1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4x4 Light on after roadtrip

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by tyler510, October 3, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Tags:
  1. tyler510

tyler510 New Member

City, State:
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 Ford Explorer XLT
    Hi! First time posting to the forum!
    This last summer I was on a 250 mile road trip in my '94 Ex on one of the hottest days we had in Minnesota/Wisconsin. On the way there, well let's just say I was pushing it a bit on the Wisconsin freeway and it started to overheat. I pulled over, let it cool down, and noticed that both the 4x4 High and dash light were on. Nobody had pressed it and it didn't seem like anything was engaged. After I let the truck cool down, I took it easy the rest of the way and had no other problems except for the 4x4 lights stuck on. I stopped at a gas station and tested to see if the front driveshaft was actually engaged (I wasn't too worried as I knew that at least one auto hub was blown) by marking the driveshaft and frame with a little hash mark, and moving a few inches forward. Turns out it wasn't engaged, but ever since the 4x4 light and dash light have been stuck on.

When I bought the truck, the owner said that both hubs wouldn't lock, and when I tested the 4x4 myself, I found that pressing either button did nothing to shift it so I figured the transfer case servo motor was either stuck or worn.

Since the trip I have just disconnected the 4x4 shift fuse to be on the safe side. Any ideas of what it could be that's causing the dash lights to stay on? Thanks! (I apologize for the long rambling).

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH