4x4 issues in 94 ranger STX | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 issues in 94 ranger STX

jamilayers22

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ranger stx
Ok, 4 wheel drive stopped working, i have push button inside and manual locking hubs outside.

low range wont even come on although i can here the module working when i try to engage this.
i have tried rolling the truck backwards in nuetral, and turning off the engine, its an automatic, none of this helps with low range issues.

I did check the module to see if it is working acuratly and the fuses, both under hood and dash.
I trouble shot the module with this website, to check the conections and resistances in the wiring. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4wd_control_module.html

I got good readings accept on the speed sensor and on position 5 of the shift motor, however i dont think i had my ohm meter on a high enough grade, set it at 200. So, i can redo this if necessary.

I am wondering if the speed sensor could be the issue, and if so would it fail to engage but show that the 4x4 (regular or high light) is working. I have not had the chance to take all 4 wheels off the ground to see if the 4 wheel is actually working or not. will get to that tonight hopefully.

has anyone had the shift motor go out on them? please help me out thx.

thanks

Hey, so I did retest the module, 8 pin plug, with ohm meter Sry on right setting. No response from 5 and 7 pin. Is this normal? Also tested voltage to module, 5 pin dark blue and white light blue, only was reading about 6 volts... site says should read 12?

While doing this I didn't ground out anything and now tach doesn't work. Just found lose errors and had it working this morning but now it stopped again. :-( any ideas here.

Back