4x4 does not work | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 does not work

Thank you

can you give details on how to remove, and reconnect the new cm. where are wires connected to? when we open the glove box we can not see where the wires are attached. we are having the same prob. as all of you, and we appreciate all the good info. we plan to order the part online and do it ourselves, versus the 500.00 estimate from today. Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can you give us some help on getting to this part, and replacing it, seems we have the same prob. and we also just changed our battery since we last used the 4 x 4

Read back through this thread. There is a huge amount of info concerning this. If you have an Explorer, another poster said:

"The 4x4 Control module (CM) is a little black box located behind the glove box ~4" x 5 1/4" in dimension.. It has two electronic harness connections. To remove glove box, pull the sides in to let it open entirely. locate the black box, and remove 1 bolt from the underside of the black box, it then swings out and you can remove the 2 screws holding it on to the bracket, disconnect the harnesses and replace accordingly."

I have a '02 Explorer, but it seems like Rangers have a different part #

Good Luck.

response

we do have an 02 explorer, and it sounds just like all the other posts. we took out the glove box, but stopped there. your info is helpful, but it sure looks hard to get to. is it really that easy to change? can you give me the part # again for the explorer replacement? Thanks, you guys are great!

SO. JUST TO BE SURE, YOU SUGGEST THAT THE BATTERY BE DICONNECTED UNTIL AFTER THE NEW PART GOES IN? tHIS IS THE FIRST POST I READ THAT MENTIONED THAT.

is it really that easy to change? can you give me the part # again for the explorer replacement? Thanks, you guys are great!

Yes it is easy. The module is on the left, mounted on the blower assembly, as you look in the opening where the glove box is. Remove the downward facing bolt, on the right of the module. After that the module will swing out, and you'll have to take the bracket off the old and install on the new.

To be safe, you should get the PN from your module. MIne was 1L247H473AG, but I've seen others, depending if you have all wheel drive, blah, blah. For mine the PN has been changed. Parts guy told me they go by this number though, TM153.

And I did not disco my battery before installing the new one, but I guess it couldn't hurt.

Thank you! 4 x 4 fixed

I can't tell you how much time and money this site has saved us. First of all, they first garage didn't even diagnose correctly, and we almost replaced the dashboard 4 x 4 switch. The next garage we consulted, led us to believe that it was the module, so that led us to research parts, and whether we could do it ourselves to save money. Tonight I picked up my part, and it was in within 10 minutes. UNBELIEVABLE! The 4 x 4 lit right up. I did actually get the part from a local dealer, but called many to get the best price. The first one said 388.00 then i was told 338.00 and bought it for 240.00 at the last dealership. I would have bought it at the website listed here, but we had no time to spare. there rate for my 02 eddie bauer was 180.00, so they certainly are the cheapest. I can't tell you how thankful we are for all the great info here, and how we saved over 300.00 right before x-mas, and our car actually is fixed. Thank you all so much!

Yes definitely one of the positives of the web. I've been on multiple types of forums for years and have gained so much knowledge and fixed so many problems...NICE! Thanks to all these folks.

4x4 control module

The cheapest source I could find on the net was Rock Auto - 188.79. Who has found it cheaper?? Directfordparts lists the same part for 338.

I replaced my module and the 4x4 still does not work. I was getting the 4x4 hi & 4x4 lo lights blinking abou every 3 minutes while driving, so I replaced the module and now those warning lights don't come on at all but my 4x4 still doesn't work. I don't get any clicking sounds when I press the buttons.

What should I do next?

I replaced my module and the 4x4 still does not work. I was getting the 4x4 hi & 4x4 lo lights blinking abou every 3 minutes while driving, so I replaced the module and now those warning lights don't come on at all but my 4x4 still doesn't work. I don't get any clicking sounds when I press the buttons.

What should I do next?

Well there was one guy (earlier in this thread I think) who pulled the trim panel and selector switch off and found the switch connector unplugged. You might have a look at that. Also, where did you get your new 4X4 module? Did you disconnect the battery when you changed it out?

Well there was one guy (earlier in this thread I think) who pulled the trim panel and selector switch off and found the switch connector unplugged. You might have a look at that. Also, where did you get your new 4X4 module? Did you disconnect the battery when you changed it out?

I did disconnect the battery first, then did the swap and reconnected the battery. I also checked the switch connections as well as the two 20 amp fuses under the hood. It all checks out o.k.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and take it in to the dealer.:rant:

Oh I forgot to say I bought the part thru ford directly. My brother-in-law gets the employee discount so he ordered it for me. All the number on the label match exactly except the date code....the original is 02104 and the new one is 02148?

Maybe they screwed me and sent an old one....can't tell

One other thing to check: crawl under your truck and look at the wiring harness at the transfer case. Have heard of wires getting pinched around there.

Sorry it wasn't just plug and play for you.

Oh I forgot to say I bought the part thru ford directly. My brother-in-law gets the employee discount so he ordered it for me. All the number on the label match exactly except the date code....the original is 02104 and the new one is 02148?

Well if they tell you that you need another one I would tell them...

The cheapest source I could find on the net was Rock Auto - 188.79. Who has found it cheaper?? Directfordparts lists the same part for 338.

TASCA ford has the best price right now. I called about 30 dealers that I could find online. 166 was the price when I bought it 3 weeks ago.
I called, gave them my VIN and current 4x4 module part number. All they really need is your VIN. Took them 5 days to get it to me over the Thanksgiving weekend. Good people to deal with and you can track the shipment online. I ordered it online after the parts department gave me the proper part number.

Good Luck.

Julian date would tell you that there is a better chance you got screwed. My replacement was built in 05. What was your price through Ford? I have a bunch of connections in Ford, being in the dying stamping industry, but I didn't think to order it that way.

I paid $240 for it. I am returning it to them, I had it checked out and it is also bad. Real nice. I ordered another one from Tasca. Thanks for the tip.

I also checked the wiring harness at the transfer motor and it looks fine. The motor case showed a little rust on it but not totally corroded, should be working fine.

I replaced mine last night. Got it from Rockauto. Awesome people to deal with. The part for my 02 xlt is TM152 not TM153. Found that out the hard way but they took back the TM153.

My dash switch 4 low light comes on and stays on but there isn't the traditional blinking on the left at start up and I still don't have 4x4. Any other suggestions. I did disconnect but it probably wasn't for 15 minutes as it only took a couple to put it in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replaced module. 15 minutes of work. 4 wheel drive is back. Saved $300 parts and labor. Thanks God for this site!!!

Back