• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Conundrum

Gr8eyedea

Reaction score
City, State
Juneau, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Ranger
Mmm, so. I've got a problem and I was hoping other proud Ranger owners could help. I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0 4x4 with about 120k miles. Its been a g reat friend and has helped me some of this countries less traveled roads. In about a week I plan a trip from Juneau, AK to Phoenix, AZ. But I have a problem.
About 5 months ago I got the starter and waterpump replaced before I traveled the Alaska-Canada highway. Then about 2 months ago my battery died. I knew it couldn't be my starter, but I had it tested it anyway. It was fine. So I got a new battery, but the same problem kept happening. So I figured I had a short in my system. I dropped it off at a mechanic and it sat in his lot for a weekend. When I returned he said he couldnt find anything wrong with it. And since then I haven't had a single problem with the battery. Until two months later.... I heard a terrible clicking and clanking from my drive shaft. And the next morning, my battery is dead, on top of a terrible sound from my undercarriage. I've since taken it to a mechanic and he says my drive line is kaput. So I'm having it replaced.
But here is my question.
Could these problems be related? Could it be my 4x4 drive knob on the dash sucking power?
Any other ideas?

I don't think the driveline problems have anything to do with your cranking problems. Bad battery cables/terminals are a common problem and will mimic a bad battery/starter. Sometimes the cables can look fine on the outside, but be corroded to nothing under the insulation near the battery terminals. The acid migrates under the insulation and destroys the wiring.

Just something to check...

How long do you plan on being on the road on your trip to Phoenix? I live outside Phoenix and my wife and I have wanted to drive up to Alaska someday.

Yes, terminals. I've inspected the wires well enough to be certain there is no acid corrosion inside the cables. But it was a good idea.
Update: Picked up the truck today. Did some tinkering. It is definitely my front drive line. While in 4wd low or high the wheels will slip, because they are not catching. I'm slowly realizing that these are two different problems, one being electrical and the other being a bad front drive line.

Re: Trip
Juneau is only accessible by plane or ferry. So I will have to take a 3 day ferry trip through the Inside Passage down to Bellingham, WA, then it will probably be another 3 day drive to Phoenix. The original drive through the (AL-CAN) Highway took us 10 days in all. We left phoenix on April 26th, and finally got to Anchorage around May 6th-ish. It was amazing, I definitely suggest it to anyone who is anxious to see Alaska from other than a cruise ship deck (blah).

Your front hubs are probably not engaging. Check to see if you have the Pulse Vacuum Hub system. The Ranger front drive was change during the 2000 model year from the PVH system to a live axle that is engaged all the time.

In the PVH system, the vacuum seals go bad and the hubs will not engage correctly. There are several solutions to this. If that is your problem, do a search on it to decide which you want to do.

Back