4x4 Hi Low lights Flashing, No Wipers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Hi Low lights Flashing, No Wipers

98ExplorerMan

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Explorer EB 4d V6 4x4
Can anyone help me on this, my 98 Explorer has developed a habit, although not all of the time where the 4x4 Hi and Low lights flash 6 times pause and then do it again. When the lights are flashing, 4x4 and the Wipers/Washer don't work. I did try resetting the computer, with no luck... Still blinking.. No other symptoms that I know of.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPDATE: It seems that these two occurrences are a coincidence as today the 4wd was working and the Wipers were not, the washer worked though....just a little something to keep me looking!! Any help on either or both of these issues?

Ford has a tsb for 4x4 lights flashing. It said to replace a certain under the seat, the 4x4 motor and possibly the 4x4 speed sensors in transfercase.

Hello, I am new to this but I have the same problem; The 4WD lites are flashing and the wipers only work on high. Are these problems related? Can any one help?

Hey Tom, I don't believe they are, after doing research on the flashing 4x4 lights, I saw where sometimes a fuse in connnection with Power windows is to blame, this isn't the case for the wipers. I solved my wiper problem, the fuse had come completely out! Just thought it was one of the unused sockets in my previous look. Thank God that was ease. As for your wipers, I can't offer much, kinda sounds like a switch problem, although there is a relay that has some thing to do with Wiper hi/low.

Good luck!

Ford has a tsb for 4x4 lights flashing. It said to replace a certain under the seat, the 4x4 motor and possibly the 4x4 speed sensors in transfercase.

A certain what under the seat? Which seat?

A certain what under the seat? Which seat?

Sorry forgot the word "wiring harness" in my post. It was a little jumper harness that goes from the under the driver seat to the transfer case motor under the car.

To;98 Explorer Man, thank you for the info, I forgot to mention that the wipers work on fast setting only.

This is driving me Crazy

OK, wipers work when 4wd lights not flashing and 4wd is working. When 4wd lights blink, 4wd does not work and neither do front wipers. Anyone? Please help.

good candidates are the accessory delay relay and / battery saver relay (and / or wiring / splices coming off of those)

Update, Today I got in the 98 at the office, started ok, drive off running badly. Accidentally hit the wiper switch, they were working. Switched over to 4 wheel, worked also. Drove a mile away and there go the lights ablinking. Checked and no wipers! I don't understand!! I am a ford fan but this puppy is beginning to get on my nerves! :mad:

whenever they (wipers) don't work.... check to see if you have grounds going to the wiper relays "operating coils"... these are sent from the GEM..... or you could just replace your GEM and cross your fingers.... :)

good candidates are the accessory delay relay and / battery saver relay (and / or wiring / splices coming off of those)

Great, I purchased relays and went to install, there are 7 relays in the box above the accelerator pedal. Which relays are they?

I have a 1997 not a 1998 and there were some electrical changes between those years so all of this might not apply to you. However none of the relays in the Relay module (located near the driver's right foot when seated) have anything to do with the wipers. The wipers are controlled by the GEM, MFS, two relays in the Power distribution box (top left rear of engine bay), one relay in Auxiliary relay box #2 (mid-level right front of engine bay), and the Wiper motor.

The problem of flashing 4x4 lights is probably a completely different issue. Here is a simple forum search to get you started: Search link. I can't follow exactly what the symptoms of your wiper problems are. Please give as much information as possible when the issue does and does not happen.

For example: engine on/off, MFS position, noises at failure, etc.

I only have 96 drawings and "experience"... I would go with the accessory delay relay first... although you said you aren't having issues with your windows, right???? The thought about the relay is that it powers a "little thought" of "relay" (torque on demand) which if not powered will cause your flashing 4wd AND that same power passes thru to the GEM for "other things". Having said that, 98 could be different and further, as I pointed out earlier, it might be the wiring going to /from said relay.

One of your earlier posts said you fixed your wipers by pushing in a fuse... true??? maybe its loose and wiggles around a bit.

Here is a copy of 4x4 flashing light tsb.

