• Register Today It's free!

4X4 how does it work

Ormas4X4

Reaction score
City, State
Southfield MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
I had a ranger and it had a switch to select 4X4. I had an AWD, and it was full time 4 wheel. My new one is a Gen 3, (2002), and I have not driven it yet. I want to know how the 4X4 works. I see the two switches, and I'm wondering if the 4X4 feature turns off, or just switches between High and Low?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a ranger and it had a switch to select 4X4. I had an AWD, and it was full time 4 wheel. My new one is a Gen 3, (2002), and I have not driven it yet. I want to know how the 4X4 works. I see the two switches, and I'm wondering if the 4X4 feature turns off, or just switches between High and Low?

The vehicle is normally in "auto4x4" mode, which is 2 wheel (rear) drive unless the system senses wheel slippage, then 4x4 high (front axle drive) kicks in briefly till the wheel slippage ceases then it goes back in auto 4x4 mode. While in Neutral, select the button "4x4 High" to drive at roadway speeds in snow or select "4x4 low" when totally stuck/bogged down in snow or mud, making sure to only use this mode in those conditions. Don't drive in "4x4 low" at roadway speeds. To take yourself out of 4x4 high or 4x4 low mode, just push the "auto 4x4" button. You should see a dash icon for 4x4 high or 4x4 low light up when you select that drive gearing or turn off when you go back into auto 4x4 mode..

While in Neutral, select the button "4x4 High" to drive at roadway speeds in snow
So this is the correct way to put it in 4x4 high?? I have just been hitting the button while driving at normal speeds??:eek:

The vehicle is normally in "auto4x4" mode, which is 2 wheel (rear) drive unless the system senses wheel slippage, then 4x4 high (front axle drive) kicks in briefly till the wheel slippage ceases then it goes back in auto 4x4 mode. While in Neutral, select the button "4x4 High" to drive at roadway speeds in snow or select "4x4 low" when totally stuck/bogged down in snow or mud, making sure to only use this mode in those conditions. Don't drive in "4x4 low" at roadway speeds. To take yourself out of 4x4 high or 4x4 low mode, just push the "auto 4x4" button. You should see a dash icon for 4x4 high or 4x4 low light up when you select that drive gearing or turn off when you go back into auto 4x4 mode..

This is correct and any selection while in neutral is done while standing still.

Thanks for the answer. I can't wait to finish the engine rebuild so I can drive it. Plan to be finished by the end of February. Parts and machine services will cost about a grand which I will have to save up for.

Go to this thread:http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340075

This is a sticky at the top of the page on this forum that gives you access to the owner's manual. Click on the #6 PDF and there is an explanation starting around page 201. It explains the process for shifting in and out of 4x4HI and 4x4LO.

Positions of the Control-Trac system
The Control-Trac system functions in three modes:

The 4x4 Auto mode provides
four-wheel drive with full power
delivered to the rear axle, and to
the front axle as required for
increased traction. This is
appropriate for normal on-road
operating conditions, such as dry
road surfaces, wet pavement,
snow and gravel.

The 4x4 High mode provides
to both axles. It is only intended
for severe winter or off-road
conditions, such as deep snow
and ice (where no dry or wet
pavement remains uncovered),
and shallow sand.

The 4x4 Low mode supplies
to both axles and includes a
lower gear ratio for low-speed. It
is only intended for off-road
applications that require extra
power including deep sand, steep
grades and pulling a boat and
trailer out of the water.

The vehicle should not be operated in 4x4 High and 4x4 Low on
dry or merely wet pavement. Doing so will produce excessive
noise, increase tire wear and may damage driveline components.
These modes are intended for use only on consistently slippery or
loose surfaces.
If your vehicle is equipped with 4WD, a spare tire of a different
size than the road tires should never be used. Such a tire could
make the vehicle difficult to control and as well as result in damage to
driveline components.
Vehicles with a higher center of gravity such as utility and
four-wheel drive vehicles handle differently than vehicles with a
lower center of gravity. Utility and four-wheel drive vehicles are not
designed for cornering at speeds as high as passenger cars any more
than low-slung sports cars are designed to perform satisfactorily under
off-road conditions. Avoid sharp turns, excessive speed and abrupt
maneuvers in these vehicles. Failure to drive cautiously could result in
an increased risk of vehicle rollover, personal injury and death.

Shifting between 4x4 Auto and 4x4 High
When you press the 4x4 High
button, the indicator light will
illuminate in the instrument cluster.
When you press the 4x4 Auto
button, the indicator light will turn
off.
Either shift can be done at a stop or
while driving at any speed.

Shifting from 4x4 Auto or 4x4 High to 4x4 Low
1. Bring the vehicle to a stop.
2. Depress the brake.
3. Place the gearshift in N (Neutral)
(automatic transmission) or depress
the clutch (manual transmission).
4. Press the 4x4 Low button. When
engaged the 4x4 Low instrument
cluster light and the 4x4 Low button
will illuminate.
The 4X4 LOW button will flash if:
1. The system is waiting for driver input (brake and/or neutral gear). OR
2. There is a 4X4 low shift in progress.
If the driver inputs are not engaged, the button selection will time-out
and the 4X4 system will remain in its current mode.

