• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Keeps Engaging Need Input

huntersteve61

Reaction score
City, State
Finleyville, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4Dr.
Hey this is the 3rd x and 2nd 99 I've owned and this is the only 1 I've felt do it with me. It has the ohv engine, first one of these and the 4 speed auto xmission. Now when I'm pulling out I can feel the thumping of the 4wd cycling. I first thought my tranny was slipping maybe and if I put it in 4 High it stops every time. I understand it does this if it feels slip but it will getting onto the interstate or even on back country roads. I checked speed sensors when I did a recent ABS diagnosis and those are all on + - .5mph so thats all good.... Is there a sensor I could of ruined that thinks 4wd needs engaged? could it be the 31's cause I never ran bigger tires before??? I'm so lost I HATE the feel of it cycling when I know it shouldn't.

Anybody at all???

Perfectly normal. THe engineers in Dearborn made it a part of the programming. The duty cycle of the transfer case clutch coil ramps up and down based on not only th wheel speed sensors, but the vehicle speed, throttle position, load, gear, vehicle speed, etc. The algorhythm isn't perfect IMHO, but it works. They all do it. Some are more noticable that others, but they all do it.

Best Regards,
Joe

Thanks Joe. I was guessing maybe because I put the bigger tires and stiffened up the susp I feel it now more then I did when I was running an eddie bauer with 235 street tires on it haha :) Will doing the "brown wire" eliminate this? and will it cause problems in future?

Back