Printable View (33 KB)
TSB
99-14-2 LAMP - 4X4 LAMP FLASHING AND 4X4 INOPERATIVE - VEHICLES WITH A4WD TRANSMISSION AND 4.0L
TRANSMISSION - A4WD - 4X4 LAMP FLASHING AND 4X4 INOPERATIVE - VEHICLES WITH 4.0L

Publication Date: JUNE 29, 1999

FORD: 1997-1999 EXPLORER
MERCURY: 1998-1999 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE:
The 4X4 indicator lamps may flash on some vehicles. This may be due to oxidation buildup and/or premature wear on the sense plate of the shift motor which can send incorrect signals to the 4X4 controller. Terminals on the transfer case connector may also develop a resistive film, leading to faulty signals to the 4X4 controller.

ACTION:
Install a new shift motor and/or speed sensors with new terminal material. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Obtain customer's input on the 4X4 concern.
Connect a New Generation Star (NGS) Tester to the Data Link Connector (DLC) located under the dash panel and retrieve Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) from the Generic Electronic Module (GEM).
Using the customer's input and DTCs from the service diagnosis, follow the repair procedure outlined in the following Service Diagnostic Information Chart.

SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION
Customer's Input
4X4 Lamps Flashing (Yes/No) Symptom(s) DTCs Stored In GEM (And/Or) Potential Cause Recommended Repair Procedure
Yes No physical 4X4 symptoms None Undetermined Procedure I

Yes Bind in turns after startup in 4Auto P1836, P1837, P1874, P1875 Speed sensor circuit failure Procedure II

Yes No shift motor movement or general shift concerns P1838, P1846, P1850, P1854, P1858, P1866, P1867 Shift motor circuit failure Procedure III
*NOTE: DTCs are designed to disappear if the fault has not reoccurred within a set number of ignition cycles (key on-off-on).

Procedure I

4X4 lamps flashing with no DTCs stored in the GEM. Perform following repair procedure:

Select clear DTC command (even if there are no DTCs available) in the NGS Tester and cycle the vehicle ignition key (on-off-on) to reset the GEM's 4X4 monitoring software.
Test drive to see if the condition returns. If the condition DOES NOT return, the intermittent fault is no longer present at this time and no repair should be performed. Release the vehicle to the customer.
If the condition DOES return and DTC(s) were stored in the GEM, use the DTC(s) to perform diagnostics (refer to Service Diagnostic Information table in this TSB).
Procedure II

For 4X4 lamps flashing with one or a combination of DTCs P1836, P1837, P1874, and P1875 stored in the GEM, perform following repair procedure:

Verify that DTCs P1836, P1837, P1874, and/or P1875 are present in the GEM. Then clear all stored DTCs and cycle the ignition key (on-off-on). Place the 4WD mode switch in 4X4 AUTO position. Monitor TRA_FSP and TRA_RSP Parameter Identification Displays (PIDs) using an NGS Tester at 80 km/h (50 mph) steady state driving. Verify that the two PIDs, TRA_FSP and TRA_RSP, are within 2-3 km/h (1-2 mph) of one another during steady state driving.
Refer to the following Steps 2a, 2b, and 2c for PID diagnostics:
(Upstream Check) If the two PIDs are NOT within 2-3 km/h (1-2 mph), check for continuity (open or short) in the speed sensor circuit on the vehicle side of Connector C201, 1999 Explorer/Mountaineer Workshop Manual, Section 308-07A, per Pinpoint Tests A33-A38. Visually inspect all terminal pins, crimps and connectors closely. If there are problems with the wiring, repair all wiring concerns as necessary and proceed to Step 4.
(Downstream Check) If the two PIDs are NOT within 2-3 km/h (1-2 mph) and the wiring/connector checks out OK, measure the resistance on the front and rear speed sensors (on the transfer case side of Connector C201). Refer to Figure 1 for the Connector C201 pin-out chart to measure the speed sensor resistance as follows:
For the front speed sensor, measure between C201-4 Circuit 236 (BK/LG) and C201-8 Circuit 359 (GY/R).
For the rear speed sensor, measure between C201-2 Circuit 772 (LB) and C201-6 Circuit 359 (GY/R).
Replace all speed sensors with resistance less than 1,000,000 (1.0 Mega) Ohm. Service part numbers for the new speed sensors are: XL2Z-7F293-BA (front speed sensor) and XL2Z-7F293-AA (rear speed sensor). Proceed to Step 3.

