1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

4x4 does not work

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by marcum03, July 29, 2006.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    aatomicdawg36 could you please post the exact procedure you used when installing the new module? I don't want to fry anything installing mine. Thanks.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. aatomicdawg36

aatomicdawg36 New Member

City, State:
    West Point, NY
    2002 XLT
    To be honest, here's all I did. I opened the glove box, pinched in the sides so it'll drop all the way down. Then, I unscrewed the first "gold" colored bolt closest to you, then the black one. After you do that, that silver colored bracket swings out and you can get to the 3rd bolt, another gold colored one, in the back. After that, you have to really kind of "pinch" or press the little "tab" and then jiggle the 2 electrical connector "boxes" until they come out. On mine, one box was grey and one was black. After those came out, I just connected the new one, and put the 3 bolts back in, but make sure you do it in the SAME REVERSE ORDER, because it's hard to get the BLACK bolt in, if you've already put in that gold colored bolt, the one that's closest to you, if you put that in first. I didn't unhook the battery terminals, because I figured that's what got me in trouble in the first place !! lol.

I put the key in the ignition, tried out all the 4x4 buttons, heard the clicking and clunking, and did several test drives 4x4hi, 4x4lo, frwd, rev, on a straight road, and all seemed to be well. Good luck !

Last edited: February 21, 2010
  4. BigRondo

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    Thanks! I will be ordering mine Monday and going for it. I'll let you know how I make out.

5. aatomicdawg36

aatomicdawg36 New Member

City, State:
    West Point, NY
    2002 XLT
    I would wait awhile, I mean, like I said, I really don't know how or why mine worked for 1 day, and then crapped out again. Like some others who have posted here, it's only a circuit board, and you'd think it would either work or not, ever, period. But then again, remember when your dad smacked the old B/W tv set a few times and the picture would come in PERFECT ??? Go figure. Some things never change I guess.

I don't know about whether disconnecting the negative terminals helps, hurts, or no change. I replaced mine (4x4CM) and I didn't disconnect anything. I figured that's what got me here in the first place. Maybe someone else knows. I kind of figure it's got to be like any other appliance. It's probably BEST to disconnect any appliance from the power source before messing around with it, but if you are just replacing one "light bulb" for another one, either way, when you reconnect the battery, the power is going to flow thru the appliance anyway as if you never disconnected in the first place, so..... good luck, either way!

6. CBLAMBERT

CBLAMBERT New Member

City, State:
    ORRTANNA, PA
    02 EXPLORER 4WD
    it has a 5r55e 5 speed auto trans

7. BigRondo

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    aatomicdawg36, mine doesn't work at all. Major snow today. 4x4 low lights up and everything but only rear wheels engage. I ordered the module. I hope it works but I have a feeling that i have the wrong factory number. Should have it by Friday. I will let you know.

8. aatomicdawg36

aatomicdawg36 New Member

City, State:
    West Point, NY
    2002 XLT
    You said you may have the Wrong Factory number???

You need to remove the old module, or at least take it out far enough so you can copy the part number to give to the Parts Supplier. It should be something like 1L24-7H473-AG. Something like that. Give that to them and they will send you the right part number. You will also need to give them your VIN. Good luck. We've gotten about 2 feet already. Knock on wood, I'm doing ok with the 4x4 engaging. Good luck.

9. BigRondo

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    My part number is 1L24-7H473-AD. The modules are being sold on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...340102&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_888wt_1165. According to the seller, his module is not a replacement for mine. I am posting to another thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270006. I got confused. I ordered and received the module from ebay. For $43 I figured it was worth a shot. The number on the module is: 2C54-7H417-CA. do you think I will do any harm by trying this in my ex?

10. aatomicdawg36

aatomicdawg36 New Member

City, State:
    West Point, NY
    2002 XLT
    I don't know that it will HURT, but apparently, I clicked on the link you sent for thay ebay seller, and if you scroll down, he said point blank, "FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN SO FAR, IF YOUR MODULE HAS PART# 1L24-7H473 ON IT, MINE WONT WORK ON YOUR EXPLORER".

