1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4X4 Buttons Wont work or engage 4WD

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MikeyG82, July 17, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. MikeyG82

MikeyG82 New Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    93 Explorer 4x4
    Hello My name is Michael, and I've just bought a 1993 Explorer 4X4.. More or less a father son project. Off roading has always intrigued me, but I have some concerning issues. The 4X4 buttons don't work. We've been reading and troubleshooting for the past 3 hours. All fuses and power are in shape. Just doesn't want to work, can someone please assist us in what can be done. No amber light, it will not engage 4WD

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. IAmTodd

IAmTodd 4x Explorer Veteran

City, State:
    Johnstown, PA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2001 Jeep Cherokee
    Most likely it's the shift motor. When it gets lost due to a broken bushing the system will just disable itself. There is a tutorial on here on how to rebuild it but I just opted to spend the $75 on a new one to ensure reliability.