4th Gen Auto 5R55 to Manual M5OD - progress (not a How-to) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen Auto 5R55 to Manual M5OD - progress (not a How-to)

I think your right but yes I know you wired it for neutral however looking at the trans diagram there are 4 other wires which relate to 1,2,3,r,d,p as well just by resistance looking at the tr3a violet white wire when in drive it gets an ohm resistance of 270 to start the other end of that is a junction to the 3 sensors in the transmission so the computer sees the changing valise through the range switch! Judging from how I see the diagrams.

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Tom. Got that one figured :) This was one of the things I had to do to get the 4x4 module to operate the shift motor. This worked and here is the diagram (a very bad one I must say... but works). LOL.

20160120_090101-1200.jpg

Turns out the wiring colours of the most recently posted pin diagrams wer quite different to mine. I went into panic and re-wired my tcase. ... it didn't work (may be correct for 2008). Anyway... I put it back and then determined all I needed to do was ground the last black wire (violet/orange from 06 cluster... note this is the 9th wire that is NOT shown on ANY wiring diagrams).

I went and picked up a 2007 transfer case (was identical to my 06) and SURE ENOUGH... IT HAD THE EXTRA BLACK WIRE. That's the one in my previous photos I had no diagrams for. My photos (before I sold it) also did not show where it went. .. turns out... IT WAS JUST A GROUND WIRE!! hahah. Everything on the 4x4 works awesome now!!!

... you probably won't believe me when I tell you... but as soon as I pulled out of my garage with WORKING 4X4 I immediately felt the tires chirping (confirmation). I proceeded to turn up my driveway only to hit a patch of ice (like skating rink quality ice) only 25 ft out of my garage.... I proceeded to slide (abs humming... confirming proper operation of that too) and I slammed into my new row of cedars! S**t. (I was seriously sliding at the same rate of walking speed.... it probably could have jumped out and ran ahead of the truck and tried push it ... thats how slow it was sliding...lol.)

Anyway... here is the CORRECT and WORKING diagram for the 4x4 operations. PLEASE NOTE! IF ANYONE PLANS TO FOLLOW THIS... WIRE IN A "NORMALLY CLOSED SWITCH" ON ANY OF THE 3 WIRES IN THE ABOVE DIAGRAM (DTR SWITCH WIRES) TO DISABLE THE 4X4 SHIFT MOTOR... THIS WAY YOU WILL NOT ACCIDENTALLY HIT THE BUTTON WHILE DRIVING AN BLOW UP YOUR TCASE"

20160120_090209-1200.jpg

To show what I mean... here are some pics of the black wire and the location of the pin in the tcase plug.

Location of wire in tcase:
20160119_082242-1200.jpg

Showing the black wire simply bolted to the tcase body:
20160119_082319-1200.jpg

OK... so the LAST and FINAL thing to figure out is my speedo. Still no speedometer.

I was thinking since I never messed with the ABS.. I was baffled by why that would not work... so I was immediately thinking auto transmission output speed sensors. BUT... that may be wrong (even though other older explorers AND late model rangers have the speedos in the trans and tcases!).

So... I was thinking about WHAT exactly I messed with. When thinking about it more closely... I did the following things that could affect the ABS/speedo signal (maybe):
-(1) I removed the brake boost assembly to access/service the new clutch/master cylinder
-(2) I totally removed the ENTIRE brake pedal assembly, wiring, etc. I even manually fabricated a new foot pedal assembly and moved all the brake pedal depth/pressure sensors to the new assembly. There are 2 sensors and 1 other random plug. It could be that other "random plug" that doesn't seem to go anywhere.
-(3) I dis-connected all the speed sensors in the transmission (3 in total... input, output, and a mid)
-(4) When I removed the floor shifter and radio plate cover... I had to disconnect all the A/C operation plugs, floor shifter sensors, a weird floor mounted switch (that had an arrow facing the front and was bolted to the floor... I think it is a yaw sensor or maybe an Airbag impact sensor), etc. Please note that the "traction control" light seems to be on now (could be from 2wd spinning though due to inoperable 4x4 at the time and requires a cpu reset)... but the yaw sensor could have messed something up relating to the abs (if it is indeed a yaw sensor). ALSO... I read something about the navigation controls (mine doesnt have that thank God) require the speed signal from the PCM... if so... there may be speed signal cables running near the radio/AC controls that I "messed with".

After checking codes again.... Turns out... I have ONLY ONE code on my system that does not relate to the trans/tcase. it is C1805. This relates to the traction control and the ABS system (and maybe my speedo!). See below for my current list:

ps. those network ones are bogus. I use a torque app and these show up on lots of cars that have no codes when scanned with my SCT (did not show up with my SCT on here either)

20160120_090255-1200.jpg

...where to start. I think I'm gonna start by figuring out what that extra plug is hanging next to my brake pedal!!!

OK... WHAAAAAAT IS THIS!!! (found it in my build photos.... see pg 1 this blog)

I did not see this lil' grey thingy till now. LOL. I did not transfer it to my new brake pedal assembly.... the wire "dangling" near my pedal assembly definitely goes here. I'm thinking it is just a "close circuit" so the system knows that the assembly is physically there. But it could have a resistance... I'm gonna jump it with a paper clip and see what happens (the dangling wire that is... I plan to just paper clip the two wires together using the plug connector). If nothign happens... I plan to go to the yard and find a vehicle with this and check the resistance across the grey thingy. See pic below:

20151025_140216-1200-e1446496824195.jpg

I like how you said the network ones are bogus my 08 has zero codes in it now your right if they come up and clear right away and don't come back for 10 months yes nothing wrong but if you clear the network code and it comes right back on after you clear it then there is a fault present!

