Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4th Gen HID Projector Retrofit and HID Fogs Build Thread

Discussion in 'Performance Lighting' started by MustangP51, September 15, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. KPPCExplorer

KPPCExplorer Active Member

City, State:
    Kings Park, New York
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 XLT V6
    Is the alignment spacer made to fit all types of bulb sockets? I ask because I have an 02 Explorer and we have a 9006 bulb, which I believe is different from the 4th gens. The biggest question I have had is out of the box would I have all parts needed to properly align this in a 02 Explorer headlight assembly? Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. MustangP51

MustangP51 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Connecticut
    2009 Limited V8
    No they do not fit all bulb sockets. There was not one that worked with the 4th gens 9008 socket, i do believe there is a spacer that will work for the 9006, but I don't think it will align the projector.

4. MustangP51

City, State:
    Connecticut
    2009 Limited V8
    Here is the wiring diagram of how to install the load resistors to eliminate the bulb out message in the message center.

[​IMG]

Mount them on metal and don't let anything touch them... they get HOT!

5. MustangP51

City, State:
    Connecticut
    2009 Limited V8
    Well turns out that what I did earlier to try to fix the problem with the shutter only helped for a short time. I determined it had to be a weak solenoid, so I emailed the retrofit source and they sent me the wrong part, a cutoff shield for the older 4.1 projectors. I got in touch with the retrofit source again, to have them resolve the problem, but they once again sent me the wrong cutoff shield. Rater than wait another week for another replacement I took disassembled the 3 cutoffs I now had to make 1 good assembly. The Retrofit Has fast customer support, but I question their competence especially when they say their products are "cherry picked".

[​IMG]

6. MustangP51

City, State:
    Connecticut
    2009 Limited V8
    My Advice to you all...

Avoid Morimoto Minis at all cost... They are cheap and have good light output, but the shutter design is sub par. I am having problems with the high beam shutter not opening completely and not returning to their low beam position. I have had these thing apart numerous times, had several replacement parts sent from the retrofit source and still have intermittent problems with them. The solenoid is not strong enough to reliably operate the shutter, and the spring to return the shutter to the low beam position is not strong enough either.

These are much easier to retrofit but they are not worth having with these issues.

Probably going to end up selling these headlights and start from scratch with OEM projectors...

7. 88racing

88racing Active Member

City, State:
    SF, SD
    2010 STA
    Are you going to go with FX-R's for the next one or something else?

8. MustangP51

City, State:
    Connecticut
    2009 Limited V8
    I'm in the vetting process between the FX-R and The TL projectors. Need to figure out which will mount better in the 4th gen housings.

9. FIND

FIND Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Vermillion, SD
    99 XLT V8 AWD
    I think mounting and size wise, there shouldn't be a difference between the two in a 4th gen housing. I'd go with the FX-Rs just for the better beam and output.

10. MustangP51

City, State:
    Connecticut
    2009 Limited V8
    I have heard the verdict go back and forth between which of these has better output and beam pattern. Some say the TL is better some the FX-R... Everyone has an opinion lol. I found a forum awhile back with all the beam patterns of the projectors, trying to find it again right now to see them side by side...

EDIT

Found

http://theeshadow.com/carmod/JVXdriver/beam_comparison.htm

11. FIND

FIND Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Vermillion, SD
    99 XLT V8 AWD
    Ah, I was gonna give you the threads from HIDplanet

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/sho...Output-Comparison-TL-E55-Murano-FX-IS-e46-LR3

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?43932-New-HID-Lowbeam-Comparison-Outdoor

Personally, I've just always liked the soft fill the FX-R gives you in the near field as opposed to the cut-off at the bottom of the TL. For the rest of the beam, in low beam, they are very close to the same for output. I guess thinking about it now, I'm not sure what kind of clearance you have around the back of the headlamp on your gen, so thinking about it, I guess I'm not sure how easy the TLs would be to mount. Those are darn big projectors.

Last edited: November 14, 2012
  12. diesel_s

diesel_s Active Member

City, State:
    Buford, Ga
    2008 ST Limited
    Nice write-up, I'm going to do a retrofit on my truck. My buddy Ruben who works for the retrofit source is going to knock it out for me along with some halo options. I like the look of the retrofit, good light output. I know most folks think HID's need projectors, but from my experience, proper installation and proper reaiming of the lights kills glare and other drivers won't flash at you. I work for Dynamic Sound, biggest seller of HID's in Ga, and have a 55 W bixenon Kitt in my headlights and a 55 watt kit in my fogs. No issue with other drivers, my other truck has the same kit and its been in there for 7 years now with no issues. I always wanted that retrofit look, never knew how it would look on an Ex, damn it looks good on yours, I want it bad now haha

13. Readyt

Readyt New Member

City, State:
    McKinney, TX
    2010 Sport Trac LTD
    Final pics and eventual resolution?

14. tgrubbe

tgrubbe New Member

City, State:
    Kansas City, MO
    1996 Eddie Bauer Explorer
    I love the look of those, these look like they were done professionally. I am planning on buying a 2008 explorer pretty soon and I will have to look into doing this.