1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4wd transfer motor and Rear wiper

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Tristan, December 14, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Tristan

Tristan New Member

City, State:
      Lancaster, Pa
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      Navajo '93
      Hi everyone, I hope that some of you might have some experience that you might be willing to share with me.

I had my truck in the shop today to have my 4wd drive looked at (I knew it was a transfer motor and suggested this to them at the shop) and the vehicle inspected. The prices they quoted floored me. They wanted approximately $675.00 to replace the transfer motor(almost $80 to diagnose) and well over $300.00 to replace the rear wiper motor.

I'm not familiar with fixing the transfer motor, but it seems a bit on the high side and with the wiper motor, I definitely felt like I was getting scalped. Is there a good source online to obtain these parts and are they difficult for a do it yourselfer...I didn't have them do the work because I don't mind paying a fair price for work, but if I think I'm being taken advantage of then I just go elsewhere.

You're advice is well appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Brain

Brain Active Member

City, State:
      Golden, CO
      '92 4X EB and '91 4X XLT
      Transfer case shift motor ($237 new OEM, $157 new aftermarket):
      http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dpstore/noname27.html

5 bolts and an electrical connector on, 5 bolts and an electrical connector off....you are slacking if you take more than an hour to do this job.

Wiper motor - about $100 retail, $70 from a competitive automotive parts store, couple of hours TOPS....

4. MikesPrincess10

MikesPrincess10 New Member

City, State:
      Abingdon, Maryland
      '93 XLT
      Hey Tristan,
      I have the same problems with my 93' XLT,(obviously, we are not alone in this problem!!), try looking at the Thread "Stumped by a Transfer Case Engagement Problem - Please Help" (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14740).
      It is long but, very informative. Also, check the left wheel well (inside vehicle)to see if there is a black box to the right of the washer fluid resevior, I have learned, that is the control for the 4WD.
      Also, check out the FAQ section.

Glad to hear you didn't pay those prices! They are absolutely ridiculous! If worse comes to worse, go to a junk yard (that's what we did), and pick up a motor, most,not all,but most will gaurantee parts to work(if they are decent, ask friends if they know one they trust). We found one for $50 & my Husband combined pieces from both motors. Motor now works great (worth $50), but can't get switch in dash to engage, if it's not one thing, it's another right?? Ha-Ha.

Don't give up, we'll figure it out one of these days! Hope this helps!

GOOD LUCK! ;)

5. Tristan

Tristan New Member

City, State:
      Lancaster, Pa
      Navajo '93
      4wd transfer motor and wiper motor

Thank you for your replies. They gave me some good direction and validated my initial concerns with overcharging.

Thank you!