If the two PIDs are within 2-3 km/h (1-2 mph), replace only the appropriate speed sensor per stored DTC in GEM. For vehicles with P1836 DTC, install a new Front Speed Sensor (XL2Z-7F293-BA). For vehicles with P1837 DTC, install a new Rear Speed Sensor (XL2Z-7F293-AA). Proceed to Step 3.
(ON Left Hand Drive Vehicles ONLY! NOT applicable to Right Hand Drive Vehicles) Install a new 4X4 jumper wiring harness that goes from underneath the driver seat to Connector C201 on the transfer case. The service part number for the new 4X4 Jumper Wiring Harness is XL2Z-7A786-AC. Proceed to Step 4.
Test drive to see if the condition returns. Pull DTCs from the GEM and confirm that no DTCs exist. Clear DTCs from GEM (even if there are no DTCs available) and cycle ignition.
Procedure III

For 4X4 lamps flashing with one or a combination of DTCs P1838, P1846, P1850, P1854, P1858, P1866 and P1867 stored in the GEM, perform the following repair procedure:

Verify that DTCs P1838, P1846, P1850, P1854, P1858, P1866 and/or P1867 are present in the GEM. Then clear all stored DTCs and cycle the ignition key (on-off-on). Monitor contact plate A, B, C, and D PIDs using an NGS Tester while the transfer case is in 4X4 AUTO and 4X4 LOW mode. Verify that the contact plate PIDs correspond to appropriate 4WD positions (4X4 AUTO - "COCC", 4X4 LOW - "OCOC" where "C" is Closed and "O" is Open).
Refer to the following Steps 2a, 2b, 2c for PID diagnostics:
(Upstream Check) If the contact plate PIDs DO NOT correspond to the set 4WD position, check for continuity (open or short) in the contact plate circuit (on the vehicle side) of the 1999 Explorer/Mountaineer Workshop Manual, Section 308-07A, per Pinpoint Tests B40-B54. Visually inspect all terminal pins, crimps, and connectors closely. If there are problems with the wiring, repair all wiring concerns as necessary and proceed to Step 4.
(Downstream Check) If the contact plate PIDs DO NOT correspond to the set 4WD position and the wiring/connector checks out OK, measure the resistance on the transfer case shift motor contact plates while the 4WD is in 4X4 AUTO and 4X4 LOW position. Refer to Figure 1 for the Connector C201 pin-out chart to measure the transfer case shift motor contact plate resistance as follows:
To measure the contact plate "A" resistance, measure between C201-5 Circuit 771 (P/Y) and C201-10 Circuit 762 (Y/W).
For contact plate "B" resistance, measure between C201-1 Circuit 770 (W) and C201-10 Circuit 762 (Y/W).
For contact plate "C" resistance, measure between C201-9 Circuit 764 (BR/W) and C201-10 Circuit 762 (Y/W).
For contact plate "D" resistance, measure between C201-13 Circuit 763 (O/W) and C201-10 Circuit 762 (Y/W).
Resistance less than 1.25 Ohms is considered "Closed". Resistance greater than 5100 Ohms is considered "Open". If the resistance on any one of the contact plates is between 1.25 and 5100 Ohms, replace the shift motor. Also, if the resistance check on the shift motor contact plate A, B, C, and D DO NOT correspond to "COCC" in 4X4 AUTO and "OCOC" in 4X4 LOW, replace the shift motor with a new Transfer Case Shift Motor (XL2Z-7G360-AA). Proceed to Step 3.

