4wd / AWD off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JamieBam

Reaction score
City, State
Holiday Island Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer xlt 4wd
2012 Ford Explorer xlt 4wd 3.5L (non flexfuel, non eco)

So while driving hard on dirt roads or while inducing wheelspin in any of the terrain management modes the vehicle with thro a warning on the dash saying 4wd off and go into a fwd only mode. I have to turn off the vehicle about 10-15sec. Restart the vehicle and all is back to normal. It's very annoying and has made pulling my little boat trailer up the dirt ramp virtually impossible and prevents me from climbing any kind of steep dirt hill. This cant be normal. Anyone else seen this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awd off is usually caused by the ptu overheating. Not sure how many miles you have but if could be your fluid is toast if the PTU overheated so anytime you put strain on it, it is failing.

This will happen only during wheelspin. Engine warm engine cold. I'm pretty sure it's not an overheating factor

2012 Ford Explorer xlt 4wd with 3.5L non-ecoboost, non-flexfuel

Have been having a problem with the AWD system shutting off when all 4 wheels are overwhelmed by traction loss in grass snow or ice. This is an issue in all terrain management settings including normal. Normal is usually less likely to have this issue occur because the traction control is so quick to step in and retard throttle. But I made a video to better explain what's happening. This is a video of straight line acceleration on a grass field wet with dew.

Please follow the link and tell me if this is normal or acceptable...

Ford tells me it is.

Dropbox - 20190128_004940.mp4

Wheel sensor or most likely failing ptu based on mileage and age.

Dealership watched my video and says vehicle is behaving normally. I call BS. Rapid acceleration on poor surfaces most certainly isnt wise or advisable but shouldn't throw out an AWD system... the explorer has 97k and is a 2012 model. Dealership already reprogrammed the Traction Management system and some other modules. Now they are saying this is exactly how the system is expected to act.

There is no way you should lose traction like that period. I call total BS.

2012 Ford Explorer xlt 4wd with 3.5L non-ecoboost, non-flexfuel

Have been having a problem with the AWD system shutting off when all 4 wheels are overwhelmed by traction loss in grass snow or ice. This is an issue in all terrain management settings including normal. Normal is usually less likely to have this issue occur because the traction control is so quick to step in and retard throttle. But I made a video to better explain what's happening. This is a video of straight line acceleration on a grass field wet with dew.

Please follow the link and tell me if this is normal or acceptable...

Ford tells me it is.

Dropbox - 20190128_004940.mp4
Your new thread was merged with the previous thread you had started. No need to begin a new one on the same issue.

Peter

According to your Owner's Manual;

4WD Off
Displayed when the AWD system has been
automatically disabled to protect itself. This is
caused by operating the vehicle with the
compact spare tire installed or if the system is
overheating. The AWD system will resume
normal function and clear this message after
driving a short distance with the road tire
re-installed or after the system is allowed to
cool.

Have you driven it some distance after the warning came ON to see if it will shut OFF as per the above? My guess is possible PTU overheating as blwnsmoke has mentioned previously.

Peter

It typically stays on until I shut off the vehicle and open the door. Then it's back to normal. I typically do this immediately after it occurs. If I continue driving with the AWD off warning it doesn't come back to life on it's own. My work commute is roughly 25miles of rural traffic free highway

I got that same warning, the PTU was toast. Several people have advised you that the PTU might be the problem, listen to them, get the PTU fluid checked. We are not talking about overheating as in the coolant, water pump or radiator, the PTU is a simple gearbox with very little fluid in it, so unless it has been serviced it can overheat, when that happens the AWD Off alert shows on the dash.
Again, have the PTU inspected and change the old fluid, it sure can't hurt.

I would agree. Check the ptu fluid. Maybe pile of ground up gears or a gear/bearing walked out of position. Seems like you would notice this though also. Could also be the clutches in the rdu are not working. They turn on and off to engage the ptu driven driveshaft.

My guess is the computer expected the back wheels to spin when you gassed it. They did not so it knew something is wrong and disabled the system(clutches in rdu).

Just to reinforce what everyone is saying...I looked it up. Your PTU holds .53L or .56 quarts of fluid. No that is not a typo. Given the high mileage if that PTU hasn't ever been serviced your fluid probably is burnt up and non-existent. There also is no cooling system for your PTU.

If you are lucky the gears won't be destroyed and you can just do some drain/fill cycles (you probably have to suck out the old stuff) that will eventually get the crud out of it.

So update... explorer is under warranty and went to a different Ford dealership after the first dealer told me the vehicle was behaving as it should. New service dept agreed immediately that the vehicle is NOT behaving normally however has reset the Traction control/anti-roll stability system and inspected the PTU which was in fine shape, not leaking, damaged and full of fluid. They say my tires are worn... they are all proper size and wearing mostly even but are in the last of their lifespan. Service dept. is scratching their heads at the issue but wants to rule out tire as the issue. I trust this isnt just a ploy to get money out of me because they suggested I shop for tire deals away from Ford dealership and bring them in for mounting and balancing.

If the tires are all the correct size I don't see them as being the reason for the problem. Mine has 20" OEM tires and in Winter I use 18" wheels/tires without any issues. Have used different Winter sizes on my last 3 vehicles without problems. Also, it's strange they would send you away to buy tires when Ford had or used to have, a slogan that they won't be undersold on tires.

Peter

I live in a rural area with an old fashioned family dealership. they sell tires at fair prices but I need All Terrains and they only carry the original tires for the vehicle. Which are highway allseason tires. They say the tire wear may be just uneven enough to cause this. But they are honestly just grasping at straws here

When you gas it in a slippery surface has anyone confirmed the rear wheels are actually spinning? Visual confirmation.

If the tires are all the correct size I don't see them as being the reason for the problem. Mine has 20" OEM tires and in Winter I use 18" wheels/tires without any issues. Have used different Winter sizes on my last 3 vehicles without problems. Also, it's strange they would send you away to buy tires when Ford had or used to have, a slogan that they won't be undersold on tires.

Peter

The way it works is you have to buy them from the dealer, then if you find it cheaper, you have to bring in a copy of the price and FORD will price match. They will not price match prior to the sale. Pretty ridiculous but that's how it is done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The way it works is you have to buy them from the dealer, then if you find it cheaper, you have to bring in a copy of the price and FORD will price match. They will not price match prior to the sale. Pretty ridiculous but that's how it is done.
The only time I bought tires (BFG Winters) from the dealer, they were already less than a major tire dealer so I didn't have to go through the process. Thanks for the info.

Peter

Back