out of my poo hole).

5. Nate Tidwell

Nate Tidwell New Member

City, State:
      St. Augustine, FL
      1996 Explorer XLT
      The gear on the sensor was swapped from my original transmission. I figured that it would be all related to the speedo.

6. Nate Tidwell

Nate Tidwell New Member

City, State:
      St. Augustine, FL
      1996 Explorer XLT
      Update: took my old job back, haven't had time to even get dirty. 90 hours in the last 7 days. I haven't had a chance to check the sensor alignment yet, it's probably off, as I didn't notice the marks. I'm off tomorrow, BUT I only see my son once a month.... Btw, other than those minor issues, 16mpg averaging 84mph, maxed out (according to GPS, speedo went all the way) at 114, was toying with a newer v6 Tacoma on the highway (he kept trying until the I75 exit, explorer way faster btw)

7. Nate Tidwell

Nate Tidwell New Member

City, State:
      St. Augustine, FL
      1996 Explorer XLT
      Could the output shaft speedometer tooth count be different?
      Recap:
      My vehicle: 1996 Ex 5.0, 2wd axle code D4 (limited 3.73)
      Donor: 2001 F150 4.2L, 2wd, hole was plugged on tailshaft from factory.

8. Dono

Dono 347 V8 Limited turbo Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      rear axle ratio different between the tow vehicles? id guess you need a different speedo gear, but who knows which one.

9. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      Did you swap both the geared sensor and the speedo ring gear that goes on the output shaft over from the 96 trans? Did you repin or cut and splice the white valve body connector to match correctly?

The not starting in neutral is probably the MLS. It's hard to remove them from a 30 year old trans without breaking them sometimes.

10. Nate Tidwell

Nate Tidwell New Member

City, State:
      St. Augustine, FL
      1996 Explorer XLT
      They were all swapped as wiring connectors were different. I made a plug and play harness adapter for the valve body connector. Pulled from a junkyard donor, re pinned, soldered, hear shrines, silicone.