4x4CM Fire!

scorpo8972

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mississauga, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi, I was replacing my 4x4cm because the other is dead. Disconnected battery and put plugs into correct sockets, plug battery in and boom fireworks show and a mini fire in the module, caught the carpet a bit on fire and all my receipts and bank statements are in burnt crispy state. Stomping on everything seemed to kill the fire, thank god!.

Now my question is why in the hell did this happen and how can I replace my 4x4cm now, nervous to even dare try another one. Good thing it was only one I found in an ex at the wreckers. Same year and model trim.

I need help, finally recovering from the shock and not happy my truck smells like electrical fire smoke even after leaving sunroof open and all windows done while driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ohhhh. I pulled a CM from a wrecked explorer and it turned on my dash and radio and everything! Unplugged that in a heart beat! There a couple different model numbers for CM so ya know. For explorers with traction control, with out traction control, etc... I have an early build 02 with OUT TC.

ohhhh. I pulled a CM from a wrecked explorer and it turned on my dash and radio and everything! Unplugged that in a heart beat! There a couple different model numbers for CM so ya know. For explorers with traction control, with out traction control, etc... I have an early build 02 with OUT TC.

I have a late build 2002 without TC or SC. Both I pulled had different module numbers and were from 2003 limiteds. Thing is There is like 10+ module numbers. But I heard ford updated them and the updates have a different number. So I have no clue what module number is for mine. Don't want the original as we all now it will go bad.

Seriously, call ford, give them your VIN and have double check that they can order the right one. Mine was $200. worth it for knowing it will work exactly as it should...

Seriously, call ford, give them your VIN and have double check that they can order the right one. Mine was $200. worth it for knowing it will work exactly as it should...

This is why I'm on here as I went to Ford any they were useless as ever. Um I dunno, sorry sir I'm just a parts guy I dunno. Last time I check 4x4cm is a part. Clearly they just hire people with no parts background knowledge whats so ever. Or too lazy to look up part numbers. I never go to Ford because it's just a waste of gas. They want you to have it serviced there, not buy parts. Last time I went to Ford they tried to charged me $2400 for just a bearing replacement telling me everything is bad and needs to be replaced. I said nope had it towed free from caa back to my own mechanic the next day and it just needed a bearing and hub totaling $355.

Hence why I call them stealerships.

hmmm... my uncle knows the ford guys near him so he knows the smart ones... hmmm. I called ford for the plate bracket because of ny. They seemed to know what they were talking about. Sorry to hear you had bad luck... Mine had to be ordered in. Try a big ford dealership in like dallas texas. Go for good reviews. Dallas has some huge dealerships that treat you really well.

I remember reading in here about people installing the wrong 4X4 CM and the worst that happened was blown fuses. It's been pretty well documented that the best way to get the right updated CM is to supply your VIN to a reputable Ford dealer doing online business. I think that is what Joe is suggesting also. My fav is silver state ford in Las Vegas. They have a website where you can email or call. There have been discussions about difficulties with parts exports before, but don't know if that's an issue at silver state ford. Call them and see. Hope you don't have bigger problems than just a dead CM.

I remember reading in here about people installing the wrong 4X4 CM and the worst that happened was blown fuses. It's been pretty well documented that the best way to get the right updated CM is to supply your VIN to a reputable Ford dealer doing online business. I think that is what Joe is suggesting also. My fav is silver state ford in Las Vegas. They have a website where you can email or call. There have been discussions about difficulties with parts exports before, but don't know if that's an issue at silver state ford. Call them and see. Hope you don't have bigger problems than just a dead CM.

I hope as well I don't have a bigger issue. I need 4x4. I live in CANADA LOL and the winters just got brutal. Here its extremely hot in summer and extremely cold in winter. RWD even with a sub box above the rear wheels isn't going to get traction especially since I don't have TC/SC or even ABS(currently down). Ummm for abs do i need the sensor with harness or just the sensor. The one with harness is 70 a pop and without is 30 a pop.

