4x4 control module | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 control module

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer sport
Has any one had to replace a 4x4 control module on there truck? If so what signs was your truck showing, my 01 explorer sport won't engage 4x4 and non of the lights lights up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before I looked at the 4x4 module, I would check the t-case shift motor. They go a lot more often than the module. It's easy to check. Remove the 3 bolts holding it on and remove the motor, cycle the switch and see if the motor key hole moves. If not, grab one from the u-pull it. Make sure you get one from a 98+, the plugs are different pre 98.

I got my 02 Sport for a steal partly because the 4x4 Control Module was bad. From what I read its a fairly common failure in these years. When the module is bad you will get exactly what you described, no 4x4, and no lights on the dash switch. Also, if the module was working correctly you would hear a click from the module just a second after flipping the switch to 4WD. The module is located in the passenger foot well. Make sure you buy a replacement module from a vendor that will cross reference the correct part with your vin# as there are several different models. Some vendors on ebay will do this, that is were I got my new replacement for about $150, some models cost a little more.

I'm getting my tires changed and while it was in the air, I tried spinning the front tire by hand and noticed that the front drive shaft spun with it, is 4x4 engaged?

I'm getting my tires changed and while it was in the air, I tried spinning the front tire by hand and noticed that the front drive shaft spun with it, is 4x4 engaged?

No, your truck has a live axle. The front wheels are always connected to the front drive train, that's normal.

Back