5.0 Mounty engine swap into 2000 X with bad 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Mounty engine swap into 2000 X with bad 4.0

d-wolf

Reaction score
City, State
paragould ar.
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer limited editi
I need advice as to what you would do in this situation,1st,my girl rolls her '98 5.0AWD Mounty,nothing left to the body,frame,motor are fine,it was an excellent truck till now,ok,i have a 2000 XLT with the 4.0,its the 6cycl anyway,i just picked it up at a sale,its a 4x4,the motor is bad,everything,body interrior,trans,ect are in excellent condition,my question is,would it be best to swap the bad 6 in the 2000 and replace it with the Mountys 5.0 or would should i remove the body from the mounty and replace it with the 2000 body,i perfer the AWD as i have ben driving a 98'AWD XLT 4past 5years.I no nothing about what problems there'd be trying to put the 98 MOUNTYS 5.0 AWD in the 2000 4x4 the has the bad 6cyl. i no removing the body would also be a job. Just like some of you guys opinions.I may decide to part them out if i'm convienced it may be more work than i care to tackle.If the 5.0 could fit in the 6cyl. x without a lot of bullxxx,modifying,ect,i'd go that route i believe.thanks for your time and attention,any advise is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to be a downer, both situations can be done, but with A LOT of work needed. I would just part them out and get another truck. For the motor swap, you need the motor, trans?, computer, possibly a few other things aswell, Car wirring is never fun, let alone puttin the actual motor in the truck. It will fit, they are for all intensive perposes the same truck.

A lot of work either way but if you use the 2000 body at least the result will likely have slightly higher value. Also consider if there are any options inside one truck you would like to keep.

to give you a hint on some of the things you would need, click on my registry in my sig. i start my swap around page 13. granted, i used a different transfercase, but it will give you a idea on what you would need. plus, you would also have to change most of the fuel system over. 98 and down have a return system, where 99 and up where returnless.

It would be a lot of work! Either one. Probably more than you are expecting. If you have competent help it wouldn't be as bad as doing the work alone.

I'd swap the 5.0 into the ford.

You will have to modify the fuel system but that won't be the hardest part imo.

Everything else should literally be bolt in.

Ditto, it's a lot of work. But judge the 302/4R engine/trans by condition and value, plus the good truck and features. If it's got a good enough value to you, then swap the parts around. The 302/4R are very reliable, but at old age the timing chain needs to be replaced, and do the water pump and bolts while in there. Swapping the engine will give you great access to the engine for that kind of tough job.

The two trucks have virtually all of the parts you will need. If you are in an emissions zone you might want to update the 98 engine to a 99-01 for the computer and fuel system, but if emissions are no issue, leave the 98 as a set of parts/PCM/PATS modules and key(matching key and ignition cylinder). With the trucks apart most of they way, it's not hard to swap the fuel lines, just remove the gas tanks and they are easy to access. There will be some minor wiring things to work out, but nothing huge given the two complete vehicles to work with.

Back