Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

5.0 - 5.7 FMS CONVERSION DONE!!

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by X-Box, October 6, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. X-Box

X-Box Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Hollywood, Fl
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      99 EB V-8
      Hey everyone,
      Well what seemed like forever for me is finally over...I brought home my X last week and the engine swap is complete....

It only has 1K mi on it so I can't take it to Morosso yet but i did a few 0-60 runs and the time dropped from a 10.33 to a best of 7.65.:) Remember it's a fully loadad 4-door EB and weighs around 4400lbs. It's very fast if you stomp it at any speed while moving. I'm still waiting for some engine parts to come in and I'll be down in Miami 10/8 getting a custom 2.5" true dual exhaust added from the Headers back to Mustang style 2.5" SS tips and a 50 series Flowmaster.

I also bought a set of 18X9 Axis Vector wheels that are still at the machine shop, but I'm hopping to get them in a couple of days. I'll be posting some pics in a day or two. And I'll post the dyno results when the motor has 2k mi on it. Dom

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it fuel injected and all???

Nice Job.

4. X-Box

X-Box Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Hollywood, Fl
      99 EB V-8
      Yes...We used the factory set up....You'd never know there was any difference in the engine untill you see the tall "Trick Flow" valve covers..or if it's running the truck shakes and then you know something is a miss!

5. jssong

jssong Well-Known Member

City, State:
      wow.. thats awesome.. cant wait to see some numbers.. and definately pics and video clips if u can.. i would love to see what numbers u can run..;) ;)

6. blk mk8

blk mk8 Active Member

City, State:
      brother
      Troll's
      it looks really nice saw it in person. we are hopeing to get a south florida explorer round up soon so we can take pictures of all the fastest explorers in the country that are down here.

7. expo5.0

expo5.0 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Red Wing, MN
      1996 xlt
      wow, can't wait for dyno results and pictures.

i might have to come down to florida just to see the explorers at that meet.

8. jjue

jjue Elite Explorer<br>sXc Member

City, State:
      Brandon, MS
      '07 Nissan Titan CC LE
      Hmmm, when is this going meet going to happen? I might have to travel from Mississippi to see this.

9. espnfreak

espnfreak Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Elgin, IL
      '99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
      props 2 u

10. blk mk8

blk mk8 Active Member

City, State:
      brother
      Troll's
      hopefully some time in nov so we can all make it. ps the motor size is 5.6 liters.

11. X-Box

X-Box Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Hollywood, Fl
      99 EB V-8
      I came up with 347cu = 5686cc (based on 16.388cc's = 1 cu/in) thus the 5.686 but rounding the .6 to .7 because of the .08 ..:)

I found another formula whereas 67.2cu/in = 1.1L which also gave me 5680cc or 5.680L or 5.7....is this right?

Well anyway, it's close enough for me.

P.S. Miguel did a fantastic job on the true dual header-back 2 1/2" mandrel bent exhaust. The 2 1/2" SS tips look better than the factory could have done. See you Fri.. Dom:)

Last edited: October 8, 2002
    12. blk mk8

blk mk8 Active Member

City, State:
      brother
      Troll's
      lets meet up on friday for shure i heard it is very bad @ss. does it run a lot better now you fix the vaccum leaks.

13. CowboyPinky

CowboyPinky New Member

City, State:
      Savannah Missouri
      '91 Explorer XLT
      I've always used 60.8 cu/in = 1L.

14. rocket 5979

rocket 5979 Resident Gearhead

City, State:
      Lake Villa, Illinois
      '03 XLT 4.6
      hey another one takes the plunge and got the 347. man i cannot wait to get back home. i live in southern mississippi and would love to come but i am currently overseas. maybe if you all wanted to meet again later this next year i would be game. by then i will have decided whether or not i am putting the 347 in mine or not. all up in the air now. i am curious to see the dyno numbers myself too. sounds like it will be another ricer killer.

15. rocket 5979

City, State:
      Lake Villa, Illinois
      '03 XLT 4.6
      hey dominic where did ya order all this stuff from? and did you install it all yourself?

16. blk mk8

blk mk8 Active Member

City, State:
      brother
      Troll's
      a 347 is the only way to go. you need the max torque you can make with your motor because of how big the truck is. a 331 or 302 will just not cut it with such a load. a 347 with 175 shot will be a real fast truck and would be real nice day to day driving with a blower you will loose some drivablity.

17. haktmal

haktmal Active Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      98 Sport OHV
      That's pretty awesome dominic. Great to hear!

18. tmsoko

tmsoko Active Member

City, State:
      Plymouth, MI
      2010 Adrenalin
      Congrats on finishing the swap. Once you get the new engine broken in, I would be interested to know the effect on fuel mileage. I have been throwing around the idea of a 347 or 351W vs. converting a KB supercharger to fit. I just don't know if i will ever find all the cash for the blower.

Sounds like the 347 may just be the hot ticket.

19. X-Box

X-Box Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Hollywood, Fl
      99 EB V-8
      Todd,
      Watch out, the strocker build gets very expensive very quickly. You can bolt on a powerdyne for around $3200 and still utilize all the stock injectors, mass air, etc. If you are mechanically inclined you can do the install yourself and save a couple of bucks. I've spent around $6000 so far and I'm not done. It really depends on what your goal is. I'm very happy so far with the engine, but when I started this I knew I was going to do more. I built the bottom to be bullitproof so as to keep up with the power adder(supercharger). If you put in a stroker crank yourself you'll save a bundle, but you can't just put a $1200 stroker kit in. The heads won't flow the potential of the motor and here lies the problem, where do you stop? I just put a 2 1/2" true dual exhaust with mandel bends on and it cost over $600. Now that the exhaust can flow freely I need to open up the intake 80mm mass air, 30lb injectors, high volume fuel pump, etc.
      In essance an engine is just a big air pump. more in, more power, more out.
      Figure out what will be right for your application and remember it will cost more anyway!;)
      Good luck with your project. Dom

P.S I've got 1500mi on the motor and I get 14mpg at 80mph on the highway(4.10 rear @ 2500rpm) and it drops to around 11 in the city. It's hard to drive around without gunning it!

20. blk mk8

blk mk8 Active Member

City, State:
      brother
      Troll's
      Troll gets 8-10 not matter what but then again it is capable of going ten's at the track. like i said before it is the only way to go. you can use stock injectors in a 347 and you your mileage will be affected but it will not be that drastic. a blower would use more fuel then a n/a 347 would. i think the best ticket is a 347 N/A it is better then a blower because it is always there and unlike nos it does not have to be refilled and it adds as much power as both would. the better part is if you get bored you can put a blower or nos on it.

21. DeagleDave

DeagleDave Active Member

City, State:
      Mount Dora, FL
      '92 XLT
      I live in Mt. Dora (little north or orlando)...i'd be interested in seeing this thing for myself too. Lemme know when you guys are gettin together!

22. rocket 5979

City, State:
      Lake Villa, Illinois
      '03 XLT 4.6
      well since it is only going to be a little more expensive i might as well go with the whole new motor and all. at least like alot of people have said then i can add other stuff later if i get bored instead of just ending up with a blower. i will be back in december and would also like to meet up with bill to see the troll or even meet with dom to see his x. that would be such a push over the top to get it done. plus also then i am sure you could give me some good tips and advice on stuff and also maybe be able to point me in the right direction to a shop that wont do me wrong. thanks.