4x4 problem and bad mileage on 1994 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 problem and bad mileage on 1994 Sport

kad11

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Sport
Hey everyone,
I just joined this site to hopefully find some help. I recently bought a 1994 explorer sport. I am currently encountering 2 separate problems.

1. Bad Gas Mileage

The metal lines coming out of the fuel pump were corroded and leaking, so I had dropped the tank and replaced them. This was a few months ago. Recently I have been experiencing some bad gas mileage, I calculated it to be 13.2 after some mixed city/highway. I was reading some other posts here, and I am wondering if the fuel pressure regulator could be bad. Also, I was thinking I should probably change the fuel filter as well. If anyone could shed some light on this problem I would appreciate it. Interestingly though, I drove all highway for 1 quarter tank after filling, and got 18.5 mpg. It also seem my fuel efficientcy degrades as the tank empties. I appreciate any help.

2. 4x4 not engaging

I can push the button on the dash and it sounds as though the transfer case engages. As I try to accelerate, the hubs seem to make a clicking sound. In deep snow, the front tires do not engage and continue to click. I suspect that the automatic hubs have gone bad. Is there anyway to repair them or should I just replace them with manual ones?

Thank you for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also replaced the fuel pump. Just thought I would add that.

First, your MPG doesn't sound bad at all for a first gen explorer, I usually get closer to 10 miles per gallon! Of course I tend to have a heavy foot, so that has a lot to do with it! As far as your four wheel drive is concerned, does the 4x4 light come on when you engage the four wheel drive? If so, then your transfer case is working, and the problem is your hubs. They may not be bad, per se, but may just need cleaning. On the other hand, the manual hubs are a lot stronger and more reliable than the automatic ones.

Hey dude, welcome to the site.

I suggest you do some searches for auto hubs, it's been done to death.

Good luck.

I agree with MayJan on the gas mileage! I usually get 9-11mpg city, and before a recent repair got ~18-19 highway.

My EGR Valve&Tube AND DPFE (I believe... the sensor for the EGR) were bad, and I replaced them myself - I now seem to be getting an amazing 22-23 highway, going 55mph (speed limit in the UP) ... and around 21 going 70mph (Speed limit in the LP). Still haven't calculated city gas mileage yet, but it seems the same which makes sense as the EGR mainly works only on the highway, from my understanding.

Check your Tire Pressure! I can't stress that enough. It can make a big difference. My tires (A/T, stock size) are normally ~30-32PSI, but I increased to 40PSI (Tire max is 45) and gained 1+ MPG before the EGR replacement.

There's some other simple modifications you could do as well to increase gas mileage - go over to www.gassavers.org and there's great info there (I have a thread there about my Explorer).

Can't help ya on the 4x4 :/

Wow, i'm surprised about the gas mileage. Online sources give estimated values at 14/19 city/hwy. So with half city, half highway I was expecting to average somewhere between those values. Maybe around 16 mpg or so. I will try raising the tire pressure, that will definitely lower the rolling resistance. As far as the 4x4 goes, the light on the dash does illuminate, therefore I really think the auto hubs are bad. I will try that cleaning technique. Thanks for the help guys...

Back