Shifting from 4x4 Low to 4x4 Auto or 4x4 High
1. Bring the vehicle to a stop.
2. Depress the brake.
3. Place the gearshift in N (Neutral)
(automatic transmission) or depress
the clutch (manual transmission).
4. Press the 4x4 Auto or the 4x4
High button. When 4x4 Auto is
engaged NO indicator lights will
illuminate. When 4x4 High is
engaged the 4x4 High instrument
cluster light will illuminate.

The 4X4 LOW button will flash if:
1. The system is waiting for driver input (brake and/or neutral gear). OR
2. There is a 4X4 low shift in progress.
If the driver inputs are not engaged, the button selection will time-out
and the 4X4 system will remain in its current mode.

The vehicle should not be operated in 4x4 High and 4x4 Low on
dry or merely wet pavement. Doing so will produce excessive
noise, increase tire wear and may damage driveline components.
These modes are intended for use only on consistently slippery or
loose surfaces.

The other thing to be careful of is that all four tires are matching in height when properly inflated. Some owners replace only two tires, front or rear, and that will trigger the AUTO4x4 to activate and you'll be in 4x4 and not know it. The ABS sensors detect the difference in circumference as wheel spin. There is a modification you can make to add a switch to turn off the 4x4 all together (Brown Wire Mod: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194875 Read the whole thread because guys have added other ideas that eliminate the relay.) to avoid having the truck go into 4x4 automatically and you don't know about it. When in AUTO 4x4, there is NO indicator light that comes on when the truck automatically shifts into 4x4. I don't know why Ford didn't put an indicator light somewhere so the driver would know they're driving in 4x4HI. My wife's Expedition has Auto 4x4 but there is a switch that lets you select 2x4HI so you can shut off the 4x4 function.

HoHopefully someone will correct anything I didn't get right.

This is correct and any selection while in neutral is done while standing still.

Yes! I took it as a "given" that you would be "Parked" or non-moving when shifting into "Neutral", followed by selecting a 4x4 high or low mode or back into auto 4x4 mode.

So this is the correct way to put it in 4x4 high?? I have just been hitting the button while driving at normal speeds??:eek:

From what I've read in here in the past, the vehicle should be placed in neutral (while stopped), prior to switching into a 4x4 high or low mode. I've never thrown it into 4x4 high mode while moving at normal speeds myself, but it probably isn't good to do that. I know some other types of vehicles I've seen over the years in TV ads claim you can shift into 4x4 mode while driving on the go, don't know if these Explorers fall into that category. I have shifted into 4x4 high while in "Park" a few times before prior to leaving my driveway, nothing strange happened and it worked like it should. DHook has put up what appears to be the Ford Manual way of shifting into 4x4 high or low or back into auto 4x4.

I disagree, you can turn 4x4 high on while moving. I believe the limit is around 92 km/h/55 mph.
Just try and not be flooring it when turning it on. I let off the gas pedal so there's less stress on the system when shifting to 4 high.

And, Hello fellow Ontario-ian. :)

Shifting between 4x4 Auto and 4x4 High
When you press the 4x4 High
button, the indicator light will
illuminate in the instrument cluster.
When you press the 4x4 Auto
button, the indicator light will turn
off.
Either shift can be done at a stop or
while driving at any speed.
WHEW!!! I guess according to the manual either way is fine.:D Thanks for the info D Hook

With the service history that these vehicles 4x4 systems have and how costly they are to repair I do not plan on doing any shifting on the fly anytime soon no matter what the manual says.

I always thought that 4x4 AUTO and 4x4HI were the same thing but when you read the description carefully you can see it's worded in such a way that the two differ in how much power is sent to the front wheels.

I guess what matters is that you don't have to be stopped and in neutral to shift into 4x4HI but you DO for 4x4LO. Like Donystoy said above, why chance it if you don't have to? I just leave mine in 4x4 AUTO and only switch into 4x4HI if conditions warrant it.

With the service history that these vehicles 4x4 systems have and how costly they are to repair I do not plan on doing any shifting on the fly anytime soon no matter what the manual says.

Sounds like good advice!:thumbsup:

This answered my question I had post earlier. Thank you guys so much. I guess i need to inflate the tires to the same size till i can buy new ones.

Not really. The front shaft is engaged by an electromagnetic clutch. There is no problem whatsoever with shifting on the fly.

Upon thinking a little more about this......I have come to the conclusion that if 4x4 kicks in automatically while your driving at any speed in 4x4 AUTO, then manually putting it in 4x4 high at any speed should be ok.

push button shift on the fly four wheel drive. The answer is in the description. I remember Ford advertising this way when the 97 F150 came out using the front axle disconnect that now everything uses. Chevy first started the "shift on the fly" revolution in 1988, whereas before you had to get out and manually lock in each front hub.

whereas before you had to get out and manually lock in each front hub.

Done that many times before in a snow storm in my full size 1977 GMC "Jimmy" 4x4. Much more comfort friendly these days switching into 4x4 mode.

You do realize that if you're in 4x4 auto, the truck engages 4x4 high when it detects slipping.. Whether you shift it into high or not, it will do it for you, while you're moving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First time poster - Long time reader.

I live in calgary and drive to the mountains around three times a week to snowboard. On said trips I press and depress the 4x4 High button on average 5 times per way. Some times at 30kph others at 70kph, never had a problem with my car. Other than a rear pinion seal said to be leaking by ford. Never had to replace my transmission (currently at 218713kms). I just keep up with oil changes every 3-4k and transmission fluid change every 30k. Car runs and sounds like new and I have never put the car in 4x4 Low.

Have a 2004 EB Explorer.

Back