I think that is because some 2002 EXP were built with TRACTION CONTROL???
    You may have just burned $43. I don't know.

11. BigRondo

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    I thought I would give it a shot. $43 vs $200.

OK, installed the module. Here are the results:
    Radio has power all the time.
    Dome lights stay on all the time.
    4X4 Low LED on switch stays on.
    Brake lights are out.
    Can't shift from park even with foot on break.

Guess I have to Call Silver State Ford Parts or Rock Auto and get the correct one.

Gonna put the old one back in. Hopefully I haven't done any real damage. I will post results as soon as I get the old one back in.

Last edited: February 26, 2010
  12. BigRondo

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    Put old one back in. Everything seems to be back except brake lights are out and I can't shift from park. I suspect that is due to brake lights being out. Going searching for the fuse for the brake lights. The plot thickens................

13. rebelfoxrider

rebelfoxrider New Member

City, State:
    Wellsville, New York
    2002 explorer XLT
    So can i replace the module myself w/ out having to take it to the dealer or does it have to be reprogrammed?

14. BigRondo

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    It was the fuse for the brake switch. Got it replaced. Called Rock Auto they said they don't carry the part. I found the part listed on their site. Called them to make sure I was ordering the correct part. I think she didn't know what she was talking about. I will call Silver State Ford Parts Monday and order the part from them.

15. BigRondo

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    rebelfoxrider, as you can tell by my previous posts, I have had no luck so far with the modules. A lot of the others have replaced them themselves and they have worked fine. Just make sure you have the correct replacement part. I found out the hard way about that.

16. BigRondo

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    Ordered the Module from Silver State via internet. I emailed them and they emailed me the correct part number. I hope this works!

Last edited: March 1, 2010
  17. BigRondo

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    Got the module today and installed it. Pretty much no change. Still no 4WD. Same symptoms as before. The only thing I noticed is now the 4X4 High on the dash flashes 10 times when I start the engine. I checked the Auto/High/Low switch and it is connected. I don't what to do next. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

18. VeNoMSPI

VeNoMSPI New Member

I'm having the same trouble with a used module from a scrapyard Rondo, dont really wanna blow 200 bucks for a new one to have the same issue...hopefully someone can help us both.

19. VeNoMSPI

VeNoMSPI New Member

A little more info on my situation. 02 XLT Explorer. 4.0 Auto 4wd. No lights on the selector for the 4x4. No burnt fuses, replace the 4x4CM with one from a scrap yard out of another 02 XLT. Snaps the brake fuse (#23) and cant shift out of park until that fuse is replaced, as soon as you touch the brake it snaps the fuse again. However, with the ScrapYard CM in it, I get my 4x4 Low light on, but the truck thinks the key is in the ignition all the time (chime goes with doors open key in or out.) And the fuse issue. Put the old CM back in and still no 4x4 but no snapped fuse and no lights on the switches again... Just ordered a new CM from local Ford dealer for a little more than the Vegas site, no biggie...but Im hoping that when I put it in I dont get the fuse issue again, or complete 4x4 failure with a new module. We've already put a new TC shift motor in it thinking that was the problem orginally because they've been known to go, especially locally with snow and road salt. Corrosion gets the best of them. But anyway, any help is greatly appreciated...untill then Im stuck with a 2x4 Xploder till I get the new CM to try... totally lost....

20. BigRondo

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    Venom, if you look at my earlier posts you will see that I had the same problem with the brake switch, etc. I put in a module with the wrong part no. What is the number from your original module? Maybe I can help you match up the correct part no. I'm going to try the reset procedure to see if that does anything. I'll let you know.

21. BigRondo

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    Did the POS cable removal procedure today with no luck. :(