If the contact plate PIDs DO correspond to the set 4X4 position, replace the shift motor with a new shift motor. Proceed to Step 3.
(ON Left Hand Drive Vehicles ONLY! NOT applicable to Right Hand Drive Vehicles) Install a new 4X4 Jumper Wiring Harness (XL2Z-7A786-AC) that goes from underneath the driver seat to Connector C201 on the transfer case. Proceed to Step 4.
Test drive to see if the condition returns. Pull DTCs from the GEM module and confirm that no DTCs exist. Clear DTCs from GEM module (even if there are no DTCs available) and cycle ignition.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
XL2Z-7A786-AC Jumper Wiring Harness
XL2Z-7F293-BA Front Speed Sensor
XL2Z-7F293-AA Rear Speed Sensor
XL2Z-7G360-AA Transfer Case Shift Motor

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
991402A Perform Quick Tests And Review Service Diagnostic Information Chart 0.5 Hr.
991402BB Extra Time To Replace Speed Sensor (Rear) 0.3 Hr.
991402BC Extra Time To Replace Speed Sensors (Both) 0.5 Hr.
991402B Extra Time To Replace Speed Sensor (Front) 0.5 Hr.
991402C Extra Time To Install Jumper Harness 0.4 Hr.
991402D Extra Time To Replace Shift Motor 0.5 Hr.
991402E Extra Time To Road Test Vehicle After Repairs 0.3 Hr.
991402F Use "A" Time For Circuit Repair And Diagnostics As Outlined In The Warranty And Policy Manual

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7A195 42

OASIS CODES:
203000, 204000, 204100, 205000, 206000, 506000, 508000, 597997, 608000, 610000, 703000

Figure 1 - Article 99-14-2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 1999 Ford Motor Company

I have a 1997 not a 1998 and there were some electrical changes between those years so all of this might not apply to you. However none of the relays in the Relay module (located near the driver's right foot when seated) have anything to do with the wipers. The wipers are controlled by the GEM, MFS, two relays in the Power distribution box (top left rear of engine bay), one relay in Auxiliary relay box #2 (mid-level right front of engine bay), and the Wiper motor.

The problem of flashing 4x4 lights is probably a completely different issue. Here is a simple forum search to get you started: Search link. I can't follow exactly what the symptoms of your wiper problems are. Please give as much information as possible when the issue does and does not happen.

For example: engine on/off, MFS position, noises at failure, etc.

Ruled out the relays and fuses. Thanks for the info, I had seen other places where these relays are the problem. Changed the three in question and you were correct.... Still down. About ready to shoot this thing!

As for the wipers they only work when the 4x4 lights are not blinking and 4x4 is working. Doesn't matter where the MFS is. I have not had the wipers stop midway however. Washer Pump no go. No noticeable noises or anything specific to temps, weather etc....

Here is a copy of 4x4 flashing light tsb.

Printable View (33 KB)
TSB
99-14-2 LAMP - 4X4 LAMP FLASHING AND 4X4 INOPERATIVE - VEHICLES WITH A4WD TRANSMISSION AND 4.0L
TRANSMISSION - A4WD - 4X4 LAMP FLASHING AND 4X4 INOPERATIVE - VEHICLES WITH 4.0L

Publication Date: JUNE 29, 1999

FORD: 1997-1999 EXPLORER
MERCURY: 1998-1999 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE:
The 4X4 indicator lamps may flash on some vehicles. This may be due to oxidation buildup and/or premature wear on the sense plate of the shift motor which can send incorrect signals to the 4X4 controller. Terminals on the transfer case connector may also develop a resistive film, leading to faulty signals to the 4X4 controller.

ACTION:................................

Figure 1 - Article 99-14-2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 1999 Ford Motor Company

Great, thanks for the info, I am tending to believe this is a problem with the GEM as it affects the wipers also, this was mentioned by Onelever above.

I can see this is going to take some time, something I have less and less of. I need wipers though!

The TSB swetrid posted indicates that a bad wire could cause the blinking 4x4 issue. As for your wipers, if the GEM is being messed with by some short circuit it could affect them I suppose. Everything in the truck that is connected electronically can go haywire if there's a short somewhere. If you have time I'd get out a multimeter and start testing wires or whatever else turns up in those 4x4 flashing light threads before replacing the GEM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Problem seems to be solved. I had to get behind the radio for a different problem and noticed that the 4wd switch support to the radio surround had broken. Not that I thought this had anything to do with the 4WD problem, I super glued the support. Put everything back together and amazingly, my 4wd works again and my wipers work again. Must have something to do with the switch, as long as that solved the problem then I am not going to ask questions. should the problems arrise again, I will replace the 4wd switch and see if that works!

Thanks all,

Back