Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4x4

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by sr71bb, October 4, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. sr71bb

sr71bb New Member

City, State:
      Norton, Massachusetts
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 Explorer sport
      Hello, newbie here, I just purchased my first explorer sport this week (2001). I traded in a 98 ford winstar. I could'nt get rid of it fast enough. What problems. Anyways, this is my first 4x4. The truck did not come with an owners manual, but i will be getting it soon from the dealer. Can anybody explain how to use four wheel drive. When and when not to use it. How to engage and disengage, and when do you use 4x4 high or 4x4 low. I figured i could get some help here till i get my owners manual. Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. JoshC

JoshC Only rolled it once honey

City, State:
      Culloden, WV
      97 4d OHV
      Hey, welcome aboard, i hope we can be of some help to you.

Let me see if i can explain this to you. The only time you are really going to need to actually engage your 4wd is when you are in some heavy snow, or some thick mud. Your 2001 is equipped with AUTO 4wd, as you will see on your 4wd selector knob. 97 and up came with this AUTO setup, most of us hate it, but for a family vehicle or an on road only truck it is great. I'm not sure how much off roading you are planning on getting into, but if you just stick to the road, you'll probably never really have to get into 4wd unless you are pulling something or someone.

I use my 4lo all the time. When i'm wheeling that is all i use. The only time i really use my 4 hi is like i said, i snow or on a flat stretch of this mud and some holes. If you are in the back yard and you are pulling some stumps, then that is when you use 4lo. If you are trying to climb over something and you already have it in 4hi and it takes putting it to the floor to make it over it, then you should be in 4lo, you'll get the hang of it.

Engaging it is simple. The 4hi option is shift on the fly. I'm not sure of the max speed, but it is probably like 60 mph or something like that. As long as you aren't stuck and spinning your tires like crazy, then you can shift into 4hi anytime you want, on non hard surfaces of course. To engage 4lo you have to be at a complete stop, put it in Neutral, foot on the brake and move it over to 4lo, it might take a couple of seconds, but i can actually hear it clicking when mine switches over. When you hear it you do, put it in drive and feel the power! Lo makes a world of difference. You really just need to take it out in a wet field or something where you can play around a little and get the feel of it before you actually have to use it sometime. The AUTO will keep you from spinning because it engages the 4wd as needed for extra traction on the road. So if you are off in a field and you feel it jerking and cluncking, then you know your AUTO is working like it should.

Hope i helped you out a little bit, don't be shy to ask anymore questions!

Happy trails!!

4. sr71bb

sr71bb New Member

City, State:
      Norton, Massachusetts
      2001 Explorer sport
      Thanks josh. This clears things up quite a bit. After years of driving ordinary cars, i decided to take the plunge into 4x4. I was hesitant at first, but what the heck. I'm tired of worrying about snow storms here in New England. I also commute about 40 miles to get to work, not that i'm so concerned about getting there. It's comforting to know i won't get stuck there. By the way, the wife loves it. She's gone from minivan mom to 4x4 girl. Also, is there a web site where i can find out about service bulletins for my vehicle. Thank you so much.

5. rydinhigh

rydinhigh Guest

First off welcome to the site.

I am from CT. so I feel your pain. With my X I only got stuck in the snow once. I drove into an unplowed drive way with about 3 feet of snow in it. I made it up and into the driveway fine but once I let my truck sit there it sank into the snow and the frame was being held up by the snow. Kinda freaky if you ask me.

Well you have come across the best Explorer site.
      sorry I cant help you out with the service bullitens but some one else here will be able to.

6. JoshC

City, State:
      Culloden, WV
      97 4d OHV
      You are very welcome:D

You've come to right place for help!

Happy trails!!

7. Tarron

Tarron Active Member

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO & Ft Garland, CO
      99 Sport 4X4
      Service bulletins

Check with your Ford dealer as mine has a web site that I registered at and it gave me my whole vehicle recall/maintenance history. They send you email from time to time on specials they are having and what maintenance is due on your X, but you don't have to get your work done there to use their site. Also call the Ford 1-800 number and get your name and address put in their records so they send any recall info on your X to you.

On another note, just remember as your using all the new 4X4 traction of your X that you still have the same 4 wheel stop that all cars have. Most of the vehicles I see off the road in snow storms are 4X4s that thought they were glued to the road. :)

Last edited: October 9, 2002
    8. sr71bb

sr71bb New Member

City, State:
      Norton, Massachusetts
      2001 Explorer sport
      Sway bar

What a great web site for information. Lot's of juicy stuff. Not that i'm getting the mod bug, but.... there is one thing i would like to do. I would like to add a rear sway bar. I've heard this is one upgrade that is most worthwile. I hear everybody mentioning here about a company called EE or something that has them. Any info or web location for them?

9. JoshC

City, State:
      Culloden, WV
      97 4d OHV
      That company is Explorer Express and that is their website also, you 2001 should have a rear sway bar on it, i'm pretty sure that all the 2nd genereations do.

Heck, i took, my rear sway bar off!

Happy trails!!

10. TPLYNCH

TPLYNCH Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Brewster, NY
      1999 XLS
      For service bulletins, go to www.alldata.com

I believe if you pay, you get the full text.