BTW can you please tell me where the fuses are located for the 4x4cm. I'm going to stop into the Ford dealer where i bought mine and have them look up the parts. My city is huge(6th largest in canada with over a million population) and there is like 8 ford dealers with a new 9th one being built. I find meadowvale ford and dixie ford useless. Don't want to burn gas to go to the other side of the city but I guess I have to.

Oh and add that to the top of your worst can happen: FIRE! And I nice aroma of electrical fire smoke :p

hmmm... my uncle knows the ford guys near him so he knows the smart ones... hmmm. I called ford for the plate bracket because of ny. They seemed to know what they were talking about. Sorry to hear you had bad luck... Mine had to be ordered in. Try a big ford dealership in like dallas texas. Go for good reviews. Dallas has some huge dealerships that treat you really well.

I tried two. Both are useless. I have 6 others to try, one of them has to have an old guy who knows his ****. Alot of the younger guys don't want to work or do their job properly. They have access to all this including TSB's but nope can't even get a tsb off of them either. Oh they refused to recall my ex. It has the hinge recall issue that is free of charge to replace. They don't want to do that either. I also wanted the latest tsb for my rear diff, nope couldn't get that either. I'm not sure which bearing kit to get(the pinions and bearing cups go bad on the originals). Timken/dorman/national/motorcraft/etc. Not sure who makes the proper kit that won't howl. It has the limited slip gear oil with friction modifier. It was a late build 02 so ford changed it over

BTW can you please tell me where the fuses are located for the 4x4cm.

Check in the Owner's Guide under Roadside Emergencies. There are diagrams with fuse locations there. I think there are 2 power fuses in the Battery Junction Box and 1 more I&C fuse under the dash in the Central Junction Box.

so you can argue me on an engine but don't have a clue about fuses....

Anyways... Like I said earlier.

Call a dealership in Dallas, Texas, USA! They always want a sale. Thats how they get huge. They take very good care of any customer who calls. Give them your VIN and they will help you.

so you can argue me on an engine but don't have a clue about fuses....

Anyways... Like I said earlier.

Call a dealership in Dallas, Texas, USA! They always want a sale. Thats how they get huge. They take very good care of any customer who calls. Give them your VIN and they will help you.

I do have a clue on fuses, I have modded the electrical lighting on this vehicle. However the electrical box is different as you know each model they change it around and add more useless electronics. A number 5 slot isn't going to be the same on another vehicle. All are different.

I'm asking on here because as usual the owners who buy vehicles before always take them out of the vehicle and into some box in their home. I don't understand the logic in removing a manual for your vehicle and putting it in a box in your closet but that's the typical thing they do.

It doesn't make it easier when you have 3 fuse boxes. I'm guessing the 4x4 cm is in the engine right? Now where do I go to find a diagram for the fuses.

Check in the Owner's Guide under Roadside Emergencies. There are diagrams with fuse locations there. I think there are 2 power fuses in the Battery Junction Box and 1 more I&C fuse under the dash in the Central Junction Box.

Sadly I'm the third owner and sadly one of those two previous owners thought it was a brilliant idea to keep the owners manual and the cargo cover.

I found a manual at the wreckers, book and everything with the protective case, just in case I need it again, Thanks for the link. I went to a better Ford dealer where I bought my truck actually and he said $457 plus tax :O Are they insane. Motorola charges way to much for these stupid modules.

Another question, winter tires. I want your opinion on either of two tires I'm looking at. Cooper Discoverer M+S OR Michelin Lattitude X-Ice Xi2.

Another question, Can I upgrade to TC if I wanted to do so in future?

Last question both rear ABS sensors are bad in the rear wheels. I have no TC or SC so I get the lucky cheaper sensor a $40 a pop. One problem, no one sells it anymore, not Candian Tire, not Partsource, not NAPA, not even FORD.

What do I do when no one sells the part I need. I can't use ones meant for TC and SC obviousily right?

Try rockauto

Back