Glad you got 4x4 working sometimes the silliest things are what's wrong lol! And as far as the speedo have you looked into the transmission diagrams I posted because the range sensor is part of the 3 transmission sensors I know you said it's hard wired for neutral but that is only 2 wires there are 4 others that influence neutral for other things like the turbine sensor etc very confusing on the range sensor but for neutral there is a resistor in line prob to tell the computer that truck is in neural but still can read sensors because one sensor in trans is always spinning even though the others may not!

Tom

Your violet white wire connects 2 the 3 trans sensors which go to pcm so even though you added a resistor did you splice in the 3 wires for the sensors and there resistance?

Tom

Here is what I would do I would wire the turbine speed sensor for an idle speed resistance and connect the output shaft speed sensor to something in your manual if it has one? The other sensor doesn't move when in neutral and I proved it shows speed in neutral!

Tom

Also C1805 is abs pcm mismatch code which also could make the pcm not see speed! So something is not correct!

Tom

On the abs module did you alter any configurations? If so I would revert back to stock and also same with pcm did you connect all the sensors for the brake system like brake buster sensor etc?

Tom

Running a stock tune now. Everything is "out of the box ford" regarding the programming.

Here are the auto transmission diagrams (from wilson's diagrams) for the 2006. I made some notes as to what I have already done... and what I plan to try. The second picture is "what I'm gonna try"... I want to wire ALL the speed sensors to the manual transmission's VSS.

Unfortunately... I think the ranger VSS has 12 "pulses or holes" while the explorer reads from 24. Either way... if I read half speed I am on the right track (just a programming thing from there I guess).

(note: as soon as I wired the below diagram... my 4x4 shift motor came alive :) )
autotrans_Page_1-1000.jpg

(below is "what I'm gonna try"... any suggestions here? :dunno: )
EDIT: THE WIRE COMING OUT OF THE NEW RANGER SPEED SENSOR (VSS) SHOULD BE DRAWN OFF OF THE OTHER PIN
autotrans_Page_2-1000.jpg

(I had to do the following to get my key out and start... I will still rewire the rear hatch and reverse lights when I got my speedo back)
parkswitch-1000.jpg

IDEA!!!

...disclaimer... could be WAY off and only starting a new rabbit trail. take this idea as a grain of salt...

Before my last "test drive"... I NEVER HAD A TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT ON. The only other thing I changed (other than grounding the 4x4 clutch return (RTN) wire... was that I connected my Ranger VSS to ONE of the 3 speed sensors (shown in the Auto trans diagram).

Since my auto is now gone... I have no idea which of the 3 sensors I wired... but my guess... is THAT IS WHY I HAVE A C1805 MISMATCH code?? Maybe because the sensor is telling something contrary to the ABS speed signal. This might be why I still have no speedo.

...gonna wire all three together (hopefully i get lucky with the polarity and/or the wire colours are the same)....

Nope looks like your on the path to my last suggestion only thing I notice is the pcm takes a ground and a positive cause the sensor generates power my assumption is the power signal going in is 4,3,16 pin on the pcm the splice is a common ground and those are ground signals on the opposite side seeing resistance my guess is the speed will either be half right like you said or 1/4th right because of the 2 sensors being read as 1 now but either way I don't think it's speed is calculated here I think the ecm only gets the speed once it sees that there is input and output reading!

Tom

Yes could be because it's not seeing the sensors so you need to make them there etc I would do all 3 and see if you get something if something happens then it's just a matter of getting the right voltage signal etc

Yes could be because it's not seeing the sensors so you need to make them there etc I would do all 3 and see if you get something if something happens then it's just a matter of getting the right voltage signal etc

Should I do them 1 at a time? Or all three together as proposed above? I've done the first two so far... no dice.

OK. So that is what I did. No change. I also reversed polarity across the speed sensor since I don't know which colours on the ranger sensor at +/-. Both ways no change.

I also jumped the switch on my clutch (that grey plug thing) and it doesn't seem to have any function either way.

My SCT only reads the P07*** codes. No abs code or U-network codes. So... only 4 auto trans related codes.

Any suggestions bloggers? Only thing left is speedo.

.... one idea... noticed a foil grounding wrap inside the wiring going to the ranger vss sensor (2 wire sensor with grounding wrap). The 01 tcase sensors have 3 wires (guessing one is ground.... green/black/grey?) Anyways... do I need to ground the vss sensor using the wrap? Or is this to ensure no interference only?...

... so far I have wired the new ranger vss sensor to the wires from 2 of 3 the old at wire sets (from the shaft sensors in the old AT). AND... I tried wiring all 3 together to the new ranger vss. I'm gonna try just the 3rd one now but not expecting anything ....

Any chance I can just send the signal from this sensor directly into the pcm? No idea where to go next.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The problem is there is no direct signal to the ecm for speed it uses the abs module and for some reason it's not communicating speed my assumption is even though the car is in neutral the ecm doesn't think so because of something we are missing.

Tom

Back