4th Gen Auto 5R55 to Manual M5OD - progress (not a How-to) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen Auto 5R55 to Manual M5OD - progress (not a How-to)

Ok. Progress update.

Since I had to trick the pcm to think it's in neutral... I couldn't trick it to think it's in reverse (same dtr switch controls the signal of the gear). So I followed a blog on here about the "reverse light override mod". I kinda wanted to do this anyways... so I decided to do it but put 2 switches instead of 1. The second switch is wired directly to the "reverse switch" on the top of the M5OD Manual Transmission (red plug). Let there be light while in reverse gear... AND whenever I want to throw some extra light with a dash switch :)

Here is the diagram. All I need to do is confirm which wire powers the rear lights.
ReverseLightsDiagram.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question about rear upper 5th door glass hatch button?

I haven't even tapped into the wiring on the rear brake lights yet... but I noticed the rear hatch "button" that unlocks/pops open the upper glass hatch on the 5th door doesn't work ??? Does anyone know if the truck needs to be in park or something for this hatch to work? I'll check my fuses before I get too carried away....

My guess is yes the vehicle needs to be in park for the hatch to open that would make sence since you would t want to be doing 70 and the rear glass swing open because your knee hit the button

Tom

You also will have a problem getting the key out of ignition of truck is not in park unless you bypassed the switch for the ignition lock!

Tom

Ps thanks for the shout out for that part.

Thanks Tom. Turns out the park switch was a second separate switch built into the stock floor shifter. I already extended that over to the ignition so there is now a "key release button" similar to other vehicles. I saw that one coming cause I took much care in inspecting that floor shifter for additional sensors wheñ dissassembling... :)

Ok good just one comment on the drawing is the 30amp a constant battery positive or is it a switched positive off ignition switch cause if you park the truck and put it into reverse you will drain the battery cause it will turn on reverse lights make sure you find one with the ignition switch turned on when it has power? But looking good getting close to the end!

Tom

Good point. Might pull power off of an unused auxiliary fuse as that is a bether solution.... might be worth running two wires so the bypass works without the ignition (direct to battery). Heck... I won't even need a relay for that... just two parallel wires. Cheaper and more functional!

Two heads ARE better than 1. ;)

Yup two heads are better than one sometimes it makes sence to walk away and come back to it because you end up figuring it out by taking a break plus like you said!

Tom

SCT Advantage III is what I'm using. Try using the "Find Item" function at the top of the display by typing in "Trans Auto Switch".

Hi Street Rod

Did some manual swap Advantage III editing. Your tip is exactly what I needed... Once I got started... it is quite addicting. ( in short...I ended up deleting my EGR, changing tire size, and did some other tweaks as well. LOVE THE CONTROL).

Anyways... here's the noob question. So I'm all done with my tuning tweaks for now... and I've got an ".mtf" file (editable flash file for SCT). I want to convert to ".cef" so my x4 can upload it. Any tips? Only option on my pull-down other than save or save as (.mtf) is "export custom file for bulley dog gt"?? shouldnt there be other options to export to .cef?

ps. for those who want to know... I'm pretty sure my truck was dying at quick stops due to my "coasting fuel shut off" was set lower than ideal for a manual (probably only okay for auto). My truck was in "coast mode" (where it shuts off injectors when coasting down hills ect to save fuel) and didn't have enough time to turn the injectors back on in time before dying when I quickly pressed the brake and clutch at a stop. I tweaked the rpm setting there and also on the idle and am eager to try it out.

...after much googling.... export functionality I'm looking for is under a well hidden icon only available in the top panel entitled "program device".

Thanks for reading though.

I'm glad you figured it out. You were too fast for me to respond. Did your strategy have the same calibration constants I mentioned?

It sure did! THANKS!!

I was a bit confused because mine had the same prompt as yours under the "Trans Auto Switch" saying that I need to change the "trans_load_switch" and "trans_type" to zero. But when searching for them... there was only "trans load switch" and when I clicked on it ... it's description said "trans load switch AND trans type" (but only entitled trans load switch). I was a bit confused when I first couldn't find the other one... but I'm assuming I'm good with that set to zero. :)

Dang.. I love Advantage III. Will probably pick you brain more once I supercharge it. Planning to do it over christmas if all goes well. Afterall... there some pretty good sales right now with Black Friday. Moddbox coupon code "blackfriday" there's 10% off :)

... got the tcase in the shop now. Just working through the diagrams and seeing if it's gonna work. It's nice to physically have it to confirm colours etc.

The electronic function of it will work perfect it's just if it will bolt up to your transmission or not? It's the same transfer case as the one you had the difference between this one is that in 1997 it had the front and rear sensors for slip cause it didn't use abs for 4wd function and it had the hole for the speed sensor in 1998 they did away with the speed sensor and used the abs for speed they kept the 2 sensors though for slip detection on front and rear wheels and then they did away with the sensors for the 4th gen explorer because the advance trac uses the abs speed to determine if the vehicle needs 4x4 and to apply the brake to a givin side since all 4th gen explorers are open diffs. You will be fine I'm worried about the bolt pattern if it will bolt up to it let me know how it goes can't wait to see the results

Tom

Many thanks Tom.

See below picture for wiring guide for the 1999-01 Explorer AWD tcase installation!!! 06 explorer 4x4 module on the left... 99-01 tcase plug wiring on the right. - (this didn't end up working in later tests...)

20151124_204451.jpg

The T-case dimensions look the same as mine at first glance (the ranger one that is currently installed). Here is the solution. I colour coated them for simplicity. Gonna finish this up one of these evenings or Saturday Morning. Got my new cup holders in the mail too!!

... time to eat sushi and kick back. That's me in the photo above clinking my beer to Tom.

I don't think color coded helped lol but I do know you need only 8 wires 2 for the motor 1 for the clutch and 5 for the sensor now on the 97 you will notice 1-5 and on 06 1-4 with sens return one of the 1-5 from the 97 is the sens return it's either the 1 or 5 looking at both diagrams that will be the guessing game but the rest is straight foward the green sens return you highlighted green and crossed out and un crossed out is for the speed sensor return do not use that.

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...quick update. Had some christmas parties and lots of work to do so I got a bit side tracked. I'm also off to Mexico Wed so I had to tear into it tonight before I go :)

Got the Ranger tcase out. Here are some pics to compare. The Explorer transfer case is about 1/4" longer in total... should be able to be taken up by the travel in my rear shaft. if not... will need to pay again for a 1/4" shortening. Only other problem is that the rear output flange for the axle shaft is a different size. It appears it is removable so I will swap the two output flanges if possible. I will have a look at the tcase rebuild blog on this forum... I remember seeing one stripped down and that should tell me if I can swap the rear flanges :) Here's some pics.

Output flanges (01 AWD Ex - Top of Photo, 02-11 Ranger - Bottom of Photo):
20151206_225704-1000.jpg

Mating flange to Transmission (01 AWD Ex - Bottom of Photo, 02-11 Ranger - Top of Photo):
20151206_225624-1000.jpg

Plan view of both tcases (01 AWD Ex - Right of Photo, 02-11 Ranger - Leftof Photo):
20151206_225636-1000.jpg

Back