4x4 dash and switch lights stays on but 4x4 doesn't work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 dash and switch lights stays on but 4x4 doesn't work

hmrmailbox

Reaction score
City, State
West Jordan, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
My wife's 4 wheel drive stopped working on her 92 explorer. The auto hubs are not engaged but both the 4x4 dash light and the switch light remain on continuously. The low-range also does not activate when attempting to push the button in neutral, nor does that indicator light turn on. I've already performed the test on the module in the access compartment above the rear wheel well and the "4 blinks, then off" action tells me it's not the problem. I've searched around the web and have not yet found anyone else describing this particular experience. Wondering if any of you fellow-explorer enthusiasts out there can relate to any of this or recognize these symptoms? Any help of where to start would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy exploring! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could it be the auto hubs themselves? Have you tested them? Here's a great thread on testing them (Click Here) but if you want a short version: Jack up one front tire, make sure the truck is well supported on jack stands, climb under and spin the front driveshaft in any direction. Within a couple spins of the driveshaft the auto hub should've locked up and the tire that's in the air should be spinning. Turn the driveshaft in the opposite direction to disengage the auto hub.

Cheers.

The symptoms you describe are the same as I experienced when my transfer case motor was broken. It is a very simple repair. There is a sticky at the top of this forum that provides a detailed description of the repair.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the responses. That gives me something to go on. The transfer case motor sounds like the likely culprit. I'll indeed report back my findings which hopefully will be of some help to future victims.

I have a 94 ranger 4.0 4x4. I have same issue. If I push 4x4 button on dash for 4h the light would come on then ill lock hubs and the axle and shafts won't move freely but when I would let off clutch and hit gas only rear would spin. So I researched and found that maybe my shift motor on t case

I have a 94 ranger 4.0 4x4. I have same issue. If I push 4x4 button on dash for 4h the light would come on then ill lock hubs and the axle and shafts won't move freely but when I would let off clutch and hit gas only rear would spin. So I researched and found that maybe my shift motor on t case
Was bad. So I disconnected it and there is a dial on t case that says 4h 2h 4l etc.. So I turned dial into 4h and locked hubs and it does same thing the front wheels seem to move for a second then have no power

To the front wheels. But axles and shaft and dial on t case are still in 4h and locked. What is going on any help

You have manual hubs or auto hubs?

@DwayneRowe You are not the original poster. Thread high-Jacking!

Please post your own thread or just follow this thread for info.

Sounds to me like the tcase shifter motor or the circuit board for the actual push buttons. I have had to replace both in mine. You can hear the transfer case motor shift. You could just take the motor off (3 bolts) and visually see if the dc motor is turning.

Back