1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4wd auto

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by Limited96, October 5, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Limited96

Limited96 Active Member

City, State:
      Grand Rapids, MI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      96 Limited
      hi.. i was driving in the rain the other day and noticed that i was sliding alot. i also noticed that my 4wd isnt 4wd high but 4wd auto. does this mean that it isnt always in 4wd until it needs to be? or does it mean soemthing different?'

i ask because it would be nice to be able to use it in situations like yesterday, when your loosing controll due to the conditions, especially on paved roads.

just curious.

thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Kelseyville, CA
      '13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
      That is exactly the type of conditions your 4x4 was designed for. You have 4x4 Auto on your '96. You can use it in the rain or snow. When your rear tires start to slip, your front tires will start pulling. It isn't a miracle cure all though so if you drive overly agressive, you can still over drive the system. You can actually use Auto in any conditions. Beginning with the '97 model year, Ford did away with the 2WD mode and made Auto the standard mode. On mine, my choices are 4x4 Auto, 4x4 High and 4x4 Low. Auto is perfectly suited for pavement. Expect to loose about 1-2 MPG when you are in Auto though.

4. TPLYNCH

TPLYNCH Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Brewster, NY
      1999 XLS
      Just a thought... If you were in 4-Auto and it was still slipping and sliding, I'd suggest getting better tires...